John Denver song came on at my local bar tonight....

The Poojer

with everyone on this board that has such awesome and diverse musical taste....john denver was always dismissed(by me and many others) as lightweight crap...but man...he was really good...i saw a special about him a bunch of years ago and it was really moving...his music was easy to dismiss, but at the end of the day, i bet we all deep down really have some sort of guilty pleasure when his music is played...didn't realize he died exactly one year before my youngest son was born....13 years ago....

with everyone on this board that has such awesome and diverse musical taste....john denver was always dismissed(by me and many others) as lightweight crap...but man...he was really good...i saw a special about him a bunch of years ago and it was really moving...his music was easy to dismiss, but at the end of the day, i bet we all deep down really have some sort of guilty pleasure when his music is played...didn't realize he died exactly one year before my youngest son was born....13 years ago....

Do you happen to know the song?

i think i remember a lot of speculation that he took the plane down on purpose...

yes, I remember this, as well. Also, some saying he took the plane down in the bay because he did not put anyone else in jeopardy due to a problem with the plane.

His folk style with country vocal was interesting; not "country" at the time.

yes, I remember this, as well. Also, some saying he took the plane down in the bay because he did not put anyone else in jeopardy due to a problem with the plane.

His folk style with country vocal was interesting; not "country" at the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=35x_rwyBh-8

Though not his signature song, it was my favorie

Funny...the first album I ever owned, that was mine, was "Back Home Again" by John Denver. I got it for my birthday, cuz I loved the song "Thank God I'm a Country Boy". My many sisters, and brother teased me endlessly about liking "John Duchendork" (his real name was John Duchendorf, or something like that), but I dug him. He was huge at the time...he had a variety show. I loved his stuff when I was in 2nd grade...as I got a little older, around 5th-6th grade I was starting to get more into what is called now "classic rock", but I always had a soft spot in my heart for JD.

In 1988, I was living in NYC. I purchased my first CD player, ordered it in the mail. I still remember, it came on a Friday, and it was payday. I headed over to Tower Records (I worked there) to buy my first CD's. I had socked away enough scratch, I figured, to buy 3 CD's. At that time, my inclination was to grab "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile On Main Street". As I was shopping around, trying to figure out if I really wanted my first CD purchase to be all Stones, I decided to keep "Sticky Fingers", and pick up two others. I picked Nico "Chelsea Girl". I wanted it because, at that time, I could never find it on vinyl, and had never heard the whole thing....as I am trying to figure out what the other CD will be (for some reason, stupid things like this have always held great significance for me), and I look up, about 5 feet away from me is none-other than John Duchendork himself...he was in town to apppear on the Peoples Choice Awards. I immediately went over to the country section and grabbed a copy of "Back Home Again" on CD..it had to be my first CD! I went over and told John Denver my story...he just smiled and said "Far out!" As you may recall, that was his trademark back in the day...he autographed the cover of the CD for me...still have it on my mantle...it just says "Peace- John Denver" My first album, was also my first CD. I have loved music my whole life...it is my constant companion...I am always eternally grateful to John Denver, nerd that he was, for being the one to lure me in...

Anyone with a sensitive bone in their body gets a little choked up on this one:

Edited by Buftex

Buftex, that's a great story about JD, man! Loved your line about how music is your constant companion...I'd say that's true of a lot of us on here, and that's why I LOVE our music threads.

Like you guys, I have a lot of memories about the guy, as well. We had two or three of his 8-tracks in our woody station wagon when I was a kid. Aside from Debbie Boone, who my mom loved, JD probably got the most playing time. I still remember how the 8-track looked. It was black in color and it was one of his greatest hits albums. It had four or five songs that we always sang to while driving...gosh, I haven't thought about this stuff in YEARS!!

I tell you which song always sort of hit me in the emotional department, it's Sunshine on My Shoulders. I have no idea why, but it seems to trigger something from my youth. It really showcases the timbre of his voice, which actually is very nice and perhaps a bit underrated.

I was really sad when I heard of his passing...

Listen to the Poems, Prayers and Promises album sometime.

Wow, I wish I were a bit closer to having a vinyl rig set up...Amazon has the vinyl version of that album for sale :thumbsup:

Interesting track list...several of his own cuts combined with covers of James Taylor and the Beatles...nice!

Wow, I wish I were a bit closer to having a vinyl rig set up...Amazon has the vinyl version of that album for sale :thumbsup:

Interesting track list...several of his own cuts combined with covers of James Taylor and the Beatles...nice!

Title song is really good. He had an incredible voice and wrote good stuff early in his career.

My older sister had all all John Denver's albums when I was a just a lad. Spent many hours listening to them playing in our house. Was actually the first 'real' concert I ever went to -with my family at The Aud. Opening act - Starland Vocal Band (Afternoon Delight!)

just thinking of my farm , coming home at Christmas , being back home , being with people you love, just fundamental, simple precious things of life. Not ashamed to admit to enjoying his music a great deal , play it often. :)

Damn right, Millbank...no shame at all in admitting that! JD is a great example of an artist I probably never appreciated enough until I looked back on all that he did, and I can say I'm right there with you in enjoying his music.