Jason Pominville

Simon

Just wanted to comment on what a refreshing change it was to see the Sabres "captain" do something other than run away from contact, commit another turnover, turtle a check, force a teammate offside, make a stupid decision with the puck, lose a 1-on-1 battle or spend 6 straight shifts floating around the perimeter.

Congrats Pommer on racking up another 4 seconds of good hockey tonight; at this pace we're liable to get a good minute and a half out of you this season. :thumbsup:

Just wanted to comment on what a refreshing change it was to see the Sabres "captain" do something other than run away from contact, commit another turnover, turtle a check, force a teammate offside, make a stupid decision with the puck, lose a 1-on-1 battle or spend 6 straight shifts floating around the perimeter.

Congrats Pommer on racking up another 4 seconds of good hockey tonight; at this pace we're liable to get a good minute and a half out of you this season. :thumbsup:

Wow, what? He's been the Sabres' best player. 30 points in 28 games and he's crucial to one of the league's best penalty kills.

When the team can't get consistency and there is a dearth of scoring, Pommers also gets critiqued. For last nights game, good enough against a first place team What Sabres team shows up tonight? Keep the puck on the opposition side of the ice. Panicky defense in the Sabres zone has been hard to watch.

I don't really care about the numbers all that much; I'm just not a math guy. Not to mention that most of those numbers are probably a direct result of him playing next to Vanek and getting so much PP time.

What I do care about is that, aside from scoring a goal about once a week, he brings absolutely zero to this team. And it's not even just that, he actually hurts this team far more than he ever helps it, imo. He's physically and mentally soft to the point of embarassment, he's a human turnover machine, he's never proactive or aggressive, he's dumber than a bag of hammers and because of all that I cannot imagine he brings any kind of leadership whatsoever. The only area where he's even remotely effective is on the PK, and that's not a result of him being smart or tough, it's a result of his natural cowardice resulting in a preternatural ability to get the puck off his stick before anybody can get within ten feet of him.

I guess I'm just annoyed that the Sabres finally seem to have an engaged owner, yet we have to deal with the fact that the guy wearing our C is one of the biggest pussies in the NHL. This team is going nowhere as long as Pominville is its "captain", and I find that terribly depressing.

I don't really care about the numbers all that much; I'm just not a math guy. Not to mention that most of those numbers are probably a direct result of him playing next to Vanek and getting so much PP time.

What I do care about is that, aside from scoring a goal about once a week, he brings absolutely zero to this team. And it's not even just that, he actually hurts this team far more than he ever helps it, imo. He's physically and mentally soft to the point of embarassment, he's a human turnover machine, he's never proactive or aggressive, he's dumber than a bag of hammers and because of all that I cannot imagine he brings any kind of leadership whatsoever. The only area where he's even remotely effective is on the PK, and that's not a result of him being smart or tough, it's a result of his natural cowardice resulting in a preternatural ability to get the puck off his stick before anybody can get within ten feet of him.

I guess I'm just annoyed that the Sabres finally seem to have an engaged owner, yet we have to deal with the fact that the guy wearing our C is one of the biggest pussies in the NHL. This team is going nowhere as long as Pominville is its "captain", and I find that terribly depressing.

hes pierre turgeon without the goal scoring nack

He's been the Sabres' best player.

No, that would be Vanek.

Totally agree

Pomminville is perfectly suited to be captain of this team -- Small, soft, bland, timid, Caspar Milquetoast in a hockey jersey. He is prefectly representative of the team and the timid GM who created this mess by drafting / acquiring wimpy miniatures and/or underperformers like Roy, Pominville, Ennis, Stafford, Leopold, Sekera, Erhoff, Leino, etc.

Sadly, Regier's recent drafts of Kassian, foligno, McNabb, etc are too little , too late.

Pomminville is perfectly suited to be captain of this team -- Small, soft, bland, timid, Caspar Milquetoast in a hockey jersey. He is prefectly representative of the team and the timid GM who created this mess by drafting / acquiring wimpy miniatures and/or underperformers like Roy, Pominville, Ennis, Stafford, Leopold, Sekera, Erhoff, Leino, etc.

Sadly, Regier's recent drafts of Kassian, foligno, McNabb, etc are too little , too late.

I wouldn't put Stafford, Ennis or Roy in the same boat at all. They may not be blessed with great size but they play like they mean it.

Love the avatar!

Well said. Poms is a nice guy but hardly strikes me as a leader. I want a guy who is a force physically and as a scorer to be captain in the mold of Messier or Iginla.

Well said. Poms is a nice guy but hardly strikes me as a leader. I want a guy who is a force physically and as a scorer to be captain in the mold of Messier or Iginla.

Hopefully this is Kassian in the future. As it stands, I think Pominville performs his job quite well. He benefits from Vanek, but the vice versa is true too. He's contributed to 31 goals on the young season. That doesn't just randomly happen w/o playing well.

The 1st line has held up their end of the bargain. If the same could be said for any of the forwards, the team would be well above .500 and I don't think Pominville would be hearing any criticism.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

So in other words you want a first ballot hall of famer? Who doesn't. Good luck finding one though.