Top albums of the year lists are starting to emerge...

The Poojer

never heard of Paste Magazine, but I like some of their inclusions...

Kurt Vile

War On Drugs

Dawes

Middle Brother

Deer Tick

Bon Iver(although #1 is a bit elevated i think)

Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr.

Civil Wars

lots of other good ones on there, time to start my yearly update of my cd collection....here I come demon..... :pirate:

Paste is pretty good. Don't think it exists in a physical format anymore, but they always favored "grown up" indie rock and americana. It's really the place to go for recommendations on more sophisticated pop and roots music.

I just got that War On Drugs LP yesterday and it is incredible. Figure an odd mix between early 80's Springsteen, 90s Tom Petty and krautrock. Kurt Vile used to play guitar for them before going solo. If it's worth anything, if I had to make a top 10 for the year now (without really thinking about it and in no real order):

1)The Donkeys: Born With Stripes

2)Wild Flag: s/t

3)Rocket From The Tombs: Barfly

4)War on Drugs: Slave Ambient

5)Mannequin Men: s/t

6)!@#$ed Up: David Comes to Life

7)Boston Spaceships: Let it Beard/Mars Classroom: New Theory of Everything (Bob Pollard has put out 5 good records this year, but these two are the best)

8)Thee Oh Sees: Castlemania

9)Wet Illustrated: 1x1x1

10)Psandwich: Northern Psych

From that list I've only picked up the Ryan Adams, Wilco and My Morning Jacket albums. I enjoyed the RA and Wilco albums, especially Wilco as they had largely lost me with their past few efforts, but the MMJ disc I didn't think was worthy of a top 10 rating. I'll have to check out some of the others.

I have f***ed up and its a bit too much for me on a regular basis, but its pretty good..sounds like the lead singer is on his way out to be a parent...

Paste is pretty good. Don't think it exists in a physical format anymore, but they always favored "grown up" indie rock and americana. It's really the place to go for recommendations on more sophisticated pop and roots music.

I just got that War On Drugs LP yesterday and it is incredible. Figure an odd mix between early 80's Springsteen, 90s Tom Petty and krautrock. Kurt Vile used to play guitar for them before going solo. If it's worth anything, if I had to make a top 10 for the year now (without really thinking about it and in no real order):

1)The Donkeys: Born With Stripes

2)Wild Flag: s/t

3)Rocket From The Tombs: Barfly

4)War on Drugs: Slave Ambient

5)Mannequin Men: s/t

6)!@#$ed Up: David Comes to Life

7)Boston Spaceships: Let it Beard/Mars Classroom: New Theory of Everything (Bob Pollard has put out 5 good records this year, but these two are the best)

8)Thee Oh Sees: Castlemania

9)Wet Illustrated: 1x1x1

10)Psandwich: Northern Psych

Old guys top 10:

1- "Screws Get Loose"- Those Darlins

2- "Middle Brother"- Middle Brother

3- "Own Side Now"- Caitlin Rose

4- "Nothing Is Wrong"- Dawes

5- "That Old Magic"- Nick Lowe

6- "Go-Go Boots"- Drive-By Truckers

7- "You and Me"- Bruce Robison

8- "Walk Of Shame"- Nikki lane

9- "Ghost In the Canvas"- Glen Campbell

10-"Some Girls"- unreleased tracks- Rolling Stones*

*might rank higher, but was mostly recorded in 1978

i think it says a lot that Dawes, Deer Tick, & Middle Brother are getting so much love...I am surprised you don't have Deer Tick on your list...

Old guys top 10:

1- "Screws Get Loose"- Those Darlins

2- "Middle Brother"- Middle Brother

3- "Own Side Now"- Caitlin Rose

4- "Nothing Is Wrong"- Dawes

5- "That Old Magic"- Nick Lowe

6- "Go-Go Boots"- Drive-By Truckers

7- "You and Me"- Bruce Robison

8- "Walk Of Shame"- Nikki lane

9- "Ghost In the Canvas"- Glen Campbell

10-"Some Girls"- unreleased tracks- Rolling Stones*

*might rank higher, but was mostly recorded in 1978

i think it says a lot that Dawes, Deer Tick, & Middle Brother are getting so much love...I am surprised you don't have Deer Tick on your list...

Thought about Deer Tick for #10, but, I guess the new album hasn't bowled me over as much as the others...I have only had it a few weeks, but haven't found myself wanting to hear it over and over...like the other 10. I suspect it will grow on me. Some of my favorite albums have been ones that didn't do much for me at first.

Edited by Buftex

Wasting Light anyone?

That was my #1 for almost all year, but right now I would say the best by far is the Stones - Brussels Affair 73 download. I just bought the Stones - Live In Texas BD version without the extra CD (since I already have the Handsome Girls box set, original silvers :thumbsup: ), but that CD would also have to be right at the top. Honorable mention to the Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Immersion box (way too much bling, but the BD with both the new 5.1 mix & original quad mix rules) and Social Distortion - Hard Times & Nursery Rhymes. Edited by Rico