12/7/1941

JÂy RÛßeÒ

I should just post this every year"

Of the eight battleships at Pearl:

USS Arizona: sunk, still there, obviously.

USS Oklahoma: capsized, recovered (in an impressive year-long effort; I've seen pictures, it was a phenomenal engineering effort righting the hull), but written off as a wreck.

USS Nevada: rebuilt, served in the North Atlantic protecting troop convoys, provided support for D-Day and Iwo Jima.

USS Pennsylvania

USS Tennessee

USS West Virginia

USS California

USS Maryland

All five were rebuilt, fought their way across the Central Pacific in '44, through the Marshall, Caroline, and Marinias archipeligos, to the Phillipines. On the morning of Oct. 25, 1944, these five battleships (and the USS Mississippi), as the battle line of the 7th Fleet, fought the last surface big-gun action ever, when they completely destroyed Admiral Nishimura's Southern Strike Force at the Battle of Surigao Strait.

:cry:

Every American should try to make it to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial.

I was there in '86. I remember it like it was yesterday, and it was one of the most surreal, emotional, and memorable experiences of my life. To be able to make out the ship in the water, knowing that you're standing above the actual ship that was attacked and serves as the final resting place for those on board, really affects you. I don't care if someone served in the military as a cook, I am appreciative of their service and I go out of my way to thank them whenever I can, knowing that my thanks will never even put a dent into the debt that I owe them for my freedom. My experience at the Arizona was one of the main reasons why I feel this way. Like many of you guys, I also have a family full of vets, from WWI up through Vietnam. When someone enters military service, they have no idea what they will be called upon to do during their enlistment. For anyone to take on that responsibility, I am truly thankful.