Freddie Mercury died 20 years ago today

The Poojer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but like you mentioned...it doesn't matter....what an immense talent. I can't wait for the movie, something tells me that Sacha Baron Cohen is gonna portray him so well...i bet he's as good as jim carrey was as andy kaufmann...(not intended to tie in another thread)

Was the guy really gay, though? Not that it matters, I have always just been confused - so many say he was, so many say he wasn't...?

Was the guy really gay, though? Not that it matters, I have always just been confused - so many say he was, so many say he wasn't...?

There's a story about him backstage at Live Aid hitting on just about every guy in the place (jokingly, I believe). Bono made some comment about "He's a little light in the loafers, isn't he?" to which one of his bandmates replied "Hello...QUEEN???"

Yeah, he was gay. Gayer than Liberace. And a phenomenal talent, though.

His best vocals, imo, were on Somebody to Love...

I concur.

Not sure you watch the show "The Sing-Off," but it's a competition b/w acapella groups (great show).

One group--the Dartmouth Aires--did an awesome Queen medley, with a great version of Somebody to Love at the end (check out around 1:46).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9PHMklaqwo

This sounds majorly gay in retrospect, but I'll take one for the team since it's Freddy...

When I was growing up in the 70s/early 80s (born in '72), my friends and I would go to this roller rink/arcade place. It was basically shaped like an oval donut, with the donut hole being occupied by a really cool arcade. Anyway, I remember we'd go there every so often, and the BEST time to get out there on the skates was when they played a Queen song. Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Rock You, We are the Champions, etc...that's when just about everyone got out there and just got into the music.

I'm really thankful for this, because Queen was basically my first real exposure to a rock ban, and I became a fan of theirs from a very young age. At home, my parents were going through a WICKED disco phase, and all we had there were 8 tracks and cassettes of disco music. Not that there is anything wrong with that...after all, it was the farkin 70s....but I feel as if Freddy and the boys were part of my life from early on and I've grown to appreciate him as an adult even more than when I was a kid.

BTW, the Night at the Opera documentary is available on Netflix streaming for anyone who hasn't seen it....it's fantastic!

Amen.

youtube.com/watch?v=OwR1ENJeReI

Wow, I happened to have my Sennheiser headphones sitting here, so since I had NFL Network on and I wanted to hear Freddy on the video, I put the headphones on. If anyone else has a pair, toss em on while watching this clip...sounds like you're there live as it was being performed! :thumbsup:

Edited by ajzepp

This sounds majorly gay in retrospect, but I'll take one for the team since it's Freddy...

When I was growing up in the 70s/early 80s (born in '72), my friends and I would go to this roller rink/arcade place. It was basically shaped like an oval donut, with the donut hole being occupied by a really cool arcade. Anyway, I remember we'd go there every so often, and the BEST time to get out there on the skates was when they played a Queen song. Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Rock You, We are the Champions, etc...that's when just about everyone got out there and just got into the music.

I'm really thankful for this, because Queen was basically my first real exposure to a rock ban, and I became a fan of theirs from a very young age. At home, my parents were going through a WICKED disco phase, and all we had there were 8 tracks and cassettes of disco music. Not that there is anything wrong with that...after all, it was the farkin 70s....but I feel as if Freddy and the boys were part of my life from early on and I've grown to appreciate him as an adult even more than when I was a kid.

BTW, the Night at the Opera documentary is available on Netflix streaming for anyone who hasn't seen it....it's fantastic!

Wow, I happened to have my Sennheiser headphones sitting here, so since I had NFL Network on and I wanted to hear Freddy on the video, I put the headphones on. If anyone else has a pair, toss em on while watching this clip...sounds like you're there live as it was being performed! :thumbsup:

1st off, SHOCKED that you are 6 years younger than me. From your posts, I was certain you were 3-5 years older than me.

2nd, sorry but AOBtD was '80. You can try to blame that on the '70's disco craze but it just missed it.

3rd. I was driving back to Buffalo after a Bills - Jest game that the Bills actually won (way back when) when the DJ told us that Freddie had passed away from AIDS and he chose 'Someone To Love' as the song to commemorate it. Sorry, but I think that was what got Freddie into that mess in the first place. There were so many great Queen songs to choose to play upon his passing, why did the DJ choose THAT to commemorate him? I am still bitter about that 20 years later.

1st off, SHOCKED that you are 6 years younger than me. From your posts, I was certain you were 3-5 years older than me.

2nd, sorry but AOBtD was '80. You can try to blame that on the '70's disco craze but it just missed it.

3rd. I was driving back to Buffalo after a Bills - Jest game that the Bills actually won (way back when) when the DJ told us that Freddie had passed away from AIDS and he chose 'Someone To Love' as the song to commemorate it. Sorry, but I think that was what got Freddie into that mess in the first place. There were so many great Queen songs to choose to play upon his passing, why did the DJ choose THAT to commemorate him? I am still bitter about that 20 years later.

That's something I've been realizing more and more is that there is so much great Queen music that never hit the radio and that I never heard before. Even that Roger Taylor song, "I'm in Love With My Car" has really gotten some air time with me lately cause it's sorta catchy. I'd never heard it prior to a few months ago and it wasn't on the Queen compilation (2-disc) that was sort of serving as the foundation of the Queen tracks in my personal library. I want to go back and pick up the first two Queen albums and give a complete listen to both, cause I'm sure that MOST of those tracks I'm not familiar with.

Funny you say that about the age thing and my posts lol...I've heard that a few times...and sometimes I feel about ten years older than I actually am :blush:

That's something I've been realizing more and more is that there is so much great Queen music that never hit the radio and that I never heard before. Even that Roger Taylor song, "I'm in Love With My Car" has really gotten some air time with me lately cause it's sorta catchy. I'd never heard it prior to a few months ago and it wasn't on the Queen compilation (2-disc) that was sort of serving as the foundation of the Queen tracks in my personal library. I want to go back and pick up the first two Queen albums and give a complete listen to both, cause I'm sure that MOST of those tracks I'm not familiar with.

Funny you say that about the age thing and my posts lol...I've heard that a few times...and sometimes I feel about ten years older than I actually am :blush:

D*mn, somebody remade 'I'm in love w/ my car?' I am now convinced that you really are several years younger than me, as I had no idea that anyone remade that (or more technically that anyone had remade it and got radio / Itunes play for it).

Of course, I am still hoping that one of my in-laws get me 'pumped up kicks' for Christmas. So I'm apparently still not accepting just how old I really am.

D*mn, somebody remade 'I'm in love w/ my car?' I am now convinced that you really are several years younger than me, as I had no idea that anyone remade that (or more technically that anyone had remade it and got radio / Itunes play for it).

Of course, I am still hoping that one of my in-laws get me 'pumped up kicks' for Christmas. So I'm apparently still not accepting just how old I really am.

lol, pumped up kicks is pretty catch too...oh, and I was referring to the original version of 'car'....I saw RogerTaylor talking about it on the "Queen: A Night at the Opera" documentary and it sort of stuck in my head. I dig that guy's voice, too...almost like a more rock version of Rod Stewart.

lol, pumped up kicks is pretty catch too...oh, and I was referring to the original version of 'car'....I saw RogerTaylor talking about it on the "Queen: A Night at the Opera" documentary and it sort of stuck in my head. I dig that guy's voice, too...almost like a more rock version of Rod Stewart.

Pumped up kicks cracks me up, because 'everyone' in this country is sooooo worried about their kids' wellbeing but I've heard that song played at high school soccer and football games, pro hockey, and on the telly, pro football and several college sports. And EVERY time I hear it, I start laughing because of how inappropriate it is for the setting it's played in. It has to be my favorite song of the past 5 years, minimum.

And I'm not certain that I've ever heard Roger Taylor speak. (Duran Duran drummer, right?)

Pumped up kicks cracks me up, because 'everyone' in this country is sooooo worried about their kids' wellbeing but I've heard that song played at high school soccer and football games, pro hockey, and on the telly, pro football and several college sports. And EVERY time I hear it, I start laughing because of how inappropriate it is for the setting it's played in. It has to be my favorite song of the past 5 years, minimum.

And I'm not certain that I've ever heard Roger Taylor speak. (Duran Duran drummer, right?)

I know, lol...it makes you wonder if anyone ever listens to the lyrics. At first I thought I was misinterpreting them, but then I looked up an interview with the band's lead singer and he pretty much confirmed that it was a dark song and that the lyrics were exactly what I thought they were. YOu're right, it's very inappropriate for those events!

Here ya go: Roger Taylor

I know, lol...it makes you wonder if anyone ever listens to the lyrics. At first I thought I was misinterpreting them, but then I looked up an interview with the band's lead singer and he pretty much confirmed that it was a dark song and that the lyrics were exactly what I thought they were. YOu're right, it's very inappropriate for those events!

Here ya go: Roger Taylor

D'oh, maybe 5 beers ago I'd've figured out that you were referring to Queen's drummer. (Who I have also not heard speak in an interview; but it makes more sense than the other drummer Roger Taylor. :doh::doh::doh: ) Sorry, but when I think of Queen, it's always Freddie and Brian May; Roger Taylor and John Deacon get short shrift. :wallbash:

And like I said, I love 'pumped up kicks;' it is so inappropriate for EVERYWHERE it's played.

D'oh, maybe 5 beers ago I'd've figured out that you were referring to Queen's drummer. (Who I have also not heard speak in an interview; but it makes more sense than the other drummer Roger Taylor. :doh::doh::doh: ) Sorry, but when I think of Queen, it's always Freddie and Brian May; Roger Taylor and John Deacon get short shrift. :wallbash:

And like I said, I love 'pumped up kicks;' it is so inappropriate for EVERYWHERE it's played.

:beer:

That one's on me, brother...Happy T-day :D