Another vaccination thread...Measles outbreak

Beerball

The anti-vaccination crowd's response will be "Ten percent of the cases were vaccinated! So vaccines don't work!"

Conveniently forgetting that, had there been better vaccination coverage, there wouldn't have been an outbreak to begin with, and those 10% wouldn't have been exposed.

I heard an interesting statistic on the radio lately (sorry no link) related to how approx 4-5 percent of school children obtain exemption (either for medical or religious reasons) from getting the immunizations required by federal law for kindergarten enrollment. That statistic was even higher in my state, Alaska, where nearly 9 percent of enrolling kindergarten students obtained this exemption. This is crazyness! I'm just waiting for an outbreak of polio to hit interior Alaska.

I heard an interesting statistic on the radio lately (sorry no link) related to how approx 4-5 percent of school children obtain exemption (either for medical or religious reasons) from getting the immunizations required by federal law for kindergarten enrollment. That statistic was even higher in my state, Alaska, where nearly 9 percent of enrolling kindergarten students obtained this exemption. This is crazyness! I'm just waiting for an outbreak of polio to hit interior Alaska.

We sort of need one...jus' sayin'...Darwin is one smart fellow.

4-5% is roughly the threshold for herd immunity.

I wouldn't be surprised that Alaska's numbers are skewed by abysmally low vaccination rates among the Inuit. Which is probably still better than vaccination rates in upper middle class San Diego, which used to run about 70% not too long ago (could still be, I just don't know the most recent numbers).

4-5% is roughly the threshold for herd immunity.

I wouldn't be surprised that Alaska's numbers are skewed by abysmally low vaccination rates among the Inuit. Which is probably still better than vaccination rates in upper middle class San Diego, which used to run about 70% not too long ago (could still be, I just don't know the most recent numbers).

Inuit's are in Canada, so they don't effect Alaska's numbers. Alaska natives are Yupik. Considering the life style in the Alaska villages I suspect measles is the lest of their concerns.

I got the flu shot and pneumonia shot. I have the flu. I had symptoms for about 48 hours and only on my arse for 15 hours. When I have got this flu in the past I usually am out a week. This time 1 day.

What do you do that you get the flu so often? The last time I had the flu was 20 years ago.