Knicks/NBA followers?

Virgil

I'm as casual Knicks fan as they come. I'm a big 'Cuse fan, which is what's brought me back to the NBA with Melo going there. With that, can someone please explain this possible trade or move I keep hearing about.

I know the Knicks want Chris Paul. I get it, amazing PG. But now, there is this rumor of them getting Chandler. However, with the money he'd get paid, they are saying they'd have to cut Billups (who's apparently pissed about this) and then trade Amare for Chris Paul.

In the end, it would go from Billips, Melo, Amare to Melo, Paul, Chandler. Does that seem logical? Isn't Amare like a top 3 at his position, which is an overall tough position to find skill at for his size? Is the drop off from Amare to Chandler worth the gain from Billups to Paul?

I really don't know and would love someone's take on it who really follow's the game

I like billups. I don't see CP3 coming to NY. 'Melo and Amare will gel this year and make the Knicks a real force. I think the real key to the Knicks success will be the emergence of AR11(Andy Rautins)..... :-)

I'm as casual Knicks fan as they come. I'm a big 'Cuse fan, which is what's brought me back to the NBA with Melo going there. With that, can someone please explain this possible trade or move I keep hearing about.

I know the Knicks want Chris Paul. I get it, amazing PG. But now, there is this rumor of them getting Chandler. However, with the money he'd get paid, they are saying they'd have to cut Billups (who's apparently pissed about this) and then trade Amare for Chris Paul.

In the end, it would go from Billips, Melo, Amare to Melo, Paul, Chandler. Does that seem logical? Isn't Amare like a top 3 at his position, which is an overall tough position to find skill at for his size? Is the drop off from Amare to Chandler worth the gain from Billups to Paul?

I really don't know and would love someone's take on it who really follow's the game

While it doesn't look like it is going to happen, here is the rationale:

Billups is in the last year of his deal, and he's lost his quickness and athleticism. He can still shoot, but he's a defensive liability and can no longer penetrate.

Paul is the best pure PG in the NBA, and is a huge upgrade defensively. His skill at getting the ball in the scorer's hands would be huge for the Knicks.

A'mare is a much better offensive player than Chandler, without question. But what the Knicks have been lacking is a defensive force in the middle. Chandler has the combination of rebounding/defense that could really help, and is a big upgrade over A'mare in those facets of the game.

I think it would be largely beneficial to make those moves. The best way to build a team in the current NBA IMO is with a great distributor(Paul), wing scorer(Melo) and a dominant defensive presence inside(Chandler).

It's part of the reason the Heat had such problems last year, even with having arguably the 2 best players in the NBA. Wade and LeBron's skills are largely redundant. They both need to have the ball in their hands. They got by on pure talent, but a better constructed team will beat them.

I love bball--esp college bball and 80s NBA ball-- but the NBA now is the worst sport out there. Bunch of lazy players I've never heard of playing on teams I've never heard of just going up and down the court hitting wide open jump shots.

You are about as wrong as you could possibly be. Last year's season was one of the best I have ever seen. The NBA is in the best shape it hase been in a decade. A ton of likable young stars who rarely ever get in trouble (another closeminded knock against the league). The NBA has really benefited from the guys having to wait until they are 20 to go pro.

And the NBA pre and post game studio show on TNT with Barkley, Ernie Johnson, and now Shaq may be one of the funniest shows on TV.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Right JR, just like the NHL is just a bunch of small unathletic Canadians whacking a puck around. Seems like you have a very evolved understanding of basketball...

There are numerous critics of NBA style ball, not just me. I'm not entirely sure anyone missed the NBA during this lock-out.

Here are my problems with the NBA:

1) 24-second shot clock. Unlike college, in halfcourt sets, these players don't have time to really work the ball around and get great looks. In 24 seconds, you get down the court, maybe make a pass, run a pick and roll, and shoot. It's a one-on-one type game.

2) The movement of teams and expansion into weird markets. New Orleans, Charlotte, Memphis, OKC, no more Sonics...it's tough to keep track of the middling franchises.

3) The influx within the last decade of high school players, foreign players, and one-and-done college players. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but as a college bball fan, I'd have more interest in seeing the guys I liked in college than seeing guys I've never heard of.

4) The length of the season.

I've tried to get back into the NBA, but I can't. The game isn't anywhere near as enjoyable as the college game.

If Paul's knee is OK, then going from Billups, Melo, Amare to Paul, Melo, Chandler is a huge upgrade, in my opinion. Paul is one of the best pure PGs ever and makes everyone around him better. Amare is pure offense, no defense, while Chandler is mostly defense but certainly won't hurt you on the other side of the floor (I don't even think that you can say for sure that Amare > Chandler. The Mavs certainly don't win a championship last year without him. Everyone on that team agrees that he completely changed the culture there.). And Billups' best days are behind him, to put it kindly.

Although I have no idea why NO would prefer Amare to the package they were offered from LA and Houston. The NBA's killing of that deal was a massive embarrassment.

Edited by janicks