Please take time to sign this online petition to stop censorship

dayman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell us what it said or was it all redacted?

The letter stated:

SOPA bill was introduced by Lamar Smith of Texas and targets foreign "rogue" websights that steal American products and would increase penalties for countefeit medicine and military, and increases US IP enforcement agencies power.

Dec 19 began mark-up of H$3261. Committee has only considered 19 of 60 amendments filed.

The letter then states that the threat presented by "rogue" websights is real in terms of copyright infringment and counterfeit goods. But internet providers, users, and innovators have serious concerns about bill. Part of the bill would be for US based domain servers, internet advertisers, search engines, and financial institutions to prevent access or suspend business services to those in question.

It then states that while there is a need to protect intellectual property and counterfeit, we need to address the problem balanced against the need to preserve the openness and accessability of internet. Reducing counterfeit is crucial for health and economic growth, but it is important that they do not disproportionately affectr our nation's business's or law abiding users.

Sounds like political speak for him voting in favor of censorship to me

The letter stated:

SOPA bill was introduced by Lamar Smith of Texas and targets foreign "rogue" websights that steal American products and would increase penalties for countefeit medicine and military, and increases US IP enforcement agencies power.

Dec 19 began mark-up of H$3261. Committee has only considered 19 of 60 amendments filed.

The letter then states that the threat presented by "rogue" websights is real in terms of copyright infringment and counterfeit goods. But internet providers, users, and innovators have serious concerns about bill. Part of the bill would be for US based domain servers, internet advertisers, search engines, and financial institutions to prevent access or suspend business services to those in question.

It then states that while there is a need to protect intellectual property and counterfeit, we need to address the problem balanced against the need to preserve the openness and accessability of internet. Reducing counterfeit is crucial for health and economic growth, but it is important that they do not disproportionately affectr our nation's business's or law abiding users.

Sounds like political speak for him voting in favor of censorship to me

Or, you know, maybe he's voting against theft.

Are you saying thieves have no right to free thievery?

Isn't that discrimination?

Are you from Utica?

I'm not "from" Utica, but I did serve time there. 4 years. 4 loooooooong years. That's why my face is permanently stuck in that pose.

Well, when the sound is somebody's intellectual property and you don't pay for it....

well then I would to declare my intellectual property- the words I, the, and, hi....the letter's A, R and S......the sound of red tailed hawk, an police siren, and I would also like to patent the sound of people laughing

well then I would to declare my intellectual property- the words I, the, and, hi....the letter's A, R and S......the sound of red tailed hawk, an police siren, and I would also like to patent the sound of people laughing

Wait, are you for real? You honestly feel that IP is not of value?

I have stayed out of the SOPA debate on here because, admittedly, I don't know enough about it on either side. All the info I get is pretty biased considering the field I work in. However, I do take great issue with the attitude/belief you're espousing here with this post.

If I make a movie or TV show, that's a product. Just like a car or a lamp or a battery. And downloading movies or shows illegally is absolutely no different than walking into a BestBuy and stealing a DVD off the shelf. The sale of the movie or show -- whether it be to a studio or network or whatever -- is how a large number of people make their livings. Not just actors, directors and writers either.

That said, I don't think SOPA (as I understand it) is the answer.

Did you invent those things? I don't understand your point. Writing a piece of music is no different than writing a book. Should it be legal to head into your local Barnes and Noble, take whatever you please, and then head out the door?

EDIT: didn't notice tgreg made the exact same point.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Did you invent those things? I don't understand your point. Writing a piece of music is no different than writing a book. Should it be legal to head into your local Barnes and Noble, take whatever you please, and then head out the door?

AOL didn't write the song "Happy Birthday". Yet they own it. That's why you never see happy birthday sung on TV. Khrushchev was right about American's and rope.

AOL didn't write the song "Happy Birthday". Yet they own it. That's why you never see happy birthday sung on TV. Khrushchev was right about American's and rope.

And Barnes & Noble owns the books in their store for the same reason. Because they purchased them from a publisher, who purchased them from a writer. If everybody just stole the product, commercial demand would decline, directly taking money from the writer's pocket. "Happy Birthday" is protected by copyright. Sunny Birchard Music (now part of the TW AOL conglomerate) paid for it. And it wasn't cheap. $25 million.

Your initial claim was - how do you own a sound? Back that up.