Willis McGahee

I was going to start a separate post on this but since there is a McGahee thread might as well put it here. With all the discussion of Gronkowski's college injury and that teams were scared off selecting him, it got me to thinking about McGahee and that McGahee might be the single worst draft pick in Bills' history. Not the biggest bust, but just the worst. Travis Henry was coming off back-to-back 1400 yard seasons (God knows he wasn't a perfect football player or human being but still); Bills still had plenty o' holes; McGahee's injury was so devastating that there was concern that his career was over before it began; and even under the best of circumstances he would miss an entire year of football.

And yet, and yet we pick him. (Next pick by Colts was Dallas Clark.)

Really, he turned out as well as could be expected. Had a couple of pretty good years. I've never seen anyone who could move the pile for an extra yard or two like McGahee. Traded him for a couple of picks. But it was an absolutely idiotic pick without need of hindsight.

I was going to start a separate post on this but since there is a McGahee thread might as well put it here. With all the discussion of Gronkowski's college injury and that teams were scared off selecting him, it got me to thinking about McGahee and that McGahee might be the single worst draft pick in Bills' history. Not the biggest bust, but just the worst. Travis Henry was coming off back-to-back 1400 yard seasons (God knows he wasn't a perfect football player or human being but still); Bills still had plenty o' holes; McGahee's injury was so devastating that there was concern that his career was over before it began; and even under the best of circumstances he would miss an entire year of football.

Really, he turned out as well as could be expected. Had a couple of pretty good years. I've never seen anyone who could move the pile for an extra yard or two like McGahee. Traded him for a couple of picks. But it was an absolutely idiotic pick without need of hindsight.

I happen to know somebody who works for the Bills. I can tell you, the logic behind picking McGahee wasn't as bad as it is portrayed. What the public didn't know, Travis Henry (one of my favorite Bills over the last 11 seasons) was considered a walking time bomb by Bills management at the time. He had many more off the field issues than fans were privy to. I am not arguing that I might not have made a different pick with McGahee, but the feeling was, he was a "once in a generation" type back, and if he panned out, it would be a steal. And, they could cut bait with Henry and his constant woes.

If the bills had kept mcgahee (still a very solid rb even if he's not particularly likable), he and fred jackson would be our RBs and the 9th pick of the 2010 draft and the 12th pick of the 2007 draft would have been spent on positions of need. Instead, we ended up with ultimately worthless mid-round picks. Food for thought.

Edited by dave mcbride

I happen to know somebody who works for the Bills. I can tell you, the logic behind picking McGahee wasn't as bad as it is portrayed. What the public didn't know, Travis Henry (one of my favorite Bills over the last 11 seasons) was considered a walking time bomb by Bills management at the time. He had many more off the field issues than fans were privy to. I am not arguing that I might not have made a different pick with McGahee, but the feeling was, he was a "once in a generation" type back, and if he panned out, it would be a steal. And, they could cut bait with Henry and his constant woes.

Yup, and Henry was also broke.

If the bills had kept mcgahee (still a very solid rb even if he's not particularly likable), he and fred jackson would be our RBs and the 9th pick of the 2010 draft and the 12th pick of the 2007 draft would have been spent on positions of need. Instead, we ended up with ultimately worthless mid-round picks. Food for thought.

What about Lynch? I'm not sure you could predict what would happen with McGahee with lynch in the pciture. Jackson might have never made the field.

Mcgahee was just on in a long line of Bills players or draft picks that had not a loyal bone in there body !! The Bills made him a first rounder & let him sit WHILE PAYING HIM to rehab & then he shows what he can do & starts bad mouthing the Bills along with Buffalo now that's a class act :thumbdown: !!

The Bills should have an all Moron team Mcgahee , Peters , Cribbs , Tom Cussino & if you think about it Kelly could have been included in that to when he refused to come to the Bills until his USFL team went belly up !!!

He had a gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttt stiff arm!