German town to be evacuated while 4,000 lb

Beerball

Wouldn't be there if the Germans hadn't started the war :flirt:

Duh, WWII didn't start until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor :rolleyes:

Sorry, but as a German American, I would hope it would be clarified that Nazis, not Germans, were the perpetrators of WWII.

As a German-American, I could care less

As a British-American, I still could care less

Up early or all night? Difference is the lynchings where the acts of individuals not a planed policy by the government. I am not claiming the average German approved of or even knew of the death camps. If they did know they would be powerless to to stop it. Really this was not about treatment of Jews anyway, it was more about the militarist lets take back whats ours and then some more policy the Germans KNEW the Nazis would implement.

Hitler implemented gun registration, and then --- surprise, surprise --- the Nazis took away everyone's guns so no one could fight back. Gun-grabbing liberals never seem to make the connection that registration and confiscation here in the U.S. could then produce similar results of a military/political state where the people have no means of overthrowing tyranny. Laws like that just have a tendency to snowball --- it never ends with one step because the extremes drive them toward more and bigger steps. Because as much as I love it, the Constitution is a piece of paper outlining fairly broad notions of government based on what had worked or failed in other states; its only strength lies in the conception that the ideas written down will be carried out by human actions.

And yes, as I understand it, the Treaty of Versailles virtually guaranteed German resentment. The Nazis could have offered almost anything along with the naked military build-up and the prospect of retribution for WWI and the Germans would have lapped it with spoons. And they did. It's not like the Jewish-hate magically started at Kristallnacht. They were an easy lightning rod/diversion.

Sorry, but as a German American, I would hope it would be clarified that Nazis, not Germans, were the perpetrators of WWII.

Just like in this country, it's not appropriate to say "Americans" ruined it...it's more politically correct to say the "Democrats" ruined it.

As an old High School teacher of mine used to say: "Tacit tolerance begets guilt!" That applies to WWII as well as today's political/economic mess.

Not to insult your or anyone else's heritage but likely none of us on this Board were even born when WWII happened, and we certainly didn't witness any of the events that led up to WWII. We know what we read and what has been passed down by family members but even with all that often don't see or hear the whole story.

I understand your point. But "separate but equal" is a long ways from a death camp fed by cattle cars.

Which is why "death camp fed by cattle cars" was in Poland and farther east, not Germany.

Not entirely unreasonable to expect a Hamburger or Bavarian to not know what's going on in Byelorussia. And when genocidal campaigns (e.g. Aktion T4) became publicly known by the German public, the outcry was severe enough that they had to be abandon.

Which is why "death camp fed by cattle cars" was in Poland and farther east, not Germany.

Not entirely unreasonable to expect a Hamburger or Bavarian to not know what's going on in Byelorussia. And when genocidal campaigns (e.g. Aktion T4) became publicly known by the German public, the outcry was severe enough that they had to be abandon.

So you are telling me that no one knew something was up when entire Jewish families started to be rounded up by the anti-Semitic government and disappearing? These were old villages, and most of the families in them date back centuries. No one asked what was happening? Towns right outside the camps couldn't smell them? They didn't ask where all of the trains and trucks were going?

You can make the argument that they weren't aware of the EXTENT of the camps and the extermination campaigns, but the German people knew what was going on.

So you are telling me that no one knew something was up when entire Jewish families started to be rounded up by the anti-Semitic government and disappearing? These were old villages, and most of the families in them date back centuries. No one asked what was happening? Towns right outside the camps couldn't smell them? They didn't ask where all of the trains and trucks were going?

You can make the argument that they weren't aware of the EXTENT of the camps and the extermination campaigns, but the German people knew what was going on.

Generally the camps in Germany were either small, or remotely located, or both. And not extermination camps.

And generally Germany was "Jew free" by the time the extermination campaign kicked off...in other words, Germany's Jewish population disappeared gradually over a course of eight years, and largely due not to extermination but "resettlement" (which at the time was not a euphemism for execution.) So it's not like the German people saw their own neighbors herded into trains and carted off to the Ruhr for mass extermination...they saw the three Jewish families in their neighborhood move out over a span of a few years, presumably emigrated or relocated to all-Jewish communities that the Nazi government claimed to be setting up. By the time 1942 rolled around, there weren't enough Jews left in Germany for the German population to even notice any extermination.

The "crowding into rail cars" and gassing people was a feature of Eastern Europe and the Balkans...Poland, Byelorussia, the Ukraine, the Baltic states. Far removed from the German population. Why would the average German hausfrau know anything about the extermination of the Hungarian Jewish population in 9 months in '44-'45 (which did happen as you describe)?

Hitler implemented gun registration, and then --- surprise, surprise --- the Nazis took away everyone's guns so no one could fight back. Gun-grabbing liberals never seem to make the connection that registration and confiscation here in the U.S. could then produce similar results of a military/political state where the people have no means of overthrowing tyranny. Laws like that just have a tendency to snowball --- it never ends with one step because the extremes drive them toward more and bigger steps. Because as much as I love it, the Constitution is a piece of paper outlining fairly broad notions of government based on what had worked or failed in other states; its only strength lies in the conception that the ideas written down will be carried out by human actions.

And yes, as I understand it, the Treaty of Versailles virtually guaranteed German resentment. The Nazis could have offered almost anything along with the naked military build-up and the prospect of retribution for WWI and the Germans would have lapped it with spoons. And they did. It's not like the Jewish-hate magically started at Kristallnacht. They were an easy lightning rod/diversion.

Heller vs DC put some steel in the 2nd :thumbsup:

Sure. I aways like your posts.

Feeling is mutual, brother...It's nice that you're so far west that you're often online late. Im almost always up late and it can get pretty quiet around here :D