Chan Gaily Conference dtd 11/23

JTO

It will be interesting to see how Urbik does at center this week (thinking about next year) I totally disagree about your talent assessment of this line.....

Bell - When healthy plays well.....the fact that he was injuried might play to our advantage as far as keeping him....as a backup left tackle

How often do BOTH of your left tackles go down in a season?

Hairston is a good player now with what looks to be a very high season...I think he really is the LT of the future for this team....love the way he plays

Levitre is our best OL

Wood....has had the injuries but also looks to be showing as a quick healer.....I still think he is the guy at the pivot....it will however be important to keep a guard at the ready that can step in at Center which is why I hope Urbik shows well on Sunday.....Rhinehadt has shown to be a servicable guard

Why the hate for Pears....Pears has played very well all season and been durable.....I dont understand the problem here

No what the Bills need on the OL is to sign the guys they have and bring in another quality interior guy that can man both guard spots. I think we are still good here.

The problem is not the offensive line......the problem is receivers that cannot beat the jam that the defenses have started to use and guys like Donald Jones need to be replaced with guys that can take advantage of a jam at the LOS......

And of course if this defense could stop ANYBODY.....this would not be as big of a concern. It all starts with the Defense and the pass rush in particular.

I looking to them to find a good free agent lineman and CB, and draft either a top flight WR or OLB. Whichever of those they don't draft first will have to come from a lower pick.

<br />You guys read way too much into press conferences.  It's like Philly fans trying to pull relevant facts from an Andy Reid presser.  <br /><br />Professionals don't give up when things get tough, especially when future contracts, playing time and incentives are on the line.  If anything, the motivation to do well is greater at this juncture than at any other point so far.  Fitzpatrick needs to earn his deal otherwise he could be cut in theory.  Spiller needs to avoid bust-ville.  Guys like Williams, Searcy, Hairston, Aiken...want to earn their way.  If you are Nix and Gailey, you don't want to tank on a team who's owner is 90+ years old, and an ownership change could occur at any moment.  Winning is job security.  Not player development.<br /><br />On a practical note, "player development" is a major loss in revenue when selling tickets is already difficult with a team still in the playoff hunt.  You want fans buying all the new jerseys and merch, buying tickets and willingly handing money over to your business in support of the team.  <br /><br />The season is not over.<br />
there are games to be played, so the season is not over. After the patriot game, the season will be over. Playoffs are out ofn he question. Mathematically, we're still alive. If you watch this team play, playoffs are out of the question

Are you serious that you think a coach and GM would intentionally go into multiple seasons with the plan to "stay bad"? That only after 3 years of staying bad would they then attempt to lift themselves up off the mat? Really?

To carry your comparison forward a millimeter: what do you think players around the NFL think of Jim Harbaugh? He didn't take the 49ers job to lay face down on the mat for 3 years. He got to work immediately, and taking the talent on the roster, with a few free agents, etc. has turned a bunch of losers on their ear and got them winning. Do you think players that are committed to excellence would want to play for a coach like that or for an organization that tells itself that procrastinating for 3 years before doing anything is acceptable?

Here's where I land on your assertions. I don't think Gailey is at all interested in coaching a laughingstock. He knows he doesn't have a bunch more chances lining up and that he needs to win. I do think Nix believes in the plan of building exclusively through the draft, which would not be a bad plan for a small market team if only that team had the scouting department to pull it off. But, you can't build through the draft and garbage heap recycles if you whiff more than you bunt to get on base.

Ain't it nice to be guaranteed six wins a year?

Dear God pleas no "the niners did it why can't we?" arguments.

I don't think players are interested in playing for a team that isn't totally, one hundred percent committed to winning. That is why I think Buffalo has such a hard time bringing in quality players and personnel men.

As for Gailey and Nix planning on losing - I meant that they come into a situatin where winning isn't demanded until the third or fourth year, unlike other teams who would expect a winner within a few years. Here, whether we fans like it or not, a coach and GM like Nix and Gailey can come in, have 5-11 to 8-8 seasons for three years before there's any mention of a hot seat.

There is a different mentality to this team. There is a difference between a team that is capable of going out and being a serious competitor for the playoffs, and a team that doesn't have the personnel for it. Last season, for instance, there was no illusions about Buffalo being a playoff contender. So, knowing that, being realistic about it, I'd say a GM would rather have the good draft spot - whether they'll admit it or not - and, I think they wouldn't necessarily go out and lay down, but they might let their young guys get playing time, experience, building for the future, and like in our summer, here, not bring in enough serious talent and depth to deal with injuries - all signs of a team not expecting to go deep in the playoff race, but rather a team saving it's resources for a run in maybe a year or two.

If you think I'm crazy for thinking that, so be it. But I see a team that does some pretty unusual things for "expecting" to win every game, and that is how I interpret it.

Actually, the O-line has played much better than everybody expected. I think Urbik, Pears, and Reinhart are all good/average pro's. I wonder about the left tackle a little...Bell can play, but is hurt way to much (the second coming of Jonas Jennings) And, obviously, we need a backup center....although we will see, maybe Urbik can do it this weekend. And, the rookie from Clemson, he got undressed last weekend....not a believer in him at this point. So, I guess I have to agree we need at least one more quality OL guy. (I was hoping I could talk myself into disagreeing)

HORSE FREAKING CRAP....

The line was never good, Ryan Fitzpatrick made the line look way better then it was because he would get the ball out to the open receiver in 3 seconds or under!!!

Now that teams have stopped that short passing game and Fitz needs to hit his players a little deeper and he has no time to do so, not just because the line is banged up. But because that line NEVER allowed him much time on a consistent basis. ESPN reported that the Bills O line was second worst in the NFL in allowing pressure on the QB in 3 seconds!!! That stat was taken from week 5, before their great decline.

This O line this year was hap hazard from the start! Lets face facts, Dem Bell might be a good guy and an average LT, but WTF good is he if he is ALWAYS INJURED! The RT is below average and is the main reason that Buddy Nix went after Tyson Clybo in free agency!

This team needs a steady full time player at LT who can lock down the position, they currently have 2 backups on the team who are average-mediocre at best. They need a RT and perhaps a G-C back up for Wood.

Why don't you guys get that building a top O line goes hand in hand with building a winning team? Simply look back at the history of this franchise, when the team has a top line they win...PERIOD!