Affirmative Action

RkFast

Lol. So, you saying that minorities go to college to study Jay-Z doesn't imply racism? Or the OWS jab? Tip-toe around it all you want but you know what you're saying.

I know you were reeeaaaalllllyyyy careful with your words but you can see through them.

Wait...it's racist to be against OWS now? When did "unwashed unemployed hipster" become a race?

You don't think that profoundly unequal educational opportunities just over ONE GENERATION AGO doesn't have a disparate impact NOW?

It does.

No ****. And what kind of impact does that have on that generation's kids?

The answer is economic impact.

Also: I wasn't talking about affirmative action in the job market, I was strictly speaking of higher education (mea culpa for not being specific enough).

No ****. And what kind of impact does that have on that generation's kids?

The answer is economic impact.

Also: I wasn't talking about affirmative action in the job market, I was strictly speaking of higher education (mea culpa for not being specific enough).

Agreed. I just get FRUSTRATED with hearing people talking about segregation ending 40-50 years ago (I understand that that wasn't your point btw).

It's been just over a generation and the generational impact won't change until the folks who were deleteriously affected by segregation socially and economically, and their children (who experienced a proximate economic impact)have cycled through the job economy.

Every generation after that, theoretically, should be able to fend for themselves. Sandy Day said as much in the Michigan (Grutter v. Bollinger) ruling when the CONSERVATIVE court ruled on behalf of affirmative action/racial preference in graduate school matriculation:

"It has been 25 years since Justice Powell first approved the use of race to further an interest in student body diversity in the context of public higher education. Since that time, the number of minority applicants with high grades and test scores has indeed increased. See Tr. of Oral Arg. 43. We expect that 25 years from now, the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary to further the interest approved today."

To this day, I have never heard a counter-argument to the generational consideration. Some folks still don't agree in principle, but I haven't yet heard an argument against it.

It has to be because that argument is not advocating affirmative action based on some emotional appeal. It's just common sense.

Incidentally, the anti-affirmative action folks here haven't offered a rebuttal.