VCR Alert: Flyers @SABRES

Buftex

This game is in Buffalo...watch at your own peril...unless you are AJ...then go to hell you filthy Flyers fan! :devil:

Well...just in case you guys are wondering how to pronounce "Giroux"....it sounds like "hero"

:nana:

Well...just in case you guys are wondering how to pronounce "Giroux"....it sounds like "hero"

:nana:

:censored:

Damn Flyers...I think I am not watching any more Sabres home games, until they win two in a row at home...typical of them last night...every home game they play one great period, and then just couldn't do anything the rest of the way...what, did the Sabres have like 10 shots on goal the final two periods? At least the Bills can only disappoint me once a week.

Oh well. I am, for the first time, starting to really have doubts about the Sabres future, unless they make some sort of trade. I look at the Flyers, and I see a team that was supposed to be down this year, after a ton of salary cap dumps, and they looked worlds better than the Sabres, for most of the game, last night. They never seem to have problems scoring goals...to think, just 4 or 5 years ago, they were the laughing stock of the NHL, then, they canned dinosauer Bobby Clarke, and have since, gone through a couple of transformations into being a very good team, even making the finals...

I listened to the VS announcers last night, and the "sideline reporter" said that Lindy was going at it with Vanek for a good part of the game...still? After all these years, Lindy is telling Vanek "hey, you look at me when I am talking to you, don't look at the ice"...still this is going on? I am starting to feel less inclined to blame Vanek..he is producing...and, to me, has played pretty well defensively. I know it is cliche, but are players just not lisrtenting to Ruff any more? I have always been a big Ruff supporter, but the malaise that this team has played with, this year particularly, is kind of disturbing. Way too many defensive lapses, and it isn't just the kids making them.

Edited by Buftex

I hate to say it too, but it's sure starting to seem like a coaching change is needed. :cry::bag:

Yeah, like I said, I have always thought Ruff was a terrific coach, but man, if you have your (arguably) best player (Vanek) not buying what you are selling, after 5 years, you really have to wonder about some of the other guys too. Vanek should be helping the coach sell it.

I think there are some very talented players on this team. This isn't like the Bills, where depth is always a problem. It sometimes feels like Ruff tries to play it both ways, defensively, and I think they pay for it, with turnovers.

In 2005-06, after the lockout, when the leauge was playing the "new wide-open" style, the Sabres kicked ass,offensively. If I recall they had 6 guys with 20+ or more goals that year. I think 3 guys with 30 or more. A big part of their success was gambling defensemen who could carry the puck into the offensive end. They gave breakaways, and shorthanded one on one chances that year (though, Miller was unbelievable in those situations back then), but most of that was the result of a offensively hyper-agressive core of defensemen. They created so many scoring opportunities.

Now, partly because of talent, injuries, and partly becuase the NHL has returned to it's mostly smothering style, that just isn't happening, but the Sabres seem to want to keep tyring it. Conversely, they dont' want to take too many chances defensively. They just turn the puck over far too much. This has been going on for a few years now...I think Ehrhoff and Regher were great pick-ups, we should be better defensively.