Freddie Mercury died 20 years ago today

The Poojer

If Bruce Springsteen is considered a frontman, then I will have to respectfully disagree.

A very good choice as well! :thumbsup:

They both do their jobs very well. And that isnt just signing or playing an instrument, it's connecting with the audience and making them feel like part of the group, while staking your territory on that stage as the Guy In Charge.

As far as Freddie/Queen goes, I'll always remember being 5 years old and watching Live Aid with my dad and little sister (3) and all of us doing the Radio GaGa clap along with the crowd.

Of course, I'll also always remember being the same age and dancing like the Boss after he pulls Courtney Cox onstage along with the Dancing in the Dark video.

1984/85 was a great year for music. :thumbsup::worthy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta definitely keep Bruce in the conversation since (I believe) he wrote most of his own shiit, just like Freddy and the boys did. Freddy still stays in the top spot for me since I think he was more physically gifted in terms of his vocals, and also because Queen has arguably been more iconic. Just my opinion...and I grew up with Bruce more than I did with Queen.

Freddie could work a crowd like no one else. Including Springsteen. That, in my opinion, is what makes him the greatest front-man in rock.

"Iconic..." I wouldn't even introduce into the argument. The "iconicness" of Springsteen vs. Mercury depends almost entirely on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

Freddie could work a crowd like no one else. Including Springsteen. That, in my opinion, is what makes him the greatest front-man in rock.

"Iconic..." I wouldn't even introduce into the argument. The "iconicness" of Springsteen vs. Mercury depends almost entirely on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

An argument can be made for a certain Mr. Presley in this regard as well.

Marc Bolan is another in the upper echelon of great front-men, though neither he nor T. Rex has really stood the test of time.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

What about the music itself,though? Some of Queen's tracks have basically become anthems. Save for "Born in the USA", I don't know that Bruce can compare in this regard. That's what I was thinking about in terms of being iconic, more so the music than the performer.

I see what you mean about working the crowd...even on just the few video clips I've seen, it's almost infectious watching him on stage in terms of the energy he brings. I can't wait to see the entire Montreal show on bluray!

An argument can be made for a certain Mr. Presley in this regard as well.

Marc Bolan is another in the upper echelon of great front-men, though neither he nor T. Rex has really stood the test of time.

Anyone know off hand approx what percentage of Elvis' music he wrote or co-wrote?

Edited by ajzepp

Save for "Born in the USA", I don't know that Bruce can compare in this regard.

I love Freddie and Queen in general, but I have to disagree with this. "Born to Run"? "Glory Days"? What about "Thunder Road"?

Or maybe I'm the only one that pumps up the volume in my car when "Thunder Road" comes on and belts out, "It's a town full of losers, and I'm pulling out of here to win" at the top of my lungs :unsure:

I love Freddie and Queen in general, but I have to disagree with this. "Born to Run"? "Glory Days"? What about "Thunder Road"?

Or maybe I'm the only one that pumps up the volume in my car when "Thunder Road" comes on and belts out, "It's a town full of losers, and I'm pulling out of here to win" at the top of my lungs :unsure:

Those are great songs for sure. I'm not explaining my point well, I don't think lol.

I am super impressed by the videos posted, esp. the ones at Wembley - something about that place really gets the crowd going.......However, I disagree with the Atlantic thing. Bruce is probably more popular in Europe than he is in the States. It seems to be a harder ticket to get and you've ever seen the crowds, they are way more into it than here.

I, like Levi, will crank Thunder Road!

And, I think what Zepp is going for are songs that you will here more often like at games - We are The Champions, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust - these are pretty much catchphrases at this point.

The best time I ever heard We Are the Champions was when I was a freshman in college and we won the AFC East in 1980. 8000 or more people, most of drunk as rats, waited at Prior Aviation for the Bills to get back from SF. I remember them playing that, and going crazy.......The next time I'll enjoy it that much is if and when the Bills win the Super Bowl.

I am super impressed by the videos posted, esp. the ones at Wembley - something about that place really gets the crowd going.......However, I disagree with the Atlantic thing. Bruce is probably more popular in Europe than he is in the States. It seems to be a harder ticket to get and you've ever seen the crowds, they are way more into it than here.

I, like Levi, will crank Thunder Road!

And, I think what Zepp is going for are songs that you will here more often like at games - We are The Champions, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust - these are pretty much catchphrases at this point.

The best time I ever heard We Are the Champions was when I was a freshman in college and we won the AFC East in 1980. 8000 or more people, most of drunk as rats, waited at Prior Aviation for the Bills to get back from SF. I remember them playing that, and going crazy.......The next time I'll enjoy it that much is if and when the Bills win the Super Bowl.

Exactly, they have music that sort of transcends the radio and enters into other areas of our culture, such as sporting events. That's exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you lol

And I agree, those videos are amazing quality. It really did feel like you were getting a feel for what it must have been like to see Freddy live. The crowd is just completely enamored and captivated by the guy!

Oh, and the temperature that night was 12 degrees. A really insane night that we'll never see again.

Exactly, they have music that sort of transcends the radio and enters into other areas of our culture, such as sporting events. That's exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you lol

And I agree, those videos are amazing quality. It really did feel like you were getting a feel for what it must have been like to see Freddy live. The crowd is just completely enamored and captivated by the guy!

I especially love the Love of My Life one at Wembley!

I really didn't know how amazing his voice was until these videos.

Oh, and the temperature that night was 12 degrees. A really insane night that we'll never see again.

I especially love the Love of My Life one at Wembley!

I really didn't know how amazing his voice was until these videos.

I know what you mean...it's like you sort of take his vocal talent for granted, because some of these songs are so familiar and the band is so well known. But when you step back and really pay attention, you can see the guy had a vocal ability that was off the charts. It's just so effortless watching him perform live...I really can't wait to see more of this.

For some reason I didn't think there was a lot of live footage of Freddy and the boys....but now I know why those clips that you, Levi, and others posted are such good quality! I feel like a moron....I had no idea they were this amazing live!

I saw them August 1980 at Reunion Arena in Dallas on 'The Game' tour. Top 5 concert all time for me, no doubt.

At the encouragement of some of the vids posted on this thread, I've been listening to all of my Queen LP's over the last couple days.

To close your eyes and listen to Freddie Mercury is to be in the presence of true greatness, the kind that only comes along once or twice in a lifetime. His range, the raw power, the subtle timbres of his voice, can never be duplicated.

Listening to Freddie provides one of those moments where you say to yourself, "Holy crap. I could spend literally every second of my life devoted to mastering this art and I would never be 1% as good as him." I've had other moments like that...watching Richard Pryor, Dominik Hasek, Daniel Day Lewis - reading Hemingway.

Some men were put on this Earth to do one specific thing.

At the encouragement of some of the vids posted on this thread, I've been listening to all of my Queen LP's over the last couple days.

To close your eyes and listen to Freddie Mercury is to be in the presence of true greatness, the kind that only comes along once or twice in a lifetime. His range, the raw power, the subtle timbres of his voice, can never be duplicated.

Listening to Freddie provides one of those moments where you say to yourself, "Holy crap. I could spend literally every second of my life devoted to mastering this art and I would never be 1% as good as him." I've had other moments like that...watching Richard Pryor, Dominik Hasek, Daniel Day Lewis - reading Hemingway.

Some men were put on this Earth to do one specific thing.

Awesome post, man...as soon as my Freddy bluray shows up, I'll be right there with you!

Great avatar, btw :thumbsup:

I saw them August 1980 at Reunion Arena in Dallas on 'The Game' tour. Top 5 concert all time for me, no doubt.

Wow, I'm envious of you guys who were able to attend a live show...must have been a great time! I've seen enough of your music posts over the years to know that if you say it's a top 5 show, that's quite a compliment...same with the Pooj :thumbsup:

Someday I'll put more thought into it but off the too of my head..top t in no particular order are: SRV at longbranch park in Liverpool, queen at war memorial in Syracuse, Robert Randolph, innsbrook in Richmond, Elvis Costello in suny oswego, and maybe the Walkmen on south street in philly...note thus lust doesn't include zappa, warren zevon, the clash, the who, the stones among many, many, many others

Awesome post, man...as soon as my Freddy bluray shows up, I'll be right there with you!

Great avatar, btw :thumbsup:

Wow, I'm envious of you guys who were able to attend a live show...must have been a great time! I've seen enough of your music posts over the years to know that if you say it's a top 5 show, that's quite a compliment...same with the Pooj :thumbsup:

Someday I'll put more thought into it but off the too of my head..top t in no particular order are: SRV at longbranch park in Liverpool, queen at war memorial in Syracuse, Robert Randolph, innsbrook in Richmond, Elvis Costello in suny oswego, and maybe the Walkmen on south street in philly...note thus lust doesn't include zappa, warren zevon, the clash, the who, the stones among many, many, many others

Wow, that's an amazing list of shows/performers...SRV is another artist where I was late to the party, unfortunately. Although he didn't really stick around long enough for me to discover him :(

I just saw a Queen concert on Palladia last night. It was filmed in Montreal. Freddie was AWESOME. It pisses me off that I never saw them in concert.

Pretty sure that's the concert I just got on bluray...glad to hear it was good...can't wait!