Mythbusters

Wacka

I heard this on the news yesterday. Very lucky no one was hurt. Having said that the story is right out of a Warner Bros. cartoon.

It does seem like the kind of thing you would investigate only to find some open crates from Acme and perhaps a pair of rocket skates lying around.....

Wow very lucky nobody was hurt. I'm sure the lawyers will be busy today.

I bet you they are too! I'm not a litigious person, but if that were my house and they put my family at risk because of a tv show, I'd be suing the BEJEEZUS out of them.

I think this one comment from the original link sums up what I'm thinking....

Here’s the thing, a bomb range does not translate as an artillery range. While both involve explosives, an artillery piece is designed to send an explosive far down range. Whereas a bomb range the projectile does not travel anywhere unless you are donating a fragmentation device then you need to determine the maximum fragmentation radius. Artillery needs at the very least twice the distance of its maximum range and if you are using shrapnel rounds you need to calculate the bursting radius if the fragments. Sounds to me like the “Mythbusters” need to hire a Gun Bunny because doing stunts do not translate into artillery.

Why didn't they use the airport? Seems like that would have more distance for mistakes like this.

The base has been here since WWII. It was during that time, the Seabees Pacific HQ and had a large Naval Hospital. The County Jail and a Sherif's Department shooting range are next door to the bomb range.The area around it was empty until about 10 years ago. The town (Dublin) doubled in size during the last 10 years - 23 to 46 K. I think those houses were built around 2004 or so. These were on the east side of the base. I live on the west side, but there are 100 foot hills between us and the base. Right after 9/11, I could hear almost nonstop gunfire there as all the reservists in the area were honing their infantry skills. Like I said, this is only a couple miles from me.

I think this one comment from the original link sums up what I'm thinking....

Here’s the thing, a bomb range does not translate as an artillery range. While both involve explosives, an artillery piece is designed to send an explosive far down range. Whereas a bomb range the projectile does not travel anywhere unless you are donating a fragmentation device then you need to determine the maximum fragmentation radius. Artillery needs at the very least twice the distance of its maximum range and if you are using shrapnel rounds you need to calculate the bursting radius if the fragments. Sounds to me like the “Mythbusters” need to hire a Gun Bunny because doing stunts do not translate into artillery.

Why didn't they use the airport? Seems like that would have more distance for mistakes like this.

The airport's not quite remote enough...and I have a suspicion that at some point some official in the SF region said "Wait a minute...you can't just set off explosives in the city limits whenever you want." So they moved to the Alameda County bomb range.

The really curious thing to me is that between the Mythbusters hosts, crew, producers (including safety officers, which they do have), and insurance agents (which have put the kibosh on myths before), not only did none of them say "Ummmm...is the bomb range suitable for cannon tests?", but the guys running the bomb range didn't even question it? I've got to imagine that someone's going to have their ass seriously chewed for confusing their bomb range with a firing range. :oops:

So what myth were they trying to bust with this exactly? That the mythbuster people are not idiots??

I heard that they were seeing if other things could be as effective as cannonballs and these cannon firings were for setting the baseline speeds and force of a real cannonball. The local TV said it glanced off the berm , then up in the air, bounced in front of the house shown, through the front door, up the stairs, out the back wall, bounced on a 4 lane road, skimmed the tile roof of a house and landed in someone's SUV destroying the dashboard.

The airport's not quite remote enough...and I have a suspicion that at some point some official in the SF region said "Wait a minute...you can't just set off explosives in the city limits whenever you want." So they moved to the Alameda County bomb range.

The really curious thing to me is that between the Mythbusters hosts, crew, producers (including safety officers, which they do have), and insurance agents (which have put the kibosh on myths before), not only did none of them say "Ummmm...is the bomb range suitable for cannon tests?", but the guys running the bomb range didn't even question it? I've got to imagine that someone's going to have their ass seriously chewed for confusing their bomb range with a firing range. :oops:

The Alameda Sheriff's PR spokesman is the liasion (sp?) with Mythbusters. He is at all their "experiments" okaying them.