Thoughts re game and related matters

jahnyc

1. If Edwards is fired, I hope that Wanny is not the replacement. I have to believe that he has been involved in the game planning this year, and I think the Bills defense needs a fresh start and a new scheme.

2. Good luck to Nix in figuring out this mess. We all know what they will say at season end: it was the injuries. While this may have been part of the problem, there is a lot more going on here. What do you do about Fitz? Is he still the guy? Do the Bills give Fred more money (he will be 31 to start next season)? What about Stevie? Can the team count on Woods being effective next year? How do you fix the defense? There are some daunting issues facing the Bills and the front office, and I have no confidence that Nix is up to the job.

3. Clearly, this team lacks talent, and the 2010 draft looks like a complete bust. Carrington does nothing and who knows if Troup will be healthy and develop. Spiller looks average to me, and seems to go down easily when hit or tackled. The offense misses Fred in part because of his ability to break tackles and make something out of nothing.

4. The Bills planned poorly this year. Did anyone really think that Merriman would stay healthy this year? In the current scheme, Moats and Batten are busts. Using Spencer Johnson and Kelsay as outside linebackers is ridiculous. How does a team go into the season like this? There were free agents that we could have signed that would have been big improvements over this group of outside linebackers.

5. Hairston did not have a good game today. I really do not want to hear from the Bills this offseason that this guy is our left tackle of the future. It would be another excuse not to improve this team.

6. I still do not understand the signing of Brad Smith. WIth so many other needs and the change in the kick return rules, why did this make any sense?

7. Can Sheppard play? I know he had a lot of tackles today, but I noticed that he made some bad plays and seems slow.

8. Incredible that other teams can turn around things in one or two years. We have devoted resources to fixing the defense, and it is still a mess. I really do not want to hear any excuses about needing players for the scheme when the Texans and 49ers can make such significant improvements in their defenses in one season. This defense seems really far away from being a strong unit.

9. A couple of positives: the Bills seems to have found decent players in Urbick, Rhinehart and Chandler. Also, the Bills are not penalized often, which can be a sign of good coaching.

10. I would love to see significant changes this offseason, but there is no way that the Bills could attract a talented GM with our recent history and our ownership situation.

11. As has been the case over the last number of years, as fans, we are left wondering whether the problems are with the players, the coaching, the front office, or the owner. I assume it is a combination of all of these things, and, unfortunately, there is no hope that it gets fixed this offseason.