Chiropractic

JÂy RÛßeÒ

I've been dealing with worsening lower back pain for upwards of a year. Recent measurements of my height are an inch shorter than what they used to be. I've mentioned these to my PCP with little reaction so today I contacted a chiropractor and have an evaluation this afternoon.

Anyone here have any experiences/opinions they'd like to share?

My Chiropractor has literally saved my life numerous times (through multiple Rugby and Lacrosse injuries).

If you get a good one, they can change your life. If you need a good one, let me know.

The only thing to be careful of is getting "caught up in the industry". A good Chiro should be able to fix you up within a couple of visits (sometimes even 1), depending on the extent of your injury.

What you need to watch out for, are guys that try to rope you into becoming a recurring customer by almost fixing you every time, and then saying "You need to schedule weekly visits". That's BS.

Now, considering you are just starting out with a Chiro, and your back may need a lot of work, it very well may need a handful of visits before they get you feeling better. Just be sure to get an "estimate" on how many it will take before you are in a good spot again.

Going every couple of months isnt bad, just watch out for those "Weekly Weasels".

I've been to a chiropractor 3x for various injuries (one each time). The benefit varied. Once was awesome - hurt my chest from landing on it playing Vb. One some relief - shoulder problem that ended up being a torn rotator cuff & suspected torn labrum. The other time was once worthless - elbow tendonitis.

I would suggest giving it a try for a time or 2. Personally, I think the chance they'll do any harm is low & there's a decent chance they'll provide significant, or at least noticeable relief.

I have gone for 2 different injuries. The first was a pinched nerve between my neck and shoulder. It took a few visits to fix. The next injury, I was bending over to pick up a baseball and I felt something pop in my lower back. I literally couldn't stand up straight. It was night time and I was in agony all night. Couldn't sleep, sent my boss a note saying that I wouldn't be in to work the next day. Woke up, went to Chiro as soon as it opened. It was IMMEDIATE relief. So much so that I went home, showered and went to work so I didn't have to burn a day.

Check out this study: bulging discs are normal

CONCLUSIONS

On MRI examination of the lumbar spine, many people without back pain have disk bulges or protrusions but not extrusions. Given the high prevalence of these findings and of back pain, the discovery by MRI of bulges or protrusions in people with low back pain may frequently be coincidental.

The typical experience of chronic back pain sufferers goes like this: History of intense pain, spasms, reduced physical activiy. Go to the doctor. Get MRI. In most cases the imaging will reveal some kind of disc "abnormality." The doctor will see this and make his diagnosis. The fact is that most of these so-called abnormalities are actually quite normal and harmless. They cannot neurologically account for the pain that is felt.

The prevalance of back pain has dramatically increased since about the middle of the 20th century. The human back is not that fragile. There is no organic structural reason for an otherwise healthy person to spontaneously be crippled by spasms from harmless activities like bending over, sitting, "sleeping wrong," etc...

The cause of pain in most cases is emotional (primarily repressed anger). Once you realize this, your pain will cease.

I've been dealing with worsening lower back pain for upwards of a year. Recent measurements of my height are an inch shorter than what they used to be. I've mentioned these to my PCP with little reaction so today I contacted a chiropractor and have an evaluation this afternoon.

Anyone here have any experiences/opinions they'd like to share?

Any idea what's causing it? I know with a lot of stress I get a dull low back ache which will get worse with time.

As far as chiropractors my only advice would be to only go if you're in pain and to someone who's highly recommended. Back in high school, my mom was having back pain, decided to use a chiropractor. Always adjusting her back at appointments and having her do it at home also. She kept having recurrences.

I was playing football senior year and decided to do some of these at-home adjustments to keep my back "loose" and properly aligned as preventative. Quickly started having back pain from hits during practice/games. Stopped and had my mom stop also. Pains went away.

At least for me, I think constantly keeping the spine "loose" makes it more vulnerable and then you can get into a catch-22. Which the chiropractors love.

Doing "adjustments" yourself is the absolute worst thing you can do if you have an injury. It's not simply cracking joints.

A true adjustment is the educated manipulation and movement of certain joints in very specific ways and places.

Cracking your neck or back is not an adjustment and provides no benefit other than feeling good at that moment.

I would never deter anyone from consulting with a chiro, but my suggestion would be to get an order from your MD to see a physical therapist first. If you do decide to see a chiro, if they don't take films on you before manipulation, run like hell.

I have a good friend who is a chiro, and if anyone lives in the D.C area I'd be happy to refer you to her. There are chiros who are excellent in what they do, but IMO you have to be very careful in choosing which one you see. There are some areas of chiropractic that are, IMO, ridiculously ambitious. Many of them believe they can replace the need for a medical doctor. I find this thinking to be cavalier and dangerous. I support the chiropractic field in their efforts to further the knowledge base in terms of the human condition, but in no WAY would I ever suggest that anyone replace their MD with a chiro.

But anyway, be careful and good luck with the pain.

After tests to ensure that a) both sides of my body react to stimulation the same way and 2) certain flexes of leg/hip/ankle/neck weren't causing pain or numbness in my legs she said she was able to rule out disk/nerve issues. She then put her hands on my hips and had me raise one leg at a time, at which point she said she knew the cause. Apparently the sacroiliac joint on the right side of my pelvis is frozen, while the left side flexes normally. This lack of mobility in the joint causes the muscles to have to work much harder and stretch more, which is causing the pain. And she told me to get my Costanza-like wallet out of that back pocket :). She did some mild electro-stimulation and performed a few treatments (drop table and others) to start "unfreezing" the joint and treating the muscles.

Doing "adjustments" yourself is the absolute worst thing you can do if you have an injury. It's not simply cracking joints.

A true adjustment is the educated manipulation and movement of certain joints in very specific ways and places.

Cracking your neck or back is not an adjustment and provides no benefit other than feeling good at that moment.

OH, shiit. I've up-set the Chiropractic retard police. I guess over the last 30 years of me adjusting myself when I've needed it should give me about, what, 10 years in jail? :nana:

PSA.

If you have an injury, see your Doctor.