Anyone Want to buy a Piece of Schitt?

ajzepp

The first time I saw this I honestly thought it was a joke, but it's fully legit. In fact, if you really think about it, it's genius :D

For anyone who might be into either home audio or headphone audio, you may want to take a look at some of these offerings...but even if you aren't interested in audio, surely you can appreciate the marketing strategy :D

Ain't this some Schitt??

PS. For anyone interested, there are several threads over at www.audiocircle.com and also www.head-fi.org that go into detail about these products and have feedback from new owners.

Edited by ajzepp

Read about that piece of schitt damaging headphones.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. This is why forums are the best thing to ever happen to the audio hobby, IMO. Hopefully Schitt will step up to teh plate and make sure everything is kosher with their gear (looks like this was from earlier in the year, so will be interesting to see what the outcome was). I have had a few email discussions with one of the founders and they seem like pretty good guys.

That's bogus that dude was banned, though. Head-fi loses a lot of credibility with me if all that he says is true. Dissenting opinions are more than fine as long as things are done rsepectfully, and I don't get the impression that guy was trying to hack on the company maliciously, he was just looking into an issue that was of concern.

Good times!

NWAVGUY knows his stuff and he has the equipment/test gear and knowledge to back it up.

The only headphone amp I own is a Little Dot MKIII vacuum tube amplifier/pre-amp. Had it for a few years now (still on the original tubes).

I was just looking at the Little Dot line yesterday...I hate their website, but their products seem very highly regarded.

I'm trying to put together a bedroom system, and I want to find something like the DacMini, except less expensive and (preferably) with tubes. The DacMini is one of the coolest products I've ever seen, and I haven't ruled it out, but goign to keep looking around a bit. I have a pair of monitors on order for the bedroom, but I'm also wanting to get more into headphones so I need a headphone amp section on whatever I buy. If you have any suggestions, please share! :D Right now I'm leaning toward picking up a Peachtree Nova or Decco2, but my speakers won't be ready until the end of January so I have some time yet to figure it out.

I really like the AKG K271 MKII and the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. The AKG's are low sensitivity and the Beyerdynamics are high impedance so keep that in mind when looking at an amp.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-880---600-ohm.php

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-271-mk-ii.php

NWAVGUY's blog would be a good start to read through on what to look for in a DAC and headphone amp. He has reviewed quite a few.

The Little Dot website is unconventional. I purchased the MKIII from David Zhezhe on Ebay (you can also do it through email) who is the authorized seller of Little Dot. Excellent service, and shipping was quick from China. I would buy from them again.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I really like the AKG K271 MKII and the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. The AKG's are low sensitivity and the Beyerdynamics are high impedance so keep that in mind when looking at an amp.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-880---600-ohm.php

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-271-mk-ii.php

NWAVGUY's blog would be a good start to read through on what to look for in a DAC and headphone amp. He has reviewed quite a few.

The Little Dot website is unconventional. I purchased the MKIII from David Zhezhe on Ebay (you can also do it through email) who is the authorized seller of Little Dot. Excellent service, and shipping was quick from China. I would buy from them again.

I'm glad to hear you say that about the 880s, cause those are the ones the Schitt guys recommended to me, too LOL. I actually had a brief email correspondence with BD, beacuse they make a product called "Headzone" which is very cool. It's a headphone amp that also supports 5.1 DD/DTS tracks, and the headphones they market with that are the 880s. Doesn't quite do all I need it to do, but I'm partial to either American or German companies.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that, like you, I'll end up buying a product that is manufactured in China. All things being equal, I will chose USA or German made first, but it seems that lately there is a LOT of very high quality, high value audio gear that is designed elsewhere, but built in China. There is even a guy on Audiogon from China who basically buys ICE amp modules from Denmark and builds his own amps from his house...the product looked great and there is a long thread on him over at AudioCircle (I forget the name of the company). It's really an interesting time to be in this hobby, and some of the gear coming from Asia is seemingly very good.

Do you have any experience with Grant Fidelity? It's Canadian designed, Chinese built audio products. They have a DAC (model number is "11", IIRC) that is sort of like the swiss army knife of DACs. I'm seriously considering adding an outboard tube amp to it to power my speakers, cause it does just about everything else I need and has (supposedly) a class A headphone amp built in.

I don't have experience or knowledge about Grant Fidelity or their products. I don't have any knowledge on Shcitt really either, only what I have read about that one issue. They may well indeed be great products. The Beyers are excellent cans.

Yes, like it or not if you are are buying AV equipment ASIA is involved somehow in the process with parts, manufacturing, assembly etc.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever