Any Car Mechanics in the house?

Frez

I like to fix things myself.....most of the time I can.

My daughters car is a 2003 Chevy Cavalier with 91,000 miles. A few weeks ago the check engine light came on with a code of P0456 (Small Evap Leak). Here is what I've done so far to try correcting it.

1. New OEM Gas cap

2. Replaced Canister vent solenoid at the rear and checked all wires for broken or damage.

3. Did a smoke test on it with a mechanic friend. Could NOT find any leaks at all.

4. Reset the check engine light 3 times now after doing each step to only have the light return on after 40 to 60 miles of driving in the car.

I'm really stumped and not sure what I should try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and I look forward to correcting this problem. I hate being stumped!

What are my final options?

1. replace purge solenoid at front?

2. Could it be the engines PCM (Computer)?

3. Vapor Charcoal Canister?

4. Gas filler tube to the tank?

5. What about the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor?

Like I said...there were NO visible leaks when we smoke tested it. We did this test numerous times!

Did you make sure you tightened the gas cap so that it clicks a few times? When my check engine light turned on years ago, I was told to do that and wait a few days. Sure enough, the light went out and hasn't been back on since. Apparently the sensor takes a while to "reset" itself or something...

Take it to the dealer to be fixed. A man has got to know his limitations.

The fix is easy if you know exactly what to replace.

Can't fix the problem if you don't know what's wrong. Spend a hundred or so at the dealership for a diagnostic.

I had a problem with my '98 Cavalier that multiple mechanics couldn't fix. One of them told me to take it to a dealership because they have better diagnostic tools. Took it to a Chevy dealership and they couldn't figure out what's wrong either. Ended up taking it to a Cadlillac dealership to fix the problem with my Chevy

I like to fix things myself.....most of the time I can.

My daughters car is a 2003 Chevy Cavalier with 91,000 miles. A few weeks ago the check engine light came on with a code of P0456 (Small Evap Leak). Here is what I've done so far to tr

Thank you and I look forward to correcting this problem. I hate being stumped!

What are my final options?

1. replace purge solenoid at front?

2. Could it be the engines PCM (Computer)?

3. Vapor Charcoal Canister?

4. Gas filler tube to the tank?

5. What about the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor?

Like I said...there were NO visible leaks when we smoke tested it. We did this test numerous times!

A vacuum leak from a hose? Is there a PCV valve?

Frez, it's lupus. Always Lupus.

I had a problem with my '98 Cavalier that multiple mechanics couldn't fix. One of them told me to take it to a dealership because they have better diagnostic tools. Took it to a Chevy dealership and they couldn't figure out what's wrong either. Ended up taking it to a Cadlillac dealership to fix the problem with my Chevy

My 98 Cavy is kicking ass. 126k on it, gramps bought it brand new in the summer of 99 for me for a steal. It has had not one major issue, nor small. The AC finally went out last year, but other then that it's cool. I have only floored it a dozen times, and had to jump a median - literally, slamming the air damn in to the road but no damage. (Gramps was pretty much on death bed and I got the call to go - I went.)

Did you make sure you tightened the gas cap so that it clicks a few times? When my check engine light turned on years ago, I was told to do that and wait a few days. Sure enough, the light went out and hasn't been back on since. Apparently the sensor takes a while to "reset" itself or something...

Not only is the gas cap tight, but I replaced the old with a nice new OEM cap.

thanks

Can't fix the problem if you don't know what's wrong. Spend a hundred or so at the dealership for a diagnostic.

I have access to most of the diagnostic tools where I work. I'm friends with a few good mechanics too. Thing is they are not chevy certified nor do they work on these common problems all the time. We have a smoke machine that will tell you where the leak is coming from and we tried that but didn't see any leaks in the system at all. I think I have it narrowed down to the wire harness at the vent solenoid at the rear of the car.

Thanks for the reply

You missed the second part of my response -- have you waited a few days to see if the light goes off?

Fez, I replaced the cap with a new OEM and even had the code reset with automotive scanner. The check engine light still came back on. I wish it was just the gas cap this time.

thanks

Edited by Frez

You missed the second part of my response -- have you waited a few days to see if the light goes off?

You missed step 4 in his initial post:

"4. Reset the check engine light 3 times now after doing each step to only have the light return on after 40 to 60 miles of driving in the car."

That means he's cleared the code from the cars PCM memory which in turns out the light.

The light keeps coming back on because the code keeps being set.

The code keeps being set because the problem hasn't been fixed.

You missed step 4 in his initial post:

"4. Reset the check engine light 3 times now after doing each step to only have the light return on after 40 to 60 miles of driving in the car."

That means he's cleared the code from the cars PCM memory which in turns out the light.

The light keeps coming back on because the code keeps being set.

The code keeps being set because the problem hasn't been fixed.

Ahh, you're right, I didn't see that the light was being reset. My mistake! :oops:

My 98 Cavy is kicking ass.

My 98 Cav has been kicking ass too, but....

The AC Condenser needs to be replaced. This time of year I can live with it, but once it starts getting hot... :(

The cost of repairs vs the resale value doesn't really merit fixing it :cry: I love that car too

One of these days I'll have to figure out whether it makes more financial sense to trade into the dealer the car for the pittance it will take on the market or to donate it to the Save The Whales/Vets/Environment/Retards/Gays/Elderly/ElderlayGayWhaleHumpingVetHippies for the tax break

Here is some real help. Purge valve

I'm replacing the purge valve next. If that don't do it I will double check the wire harness at the rear that goes to the vent solenoid valve.

Thanks

Did you check the transmission coolant lines?

Take it to Pep Boys for a diagnosis.

/suggestions.

Thank you but...

The tranny lines have nothing to do with EVAP code.