Question for the Boston TBDers

Ramius

I've got a line on a job there. Been running some numbers, and i'm just trying to get a feel on what the minimum income would be to live off of in the area to see if the job is worth pursuing. It'd be me and the girl, and we'd be on my salary until she got a job.

If anyone wants to talk the numbers they're throwing out there, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

I've got a line on a job there. Been running some numbers, and i'm just trying to get a feel on what the minimum income would be to live off of in the area to see if the job is worth pursuing. It'd be me and the girl, and we'd be on my salary until she got a job.

If anyone wants to talk the numbers they're throwing out there, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Not quite in the area, but I can say that generally speakin' incomes are higher (I believe MA has the highest in the nation) but likewise, the cost of living is higher.

And Levi, New England living is not easy sometimes....

Edited by UConn James

Boston's not cheap - housing is more expensive than most places (not as bad as NYC, San Fran or southern CA), but if you're coming from a place like Buffalo where it is affordable you'll defintely be a bit shocked. That said, it's all about where you want to live. If the job is in Boston and you want to live within the Rt. 128 loop it'll be more pricet than if you're willing to move further out and commute in. Boston is very much a car city - there is public transport but unless you live in Boston/Cambridge and work in Boston/Cambridge you'll probably be driving for your commute - it's not like NYC where everyone takes public transit.

Where's the job? What area do you want to be in? Boston and suburbs are a big place - hard to answer your questions unless you narrow it down.....

Boston's not cheap - housing is more expensive than most places (not as bad as NYC, San Fran or southern CA), but if you're coming from a place like Buffalo where it is affordable you'll defintely be a bit shocked. That said, it's all about where you want to live. If the job is in Boston and you want to live within the Rt. 128 loop it'll be more pricet than if you're willing to move further out and commute in. Boston is very much a car city - there is public transport but unless you live in Boston/Cambridge and work in Boston/Cambridge you'll probably be driving for your commute - it's not like NYC where everyone takes public transit.

Where's the job? What area do you want to be in? Boston and suburbs are a big place - hard to answer your questions unless you narrow it down.....

Its in cambridge. I got the line on it from an old co-worker who works there now. She lives in Whitman and commutes to the T. I'm not particularly picky on where i live, but i wouldn't want to live in the city. I'd prefer to live outside (within reasonable commuting distance). I've got no problem taking the T.

Its in cambridge. I got the line on it from an old co-worker who works there now. She lives in Whitman and commutes to the T. I'm not particularly picky on where i live, but i wouldn't want to live in the city. I'd prefer to live outside (within reasonable commuting distance). I've got no problem taking the T.

Cambridge is pricey, and I'd consider it city - sounds like you're going to be commuting. Your choices will be to drive in from wherever (and probably pay for parking every day) or take the T in (which you'll probably have to drive to and also pay for parking). How long of a commute is too long for you? The T is decent, but it doesn't go that far out of Boston/Cambridge and it also stops running at night (if you're going to work weird hours the T will NOT be an option). Traffic into Cambridge can be brutal depending on where you're coming from.