Anyone quit smoking?

Jim in Anchorage

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I like the part about no urge after 16 months. I get to many "I quit 20 years ago and would still kill for a smoke"! That talk gets discouraging.

Had the vice from the age of 16 to 33. In the final 5 years I was smoking a pack and half per day, starting early in the morning before breakfast.

A friend handed me a book about quiting smoking and while I was reading it I smoked my last cig and I never looked back. I didn't gain weight, I was able to consume the same amount of alcohol than when I was a smoker, everything is better.

If you don't want to quit smoking you won't be able to. If you're serious about it, because you realize smoking doesn't really serve any purpose or gain for the quality of your life, you will find yourself quitting inmediately.

It's been a year and the thought of going back to smoking sounds retarded. I wish you the best of luck, you can do it. :thumbsup:

Jim:

I smoked for a couple of decades and probably quit 3 or 4 times before finally getting it right. I went to Nicorette Gum. It not only replaced the nicotine but gave me something to do after eating or when drinking. I got sick of the chomping and converted to Commit (nicotine lozenges) and then slowly started replacing those with no sugar hard candy. I've been nicotine free for years and hate the smell of smoke. Everbody is different and no one plan works for everyone. Find the right plan and good luck with it.

Wow, great responses. I feel very encouraged, almost looking forward to it. Shooting for This Sunday, after a booze free Saturday. Don't want a trace of a hangover to start this with.

Dude....if you can make it through that quitting smoking should be a snap.

Good Luck sir. I just fell off the wagon a few weeks ago. I am quitting again on Monday. Prior to quitting I had been a pack a day smoker for ten years. Remember, because I forgot after a month or two, how good it feels to wake up in the morning and not immediately hack up ****. It is actually very nice. Good Luck again.

I quit 10 years ago for good. I had quit a few times over the years successfully (By successful I mean quit for 2 years or more) using different methods. Sometimes I would taper off usage to zero. Sometimes using the patch. Sometimes cold turkey. I think the last time was cold turkey, after 3 days the withdrawl symptoms go away.

One trick I always did was to put a pack of smokes in the freezer. I found it soothing to know if I freaked out and just had to have a smoke at 4:00am, I had a pack of smokes there as backup. For me it was soothing and not tempting.

That was over 10 years ago, I havn't thought about a cigarette forever, mostly when I think of a cigarette now it is how smelly they are and how much I dislike them.

I can drink like a fish with no urges for cigarettes. Now I need to stop drinking like a fish.

Thanks. I like the part about no urge after 16 months. I get to many "I quit 20 years ago and would still kill for a smoke"! That talk gets discouraging.

Hey Jim.

I'm only posting here because this is such an important subject and it seems my experience is a bit different from what's been posted so far.

I haven't had a smoke in about a month.

I started smoking occasionally/socially in high school. Sporadically through college and off and on throughout adulthood. I turned 50 last January.

A few things have made it hard to quit… the first one being that my wife smokes and I haven't been able to get her to quit. But I refuse to let her vice become an excuse for me any longer. If she can't quit for me, well at least I can quit for myself. More on this later.

The other thing that's made it difficult is a bit ironic and difficult to understand: in the past it was always so easy for me to quit cold turkey for months, even years at a time. SO I always took it for granted that I could quit anytime I wanted. Well now that's coming to the test as I'm determined to quit now. I have to.

I've always been young and healthful looking for my age and I'm trying to use that as psychological motivation… people always seem surprised that I smoke so one part of me is trying to convince myself that I'm not really a smoker, even though the proof is in the pudding. I always played sports and was physically fit so I think my self-image as a non-smoker will be helpful.

The latest thing that compelled me to quit is that I work construction. Despite improvements in safety and working conditions, I'm still in a very high risk group for all the lung ailments… due to exposure to things like asbestos, crystalline silica, etc. In the last few years as I've smoked a bit more, I've noticed that my lung capacity isn't what it used to be. I'm still a tireless worker and a hustler but I find the effort to do the same things has become greater.

We'll all die someday but there are better and worse ways to die and I don't want to die of lung cancer or emphysema… I don't want to ever have an oxygen tank in order to breathe. I've decided I can't defer this action in my life any longer. Dad is 88 and Mom is turning 80 and I want to live long and have a good quality of life while I'm here for my family. I've run out of time to procrastinate on this. It's time to man up.

Here's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned and I hope it's helpful although I'm not sure it will be… but it helps me. I mentioned that my wife smokes:

I've come to accept the fact that because of her, for every day of my life in the foreseeable future I will be visited by the temptation to have a cigarette. By accepting this it's hardened me to the fact that this will be a tough road from which I can't stray. Zero tolerance. I have to be strong and disciplined to have any chance of success. I won't allow myself to cheat and set myself back because as I said above, I'm running out of time/my margin for error is evaporating. By accepting the reality or truths of these assertions, I am being honest with myself and as a result, not allowing myself to slip off the wagon. I don't know if this paragraph will make any sense because it's hard to explain but it's like in AA or other substance groups: You have to own your addiction in order to beat it. Even though there's a part of me that doesn't view myself as a smoker, I am going to concede that I am so that there isn't any more rationalizing… no cheating… no waffling… no being dishonest with myself.

Anyways I hope this is helpful and good luck!

Hey Jim.

I'm only posting here because this is such an important subject and it seems my experience is a bit different from what's been posted so far.

I started smoking occasionally/socially in high school. Sporadically through college and off and on throughout adulthood. I turned 50 last January.

A few things have made it hard to quit… the first one being that my wife smokes and I haven't been able to get her to quit. But I refuse to let her vice become an excuse for me any longer. If she can't quit for me, well at least I can quit for myself. More on this later.

The other thing that's made it difficult is a bit ironic and difficult to understand: in the past it was always so easy for me to quit cold turkey for months, even years at a time. SO I always took it for granted that I could quit anytime I wanted. Well now that's coming to the test as I'm determined to quit now. I have to.

I've always been young and healthful looking for my age and I'm trying to use that as psychological motivation… people always seem surprised that I smoke so one part of me is trying to convince myself that I'm not really a smoker, even though the proof is in the pudding. I always played sports and was physically fit so I think my self-image as a non-smoker will be helpful.

The latest thing that compelled me to quit is that I work construction. Despite improvements in safety and working conditions, I'm still in a very high risk group for all the lung ailments… due to exposure to things like asbestos, crystalline silica, etc. In the last few years as I've smoked a bit more, I've noticed that my lung capacity isn't what it used to be. I'm still a tireless worker and a hustler but I find the effort to do the same things has become greater.

We'll all die someday but there are better and worse ways to die and I don't want to die of lung cancer or emphysema… I don't want to ever have an oxygen tank in order to breathe. I've decided I can't defer this action in my life any longer. Dad is 88 and Mom is turning 80 and I want to live long and have a good quality of life while I'm here for my family. I've run out of time to procrastinate on this. It's time to man up.

Here's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned and I hope it's helpful although I'm not sure it will be… but it helps me. I mentioned that my wife smokes:

I've come to accept the fact that because of her, for every day of my life in the foreseeable future I will be visited by the temptation to have a cigarette. By accepting this it's hardened me to the fact that this will be a tough road from which I can't stray. Zero tolerance. I have to be strong and disciplined to have any chance of success. I won't allow myself to cheat and set myself back because as I said above, I'm running out of time/my margin for error is evaporating. By accepting the reality or truths of these assertions, I am being honest with myself and as a result, not allowing myself to slip off the wagon. I don't know if this paragraph will make any sense because it's hard to explain but it's like in AA or other substance groups: You have to own your addiction in order to beat it. Even though there's a part of me that doesn't view myself as a smoker, I am going to concede that I am so that there isn't any more rationalizing… no cheating… no waffling… no being dishonest with myself.

Good luck to you. My situation was the opposite, my girl was a social smoker but after meeting me started smoking a lot more and she was a huge help in getting me to quit. I hope your wife sees the light as well and quits with you.

Hey Jim.

My wife still smokes and always has smoked. You have to quit smoking inspite of her smoking in front of you. I should mention that we always smoked outside of our house. We have never smoked inside our house. An advantage of living in San Diego.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

Good luck to you. My situation was the opposite, my girl was a social smoker but after meeting me started smoking a lot more and she was a huge help in getting me to quit. I hope your wife sees the light as well and quits with you.

Thanks BBSD… funny I almost typed BDSM.

:)

My wife still smokes and always has smoked. You have to quit smoking inspite of her smoking in front of you. I should mention that we always smoked outside of our house. We have never smoked inside our house. An advantage of living in San Diego.

Yep. I gave up on the idea of us quitting together… or at least she did. I'm going ahead without her.

And yes. She smokes outside. San Jose has that so-called "Mediterranean Climate." Today was Sunny and 70… although a bit windy as is the whole state apparently.