Pass coverage coaching (or lack thereof)

Ramius

Regardless of talent level I am firmly convinced of one thing...The Bills are the worst Coached Team on Defense in the NFL...Game Planning? I won't even go there...The fundamentals suck, they make too many mental errors, and the young players rarely look like they are improving...ever...Add to that the fact that opposing Offenses don't look like they even break a sweat as they are moving the ball drive, after drive, after drive...It's the worst Coached defense I think I've ever seen...I don't think they are a Top 5 Defense based on talent level regardless...But they certainly could be a Top 20...The Coaching is REAL bad... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Aw, shucks.

So you think with all the video of receptions and misplayed balls these DB's have generated, it never gets brought up?

I think the Db's are getting outplayed, and lose their composure while trying to keep up with the receiver.

I believe you are right. I can't imagine that it is not brought up. I just hate the idea of saying that practically every player on the Bills is below average. It is the team I root for, and I don't want to believe that the players that I have been rooting for over the past few years are just plain bad and it can't be fixed. I often wonder if players that are deemed to be below average are actually just not being used/coached/drilled correctly. People on this board scream that Edwards is terrible, and I take that to mean that his player preparation is bad as well as his game plan. Would another set of coaches fix this kind of thing, or is it truly the result of below average players?

I believe you are right. I can't imagine that it is not brought up. I just hate the idea of saying that practically every player on the Bills is below average. It is the team I root for, and I don't want to believe that the players that I have been rooting for over the past few years are just plain bad and it can't be fixed. I often wonder if players that are deemed to be below average are actually just not being used/coached/drilled correctly. People on this board scream that Edwards is terrible, and I take that to mean that his player preparation is bad as well as his game plan. Would another set of coaches fix this kind of thing, or is it truly the result of below average players?

I kind of agree. I don't think the talent level is the worst. I think it is a combination of things. First off, of course is the lack of pass rush. The other thing that gets brought up is that they aren't bumping guys at the line, which can mess with the timing. For most of the players, I think it is a lack of confidence that is leading to them questioning their instincts.

These defensive players did not get to this level without knowing how to play their position. Face it they are simply not good enough to be in the NFL. McKelvin is an absolute bust and should be cut. Finally Gailey is reaching that conclusion. Florence was not good enough for any team until he got to the Bills. Our safeties are not bad but we need to do something to make up for the CB's deficiencies.

Edwards is simply in over his head. He does not know how to coach a defense. Since our corners are getting beat time after time, line them up on the receiver, jam him and blitz your safeties or linebackers. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. We are getting beat by rookie receivers and practice squad QB's.

I want some of you to go outside right now and run a 40 yard sprint at your absolute top end speed. 30 yards into that sprint I want you to turn around, locate a small moving target in the air in less than .5 seconds, judge its trajectory and get your hands on it. And when you turn yourself around, I want to see you maintain that full speed without stumbling or losing any momentum whatsoever.

After you've done this a few times, pick yourself up off the ground, wipe all the mud and leaves off yourself and take a minute to think about what a coach could possibly tell you to make you able to perfectly execute such an intricate, athletic maneuver without any loss of speed. When you realize there is no answer to that, you'll then realize this is not a coaching issue.

God damnit! I would of had it Simon, but I left that f*ckin rake in the middle of the yard. OUCH!

GO BILLS!!!