Coldest cities in America

Fezmid

People here think the weather in Buffalo is the same... I keep telling them that it's MUCH warmer in WNY! On the flipside, there's a ton more snow.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2010/12/10/america-s-25-coldest-cities.html

People who have never lived in WNY all assume it is bitter cold in the winter. They fail to understand that the lakes that bring the snow also moderate the temperature.

People who have never lived in WNY all assume it is bitter cold in the winter. They fail to understand that the lakes that bring the snow also moderate the temperature.

I don't know man. Bufalo is still friggin' cold in the winter no matter how you try to rationalize it.

I don't know man. Bufalo is still friggin' cold in the winter no matter how you try to rationalize it.

I grew up in WNY and moved to Minnesota. It's nowhere NEAR as cold in WNY than it is here. My 2nd year here, we had windchills of -70F and the temps were like -25F. The wires on your headphones freeze immediately when you walk out in it. Your nasal passages crystalize with the first breath. It's really weird. :)

I grew up in WNY and moved to Minnesota. It's nowhere NEAR as cold in WNY than it is here. My 2nd year here, we had windchills of -70F and the temps were like -25F. The wires on your headphones freeze immediately when you walk out in it. Your nasal passages crystalize with the first breath. It's really weird. :)

Toledo is colder then Buffalo.

I remember it being too cold in January to snow. -10's and -20's. The wind across the flat plains and living out in the western suburbs just hundreds of yards from wide open fields for miles. Snot frozen to your facial hair, taking 5 minutes to bundle up to walk 2 minutes to your next class.

Toledo is colder then Buffalo.

I remember it being too cold in January to snow. -10's and -20's. The wind across the flat plains and living out in the western suburbs just hundreds of yards from wide open fields for miles. Snot frozen to your facial hair, taking 5 minutes to bundle up to walk 2 minutes to your next class.

Yup, that's Minneapolis too. Took me awhile to wrap my head around the "too cold to snow" but it's definitely true. It's crazy looking outside seeing bright sun, blue skies... All because it's too cold for clouds. :oops:

Just because Minnesota is colder than Buffalo does not mean it's not cold as **** in Buffalo.

Yup, that's Minneapolis too. Took me awhile to wrap my head around the "too cold to snow" but it's definitely true. It's crazy looking outside seeing bright sun, blue skies... All because it's too cold for clouds. :oops:

No,No,No. You grew up in WNY and buy that? Opposite-its cold because there are no clouds. The clouds insulate the surface and prevent heat escape. No clouds, cold day.

It's the wind. Wind kills.

PTR

No doubt about the wind, but the humidity is also a big part of feeling cold.

I was born & raised in BUF, lived in N VA., Seattle, Chicago, Houston and now in SE Virginia. When it gets cold in SE VA., it's almost always humid too, and that can feel worse than my best memories of BUF. I'm also 50 years older now, so I guess that factors into how I feel the cold now. I could move again to change my location but I can't do much about getting older! :angry: