I've been so patient, but...

phypon

I think some of these posts are a bit charitable.

Starting to rebuild? We should have started to rebuild as soon as Buddy became GM. It is taking way too long, and we may continue to lose some decent players this offseason (Stevie Johnson), which means once again we will be patching holes rather than upgrading.

It has only been one year? Buddy has had two years, and in the second year, the Bills have lost five in a row. Not a good sign for near term success.

Need more players for the 3-4 and more time to get them? Houston switched to the 3-4 this offseason and now has one of the best defenses in the NFL (even after losing Williams for the season).

I am unhappy with the current state of the Bills and I do not think that Nix is doing a good job.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All true Doc, but the lack of depth can only be addressed in FA, and we have avowed a strategy of "rebuilding through the draft" (see my post above about keeping the team minimally competetive at the lowest cost). Without depth, we're going to see the cycle occur every year, fast start by young talent and then hit a wall when the first string starts getting hurt.

Stop making so much sense...you'll cause spontaneous combustion amongst the Bill-ievers.

Disagree, depth is built through the draft. Your late round picks. FA is used best once you have built a good foundation via the draft, you then go out and sign quality FAs to complete the puzzle and make a run.

I'll grant you a GOOD draft can add depth, but we have so many misses I don't see how we can do it without major FA acquisisitions. This year's draft was better than most, but we need to do better if we are going to continue to go way under the cap in FA.

Disagree, depth is built through the draft. Your late round picks. FA is used best once you have built a good foundation via the draft, you then go out and sign quality FAs to complete the puzzle and make a run.

Buddy's draft record isn't good enough to overcome a team thrifty in free agency and which doesn't sign all their UFA's. It's the reason they've been on a treadmill for more than a decade. Different GM's all get the same result in Buffalo.

If you are in favor of "blowing it all up" every 2 years, the team will NEVER make the playoffs again.

How about giving them a little longer than 23 months?

Wrong again....this team gets worse by the week and that is a sign of a badly coached team. No progress equals no winning for yet another year. I would have no problem swapping players with ANY other team in the league today.

How do you expect that to happen when we suck at drafting and don't sign quality free agents?

Start paying attention...

Spiller looked pretty good today. Carrington plays well and made a few plays today. Id like to see more out of that draft class, but we also added Nelson and Roosevelt out of it.

This year's draft class saw 6 rookies starting/playing today, and all played fairly well. They have room to improve, but again, they are rookies. Hairston, Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, and Rogers all look like they can develop to be good/great players.

We also went out and signed Nick Barnett who has contributed greatly. We also brought in Drayton Florence last year. Not "sexy" Free Agents, but good signings for a rebuilding team.

Give Nix and Whaley some time.

I think you have to give chan and Nix at least three years, which is probably the minimum amount of time that one can rebuild a team from the nothing that they took over. If you keep changing regimes every two years demanding instant gratification, then each iteration of coaching staffs will "blow it up" to build a team using their particular vision of what a team should be, but then not have enough time to complete the process, only to have the instant gratification crowd demanding their heads. And the process will repeat.

After next year, if the team doesn't look competitive going forward, then I will be happy to jump on the get rid of NixGailey bandwagon.

Buddy's draft record isn't good enough to overcome a team thrifty in free agency and which doesn't sign all their UFA's. It's the reason they've been on a treadmill for more than a decade. Different GM's all get the same result in Buffalo.

Yup, and don't forget to add, anytime a player starts getting very good, we trade him away for a draft pick rather than write a new contract that will eat into the salary cap.

Not meaning to be a doomsayer, we are better off now than under TD and DJ, but blowing up the team isn't going to solve our problems.

I'll grant you a GOOD draft can add depth, but we have so many misses I don't see how we can do it without major FA acquisisitions. This year's draft was better than most, but we need to do better if we are going to continue to go way under the cap in FA.

What team has built their franchise into a perennial winner with "major FA acquisitions"?

I agree that Id like to see the Bills do more in FA than they have in the past. But then you always run the risk of over-paying for mid-level talent. Especially to get guys to come to Buffalo.

Build your team over a few drafts (yes, they have to be good drafts, like 2011's), and then go get your big names to complete the puzzle.

I like chan, I really do. But, I'm not seeing good enough results. If he retains Edwards after this season, I will be very disappointed. Since the drought has been so long, I'm all for blowing it up again. No need to be in a hurry now after all of this time has passed by. Once the pieces finally fit it will be obvious we have a winner. I don't see that happening right now.

And hey, after a blow up, optimism abounds!

only if they blow up the front office. i'd like to see a mushroom cloud over that !@#$ing thing.

Wrong again....this team gets worse by the week and that is a sign of a badly coached team. No progress equals no winning for yet another year. I would have no problem swapping players with ANY other team in the league today.

This is a function of the numerous injuries and lack of depth. Our starters looked quite good the first 7 weeks, but clearly they didn't have the number of quality players to overcome the inevitable injuries. I don't think it is right to put that on Gailey, but I do understand frustration with Nix in not filling up an obviously shallow team.

But again, this necessarily takes time.

Yup, and don't forget to add, anytime a player starts getting very good, we trade him away for a draft pick rather than write a new contract that will eat into the salary cap.

Not meaning to be a doomsayer, we are better off now than under TD and DJ, but blowing up the team isn't going to solve our problems.

Yet at the VERY SAME TIME, there is discussion on this board that the Bills are stupid because they re-signed Fitz instead of waiting until his contract was up.

We also extended Kyle Williams this year. And are working on extensions for Stevie, Fred, Levitre, and Wood.

But since we traded an aging one-trick WR for market value, the FO is stupid. :rolleyes:

only if they blow up the front office. i'd like to see a mushroom cloud over that !@#$ing thing.

wow, just when I thought this thread couldnt get any more uninformed....

Are you still trying to run Modrak and Guy out of town? Or do you seriously want to get rid of Whaley and Nix?

What team has built their franchise into a perennial winner with "major FA acquisitions"?

I agree that Id like to see the Bills do more in FA than they have in the past. But then you always run the risk of over-paying for mid-level talent. Especially to get guys to come to Buffalo.

Build your team over a few drafts (yes, they have to be good drafts, like 2011's), and then go get your big names to complete the puzzle.

I think we mostly agree: blowing it up is counterproductive, we need to have some strong drafts, we need to do more in FA. I'm just not that confident we can pull off the last two under current ownership.

I think we mostly agree: blowing it up is counterproductive, we need to have some strong drafts, we need to do more in FA. I'm just not that confident we can pull off the last two under current ownership.

In Buddy/Whaley I trust. I dont think Ralph has the input that he had even a couple years ago. We'll see. I've been wrong before. :thumbsup:

In Buddy/Whaley I trust. I dont think Ralph has the input that he had even a couple years ago. We'll see. I've been wrong before. :thumbsup:

I hope you're right Doc, but time is running out . . . next year is Buddy's third year, if things go badly next year Ralph will fire him and Chan to appease the fans and we will start this whole cycle again.

I hope you're right Doc, but time is running out . . . next year is Buddy's third year, if things go badly next year Ralph will fire him and Chan to appease the fans and we will start this whole cycle again.

I hope not. Ralph hasnt cared about the fans so far, why would he start?

When Butler/Smith/Nix went to San Diego, it took them 4 years of drafting in the top 10 (2 years they had the #1 Overall), until they were really stable. Since then, they have been a high talent team and have just been missing the coaching. But they have been regulars in the playoffs.

I want to see improvement next year, for sure. But I dont know if Ralph blows it up. I guess if they were REAL bad, like back to 4-12. But again, San Diego had the #1 overall after their 3rd year of the rebuild...

We have to patient...rebuilding takes 8-10. It takes about 10 years to rebuild a team you know. Look at San Francisco last year. 10 years.

Nix and Chan have been in Charge for two years. Trust me I'm just as frustrated and want a winner now but that is just not going to happen over night. If Chanix had been here for ten years I'd be more than ready for change but if we want to win they need a good five years just like in the old days. Nix is a good GM and will get the players we need, we just need a real DC and we'll be all set.