Debate - The BCS National Championship Game

Virgil

Ahh my bad, got my years mixed up, I thought that was the year they lost to Ole Miss.

I still think what it comes down to though is that like a college basketball fan complaining about seeding, you'll adjust your criteria depending on who is being discussed: how far you go in your conf. tournament, bad losses, good wins, last 10 games, home/road is all stuff that NCAAB fans weigh differently for different teams depending on what's convenient for what they want to argue. Now bad losses are less important than winning your conference when your primary point previously seemed to be OK St having a worse loss...they did win their conference.

Yeah, I went back and edited my post and added the part about winning their Conference. Like I said, even as an SEC homer, I do understand OK St's argument to be there, and I'd say it's very close.

But unfortunately in this system, and when it IS that close, you cant drop a game to a team like Iowa St and expect to be in the Championship.

I personally would love to see how LSU's D matches up against OK St's Offense. But at the end of the day, after watching both teams play a bunch this year, I also believe Alabama is the better team. SEC Homerism aside.

I have to say, this is as fun and good a debate that I've seen in a while. Thank all of your for your mature responses. I was nervous to see a bunch of "Because Bama would beat Ditka" responses. With that, some more things from what you've all said.

I do believe 100% that the best two teams are playing in the BCS. If I didn't make that clear in my OP, then I apologize. Alabama is, without question to me, the #2 team. Also, I have no love or hate for any conference. I have nothing against the SEC. I was a Big East guy cause I like 'Cuse, but that conference is pretty much dead. And I admit that I'm not a fan of being in the ACC, but fortunately, that isn't relevant at all this year...thanks VaTech.

In any case, I believe that if you are able to forget what happened in the regular season, then we are looking at the best overall BCS matchups in years. I'm not hating on that.

What I can't let go, is what does the BCS prove this year? Yes, it's the best two teams, but regardless of the winner, you will have two big arguments afterwards. If LSU wins, then it's "yeah, we knew that. They already proved that point. What a waste." If Bama wins, it's "well, they split the series and this isn't meant to be like a playoff. There should be a 3rd game."

Yes, I agree with the guy who said that it seems weird to not want the best two teams to play again. It is weird. I just think it's almost unfair to LSU to make them prove they can beat a great team again, when they've already done it.

I guess what sums it up for me, is that even if Bama wins, are they really the number #1 team? In theory, they both will have lost to the top teams in the county and split the series? What are you gonna say, Bama won more recently? We are talking 2 months apart? I think this is my ultimate issue with this. Bama is number #2 yes, but they locked themselves there when they were unable to beat #1.

What I can't let go, is what does the BCS prove this year? Yes, it's the best two teams, but regardless of the winner, you will have two big arguments afterwards. If LSU wins, then it's "yeah, we knew that. They already proved that point. What a waste." If Bama wins, it's "well, they split the series and this isn't meant to be like a playoff. There should be a 3rd game."

Yes, I agree with the guy who said that it seems weird to not want the best two teams to play again. It is weird. I just think it's almost unfair to LSU to make them prove they can beat a great team again, when they've already done it.

I guess what sums it up for me, is that even if Bama wins, are they really the number #1 team? In theory, they both will have lost to the top teams in the county and split the series? What are you gonna say, Bama won more recently? We are talking 2 months apart? I think this is my ultimate issue with this. Bama is number #2 yes, but they locked themselves there when they were unable to beat #1.

I agree that the BCS has put themselves into a possibly tough position if LSU loses. But it would be in that position no matter who LSU plays.

Best case scenario is that LSU wins like they should. And then they are the CLEAR Champ. They went undefeated, won their conference, AND beat the #2 team twice. At that point, it doesnt matter what kind of season OK St or Stanford had.

But if LSU loses, what a mess. I dont even know what theyd do, or what would be "fair". I might lean towards giving it to LSU just because they played and won the extra game in the SEC Championship. But thats still stretching for a reason.

God, I hope they just win like they should....

IMO, LSU and Bama are the 2 best teams in the country. But what if Alabama wins? They are national champs because of the timing of their victory? IT's stupid.

The argument is so old. Every other college sport, including every other level of football, can organize a playoff system. Why can't D 1? Ar you telling me that the University of Alabama's academic standards are too tough for players to miss school? :w00t: The NCAA is a joke.

~They are STUDENT athletes and they don't want a longer season

~The regular season games are meant to be taken seriously and as a deciding factor

~Teams with equal records are usually ranked by the rank of the team they loss to and their strength of schedule.

I don't buy that for one second.

The FCS (Division I-AA), Division II & Division III all have playoff systems.

I've never heard an outcry from the student athletes from those college's about having to play a longer season.

Edited by Mark Vader

I don't buy that for one second.

The FCS (Division I-AA), Division II & Division III all have playoff systems.

I've never heard an outcry from the student athletes from those college's about having to play a longer season.

not saying i believe the following to be extreme enough to warrant the system staying but id guess the following would be voiced in return:

the distractions around a BCS playoff team and a DIII playoff would be totally different for the players involved

Oh, I think the players want it.

I was saying that, from my understand, that's why the ncaa is against it.

If you know of another reason that's been said, please correct me. I'm not pretending to be an expert