Thank God We Didn't Draft This Guy

H2o

A league source expressed skepticism to ESPN Florida that Blaine Gabbert has what it takes to make it in the pros.

"The guy sees ghosts in the pocket," said the source. "I'm not sure if you can teach courage." ESPN Florida's Charlie Bernstein believes it's a "real possibility" that the Jaguars might quickly cut their losses with Gabbert and drafted a first-round quarterback for a second straight year. Added Greg Cosell of NFL Films recently, "I will say unequivocally that (Gabbert) will not make it in this league as a starting NFL quarterback."

http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

Sounds eerily similar to a guy who used to wear #5 for the Bills.

Supposedly if Dareus was not available we were going to pick him....

I don't think so. The Bills made it pretty clear that they only viewed 1 Qb worthy of the #3ones overall pick (Cam). In fact I think its pretty safe to assume the Bills had Ponder as their second rated QB. Any talent evaluator who is surprised by Gabberts struggles isn't a very good evaluator imo. The first thing I noticed about Gabberts game was once the rush was coming he couldn't keep his eyes downfield. It's not surprising one team was fooled by his mobility and stronger arm.....but his lack of courage to hang in the pocket and inaccuracy were quite evident all along.

Any betters should keep a careful eye on the Jags lines the rest of this season. It's not often you get to bet against a Qb as weak as Gabbert. Last weeks game vs. The Chargers who were only -160 may have been the bet of the year.

Mike Mayock made a complete fool of himself with his Gabbert man love fest before the 2011 draft. At the time, I said it here that I had lost all respect of Mayock after hearing his analysis regarding Newton vs Gabbert. I'm a huge supporter of Ryan Fitzpatrick and I still wanted the Bills to take Cam Newton if he was there.

There was something very suspicious about Gabbert's ascension to the top QB status. He looked very ordinary, his numbers were very ordinary and he came from a gimmicky college offense. His agent had such strong connections to the draft gurus that that it felt as if Mayock and Casserly were part of the hired staff of Gabbert's PR team. It seems as if everyone on TV is bought and sold so my advice is to avoid anything coming from the "big name" draft gurus.

Casserly once said on NFL Network that 9 out of 10 NFL teams prefer Gabbert over Newton. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that! First off, it was clearly not true and if he really believed it to be true then this man should never hold a job as an NFL analyst ever again.

Way too early to tell

From the game I saw the other night he looked like a typical rookie NFL QB. He didn't have happy feet or seem to worry about the sack though. Gruden and Jaws seemed to think he was starting to see the field a little better (granted, he threw a pick like 2 plays later)

He's a smart guy, great size and arm.

He was probably a little bit of a reach where Jax took him but as far as judging him with this certainty that he was a bad pick, gimme a break.

I don't have to list the hundreds of Aikman's and Mannings that had weak NFL starts do I?

I know i probably should be watching college football to analyze the talent that's about to come into the NFL but to be honest i don't... What i DO watch though is the scouting combine on the NFL network and also watch the senior bowl... I judge the rookies based on what i see in those two situations... It's not necessarily speed i look for but it is cool to watch these guys run the 40... I swear on everything i love that when i saw Vincent Jackson in the combine the guy caught everything and i mean everything that was thrown to him and i had him high in the draft as far as wide receivers that year and he got drafted late and turned into a star... I felt like a scout lol but as far as the topic goes about Gabbert and all the other QB's I really hope we stay away from drafting a QB (at least this year) and either only draft defensive players and pick up a free agent offensive lineman or mix it up... Defense is all i look for in this year's draft as far as the Bills are concerned then comes the O-Line and even though i personally am happy with the wide receivers we have after hearing all of you guys talk about how bad we need a number 2 receiver opposite Stevie, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a Vincent Jackson type player on the Bills roster...

I don't think that is fair. I am no Trent apologist, but he showed quite a bit of

toughness, in my opinion. He got hammered many times and kept getting up. He

ended up being shell-shocked I think, but that wasn't because he was skittish to

begin with.

I was a pretty big Gabbert guy before the Draft, but I have to say based on what I've seen from him so far I agree with this assessment 100%...On one particular 3rd Down and 10 the other night I noticed the TE hooking up at the 1st Down marker and he was open...He had a Defender trailing by a yard or two, and another was within a few yards...But it was one of those tight throws to keep the chains moving type of plays all NFL QB's have to make in there sleep...Gabbert barely looked anywhere, turned around and dumped it off to the back, who I think lost yardage...

That Kid looks LOST...He does not have the fire at all... B-)

I thought that Nix basically said after the draft that the Bills would not have taken Von Miller if he had been available. I also recall some noise that the Bills would have been interested in Gabbert if Dareus had been selected before the Bills picked. If both of these items are true, then it confirms our worst suspicions about the competency of our front office. Regarding Gabbert, I thought most of the top picks signed contracts that were fully guaranteed for the full term.

I think the front office lucked out with the Dareus pick in that he was a no-brainer after Newton and Von Miller were off the board.

The Bills/Gabbert connection is not true. The Bills have repeatedly said that if they thought there was a true Franchise QB on the board, they would take him. Meaning, if they liked Gabbert, they would have taken him over Dareus.

The way it played out, it looks like the only QB the Bills had rated that high was Newton (correctly).

That being said, I never liked Gabbert. He was nothing more than a token golden boy that filled the void Luck left when he decided to stay in school. Gabbert was the definition of hype. Pretty sure Buddy saw that too.