Second suicide by train on my street in roughly a week...

boyst

Just a PSA...

We all know times are tough right now, the holiday season only complicates it, but please remember people out there care!

If you need to talk to someone, call someone...

if you have no one to talk to, call

the national suicide hotline:

1-800-273-8255

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a PSA...

We all know times are tough right now, the holiday season only complicates it, but please remember people out there care!

1-800-273-8255

In a Christmas miracle, I won't respond sarcastically.

As someone who's dragged himself off that ledge, I get a chill when I hear about a successful suicide. Be well, everyone.

Really? You sure don't seem the type.

Don't ever let it fool you, the type. When I was in High School my brothers best friend, a guy I looked up to (4 years older maybe 5) then I did not seem the type - by me at least. I had not known of his bipolar disorder. He was a top scholar at the largest all boys school in Toledo, amazing athlete who played in the NCAA, and just a phenomenol person. He took his life one Fall night, it was painful. His family was heavily impacted - his youngest brother almost quit football while his middle brother stopped playing soccer for nearly an entire season. His youngest brother went on to become the first ever true freshman walk-on to start for Joe Paterno and played 3 or 4 years in the NFL for the Colts and Steelers. His other brother became the schools kicker and is now a Dr. Despite where both are in life now I know they would give it all up to have their brother back.

In a Christmas miracle, I won't respond sarcastically.

I'm glad I'm not the only one suddenly in some sort of Christmas spirit.

Alright folks, here's the thing: there are very few people who know the urgency of suicidal feelings and those who do know the sheer torment, pushing you closer to the edge with thoughts of escape. There aren't many words that can reach people who feel like this so if someone you know is feeling like this you need to get them professional help. In the meantime, don't leave them and hope against all hope that you can remind them of something to live for, if just for another day so that maybe, just maybe, you can get them help that can relieve their pain. You might just save someone's life (and, most importantly, if you fail it is not your fault. Biggest mistake of my life was blaming myself for a friend's suicide).

And if you are feeling suicidal, do anything you can to put off killing yourself for another minute or hour. Call a friend or relative, or call 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK any hour of the day, any day of the week. What harm can it do? I know it doesn't seem like there's a way out but what harm can it do to just talk to someone for a measly few minutes? And who knows? Maybe you'll find some relief to that awful pain.

Not necessarily responding to you personally, but

THERE IS NO TYPE

The only thing that might distinguish someone you know as suicidal are sudden changes in demeanor or behavior. Which is why if someone tells you they are suicidal, believe them. You can't risk being wrong about it and not believe them.

Edited by LeviF91

About 4 years ago when I was a college freshman, I ran into some trouble. Pre-existing social anxiety/avoidance issues prevented me from seeking help and it almost came to the worst. Once, I found myself quite literally on a ledge (a gorge, as it were), considering the leap. After that, I finally called my sister. My family and close friends were all incredibly supportive. I got the necessary help (no medication) and I've been a content person since - not without problems, but they won't cripple me again.

In retrospect, it seems so dumb. I'm a very fortunate person in a myriad of ways. Thing is, you can't think logically like that when you're in the depths of it.

If anyone wants to watch a moving documentary about this topic I suggest watching The Bridge (IMDB)

I've not watched the whole thing but I have seen bits and pieces of it and it's incredible. I drive over that bridge all the time and see all the people walking across it wondering if any of them are thinking about jumping. A girl rode her bike an incredible distance (my wife mapped it out) and jumped. She went missing and they found her bike in a park near the bridge. They had all sorts of people looking for her but I know right away she jumped.

The Bridge.

Surprised I found the full version. It's very intense.

Edited by Chef Jim

And if you are feeling suicidal, do anything you can to put off killing yourself for another minute or hour. Call a friend or relative, or call 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK any hour of the day, any day of the week.

Or just turn off the damn Bills game.

Just a PSA...

1-800-273-8255

Great post....excellent idea to put this type of info out there. It is an incredibly difficult time of year for many people... and you never know how something as simple as starting a discussion, or posting a phone number, may affect someone.

Alright folks, here's the thing: there are very few people who know the urgency of suicidal feelings and those who do know the sheer torment, pushing you closer to the edge with thoughts of escape. There aren't many words that can reach people who feel like this so if someone you know is feeling like this you need to get them professional help. In the meantime, don't leave them and hope against all hope that you can remind them of something to live for, if just for another day so that maybe, just maybe, you can get them help that can relieve their pain. You might just save someone's life (and, most importantly, if you fail it is not your fault. Biggest mistake of my life was blaming myself for a friend's suicide).

And if you are feeling suicidal, do anything you can to put off killing yourself for another minute or hour. Call a friend or relative, or call 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK any hour of the day, any day of the week. What harm can it do? I know it doesn't seem like there's a way out but what harm can it do to just talk to someone for a measly few minutes? And who knows? Maybe you'll find some relief to that awful pain.

THERE IS NO TYPE

The only thing that might distinguish someone you know as suicidal are sudden changes in demeanor or behavior. Which is why if someone tells you they are suicidal, believe them. You can't risk being wrong about it and not believe them.

Great advice in there. I want to echo the 'no type' thought: Suicide/depression is like so many other health problems. You will see a cross section of all parts of society. Lastly, the point about believing someone is critical. If someone 'jokes' about killing themselves you need to treat that seriously. In fact, many profoundly depressed patients will seem to 'be better' right before they commit suicide. It stems from a sense of peace that they have a plan and have made a decision. Again, no person necessarily follows a particular pattern but these are some thoughts to keep on your radar if you know a person who may be at risk. Always error on the side of caution/protecting the person.

About 4 years ago when I was a college freshman, I ran into some trouble. Pre-existing social anxiety/avoidance issues prevented me from seeking help and it almost came to the worst. Once, I found myself quite literally on a ledge (a gorge, as it were), considering the leap. After that, I finally called my sister. My family and close friends were all incredibly supportive. I got the necessary help (no medication) and I've been a content person since - not without problems, but they won't cripple me again.

In retrospect, it seems so dumb. I'm a very fortunate person in a myriad of ways. Thing is, you can't think logically like that when you're in the depths of it.

Happy to hear you worked through that and thanks for being willing to share it as well.

Really glad that you made it through that. Didn't that gorge claim a number of lives a few years ago? I remember hearing a lot about it when I was in college back in the Stone Ages.

Not necessarily responding to you personally, but

THERE IS NO TYPE

Well I stand corrected, never having known anyone who committed suicide. But I always considered "the type" someone who has lost interest in everything they loved to do, and never really seems interested in anything anymore.

Well I stand corrected, never having known anyone who committed suicide. But I always considered "the type" someone who has lost interest in everything they loved to do, and never really seems interested in anything anymore.

No, that would be the aforementioned Bills fan.