Thank God We Didn't Draft This Guy

H2o

I thought that Nix basically said after the draft that the Bills would not have taken Von Miller if he had been available. I also recall some noise that the Bills would have been interested in Gabbert if Dareus had been selected before the Bills picked. If both of these items are true, then it confirms our worst suspicions about the competency of our front office. Regarding Gabbert, I thought most of the top picks signed contracts that were fully guaranteed for the full term.

I think the front office lucked out with the Dareus pick in that he was a no-brainer after Newton and Von Miller were off the board.

Consider for a moment where this "noise" comes from. Player agents wanting to fluff up their clients? Draft gurus playing yenta with players and teams? (Bills need QB...Gabbert is QB...therefore Bills want Gabbert.) I seriously doubt Buddy Nix tells anyone what his draft plans are.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

thats the beauty of the rookie pay scale...very easy to cut ties with little consequence.

Well, very little financial consequence maybe.

Supposedly if Dareus was not available we were going to pick him....

Not what I had heard/read.

The Bills/Gabbert connection is not true. The Bills have repeatedly said that if they thought there was a true Franchise QB on the board, they would take him. Meaning, if they liked Gabbert, they would have taken him over Dareus.

The way it played out, it looks like the only QB the Bills had rated that high was Newton (correctly).

That being said, I never liked Gabbert. He was nothing more than a token golden boy that filled the void Luck left when he decided to stay in school. Gabbert was the definition of hype. Pretty sure Buddy saw that too.

This. ^^^

I agree you can't teach courage but that's not Gabbert's problem. If he didn't have courage he wouldn't be an NFL QB to begin with.

You can, however, teach a QB to have patience while going through his progressions. It's very uncommon for rookie QBs to have that trait right off the bat. Whether or not Gabbert can learn patience is another matter entirely.

Then again, if you get planted enough times, you tend to lose confidence and that becomes a self-defeating cycle. See Edwards, Trent.

I just never thought Gabbert looked like anything special in the first place.

GO BILLS!!!

And what guru had Andy Dalton as a can't-miss starter as a rookie? Gabbert is just the latest in a long line of draft hypes. I too scratched my head when Gabbert literally came out if nowhere to become a major prospect.

PTR

The huge difference is that Dalton was a winner in college. To me, if a QB is a 1st round prospect, they should dominate. Gabbert threw 16 tds to 9 INTs and averaged less than 7 yards per pass attempt, which is beyond awful in college.

Furthermore, the guy reeks of Trent Edwards in the pocket. He fears the rush and getting hit. He plays on a defense that is ranked in the top 5, which given the dead last offense that BG leads is an amazing accomplishment. He also has a top 5 rb. Gabbert is really, really bad and IMO got drafted that high because he looks the part. Del Rio, who I would really like as a DC, got himself fired the day they let Garrad go.

The huge difference is that Dalton was a winner in college. To me, if a QB is a 1st round prospect, they should dominate. Gabbert threw 16 tds to 9 INTs and averaged less than 7 yards per pass attempt, which is beyond awful in college.

Furthermore, the guy reeks of Trent Edwards in the pocket. He fears the rush and getting hit. He plays on a defense that is ranked in the top 5, which given the dead last offense that BG leads is an amazing accomplishment. He also has a top 5 rb. Gabbert is really, really bad and IMO got drafted that high because he looks the part. Del Rio, who I would really like as a DC, got himself fired the day they let Garrad go.

Yup^

I never like Gabbert much and i didnt see why people had him rated so high

I don't think that is fair. I am no Trent apologist, but he showed quite a bit of

toughness, in my opinion. He got hammered many times and kept getting up. He

ended up being shell-shocked I think, but that wasn't because he was skittish to

begin with.

He always sucked. Every single game.

He is/was/and always will be a glove wearing Mary. Blaine is similar.

Tom Modrak went to (IIRC) 5 Missouri games last year to scout personally. Also recall that Ralph said he was going to have the scouts really look at college QBs early in the season when Trent started out laying eggs. Now, Modrak may have been there for the ambiance and hot dogs, he may have been scouting Gabbert, or he could have been scouting some other Big 1X players the Bills never had any intention of picking and didn't. B-)

Tom Modrak went to (IIRC) 5 Missouri games last year to scout personally. Also recall that Ralph said he was going to have the scouts really look at college QBs early in the season when Trent started out laying eggs. Now, Modrak may have been there for the ambiance and hot dogs, he may have been scouting Gabbert, or he could have been scouting some other Big 1X players the Bills never had any intention of picking and didn't. B-)

Due diligence? Probably. You certainly would hope they would study each QB prospect very carefully.

The bottom line is that they had the chance to draft Gabbert and they drafted Dareus.

I thought that Nix basically said after the draft that the Bills would not have taken Von Miller if he had been available. I also recall some noise that the Bills would have been interested in Gabbert if Dareus had been selected before the Bills picked. If both of these items are true, then it confirms our worst suspicions about the competency of our front office. Regarding Gabbert, I thought most of the top picks signed contracts that were fully guaranteed for the full term.

I think the front office lucked out with the Dareus pick in that he was a no-brainer after Newton and Von Miller were off the board.

I seem to recall that Dareus or Gabbert line from Nix, too, after the draft.

And that is very scary about Bills personnel evaluation. Like they don't have a clue.

I liked Gabbert too after reading some things about him. But what the hell do fans know - watching these guys in games or Senior Bowls?

Gabbert did look lost on Monday night.

And, boy did we ever get lucky that Denver fell in love with Von Miller in the week or two before the draft.

It forced the Bills to make a good pick.

Way too early to tell

From the game I saw the other night he looked like a typical rookie NFL QB. He didn't have happy feet or seem to worry about the sack though. Gruden and Jaws seemed to think he was starting to see the field a little better (granted, he threw a pick like 2 plays later)

He's a smart guy, great size and arm.

He was probably a little bit of a reach where Jax took him but as far as judging him with this certainty that he was a bad pick, gimme a break.

I don't have to list the hundreds of Aikman's and Mannings that had weak NFL starts do I?

Listing "hundreds" of rookie QBs with weak starts, when there are very few (there aren't hundreds of Aikmans and Mannings) who make it probably won't make your point very well.

Anyway, there was no shortage of Gabbert backers on this board before the draft (they often were the same sages who said Newton wouldn't be capable of reading NFL defenses.

Edited by Mr. WEO