Lowe's 'All-American Muslim' Advertising Decision Blasted

B-Large

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/14/chris-murphy-lowes-ads_n_1148542.html

So why are polictians voicing an opinion/budding in on this subject? Frankly, Lowe's in a public company that's only obligation is to Sales, Margin and Stock holders....

If a violation of law or a crime is commmitted, then perhaps.... but they do not need to a voice in the dealing of companies and the advertising budgets... and where the choose to spend that money.

The Government is involed in SO MANY places where it has no business... and that is private sector advertising choices, consenting adults bedrooms among many other places....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/14/chris-murphy-lowes-ads_n_1148542.html

So why are polictians voicing an opinion/budding in on this subject? Frankly, Lowe's in a public company that's only obligation is to Sales, Margin and Stock holders....

If a violation of law or a crime is commmitted, then perhaps.... but they do not need to a voice in the dealing of companies and the advertising budgets... and where the choose to spend that money.

The Government is involed in SO MANY places where it has no business... and that is private sector advertising choices, consenting adults bedrooms among many other places....

Congress should refocus on important stuff, like deciding which baseball players' home runs are legitimate.

So why are polictians voicing an opinion/budding in on this subject?

Please. The very first time I saw this show being advertised, my immediate thought was "Oh, man, the liberals must be salivating at the thought of anyone doing or saying anything negative about this show."

And here comes idiot number one, calling the choice made by Lowes "rubber stamping basic foundational bigotry."

Yes, I'm sure that's precisely what Lowes is doing. How utterly embarrassing.

Please. The very first time I saw this show being advertised, my immediate thought was "Oh, man, the liberals must be salivating at the thought of anyone doing or saying anything negative about this show."

And here comes idiot number one, calling the choice made by Lowes "rubber stamping basic foundational bigotry."

From what I read yesterday, that's pretty much what they are doing: caving to the bigotry of people who threatened to boycott them for sponsoring a show about towel-heads.

Unless the powers-that-be at Lowe's are engaging in some sort of subtle performance-art, and using a reality show about the daily life Muslim-Americans to demonstrate the bigotry faced in the daily lives of Muslim-Americans. Admittedly, they're not "Home Despot" level stupid, but I'm not giving Lowe's THAT much credit for smarts, either.

Jonah Goldberg

Not Bigotry, Judgment

December 14, 2011 2:04 P.M. By Jonah Goldberg

The travel site Kayak is not renewing its ad buy for “Muslim in America.” Why? Because TLC handled things badly and well, read the statement from the Kayak marketing director all the way to the last line below:

Please allow me to explain the decision. First, our approach to advertising decisions is to choose advertising based on who watches it, not the political leaning of the program.

When we decided to give our money to TLC for this program, we deemed the show a worthy topic. When we received angry emails regarding our decision to advertise, I looked into the show more thoroughly.

The first thing I discovered was that TLC was not upfront with us about the nature of this show. As I said, it’s a worthy topic, but any reasonable person would know that this topic is a particular lightning rod. We believe TLC went out of their way to pick a fight on this, and they didn’t let us know their intentions. That’s not a business practice that generally gets repeat business from us. I also believe that it did this subject a grave disservice. Sadly, TLC is now enjoying the attention from this controversy.

{snip}

Lastly, I watched the first two episodes. Mostly, I just thought the show sucked.

If Family Guy can find advertisers, anyone can. They make fun of Jews, Jesus, 9/11, and so on and so forth. Same with South Park, but a show about Muslims living in America is a "lightning rod"? Come on!!!

http://www.huffingto..._n_1148542.html

I agree with you that politicians shouldn't have a say in this matter and if their sales are affected negatively because of their sponsorship of the program then I can agree with their decision, as well, but if the real reason for pulling ads were anything other than these reasons I mentioned, than it's just wrong to do so.

Going to Lowes for a new light fixture for the kitchen. Any suggestions?

Always preferred Lowes to Home Despot myself, although the locally-owned hardware store nearby always gets my first visit.

You think that's bad, everything here is in french :bag:

Every time I hear the Canadian anthem sung at a Nordiques or Canadiens game, I can't help wondering if the Canadian anthem in French is the same as in English, or if the French-Canadians change it to something like "O Canada, we hate your Limey guts. We're Quebecois, so kiss our Gallic nuts..."

Every time I hear the Canadian anthem sung at a Nordiques or Canadiens game, I can't help wondering if the Canadian anthem in French is the same as in English, or if the French-Canadians change it to something like "O Canada, we hate your Limey guts. We're Quebecois, so kiss our Gallic nuts..."

Throw in..

... but please keep sending us transfer payments

What an azz munch Murphy is.

"This country was founded on the premise of religious freedom and this body should never remain silent when a group of people is marginalized just because they worship
a different God
."

Dorkbreath doesn't even know Christians and Muslims worship the same God. Granted, it's not his god - government.

Political expediency strikes again. No doubt he'll hop on the other side of the argument when his droogs start a boycott he fancies is just.

Stupid reason to pull your ads...becuase some marginal little group told you to.

But then again, companies pull ads all the time becuase of pressure from marginal groups of PC idiots.

Lowes decision is stupid, but what will be telling is how Kayak is treated. They seemed to have viewed the show and decided the audience wasnt in their target, so they decided to refocus their media spend. This happens about a billion times a day in the marketing/advertising world. Will they get the same "youre a bigot!" treatment? Hope not.

Edited by RkFast

Right, because the fact that no one is watching doesn't impact their advertising dollars.

From what I read yesterday, that's pretty much what they are doing: caving to the bigotry of people who threatened to boycott them for sponsoring a show about towel-heads

You're right. But "rubber stamping basic foundational bigotry"? Really?

The rhetoric is truly embarrassing.