Group plans to petition the FCC to lift all NFL blackouts

Fezmid

Blackouts are inherently unfair because not all stadiums are the same size, nor do they draw from the same population base. I've been saying for years it would be a percentage combining the two stats and creating a league-wide average.

Now, everyone, do you realize that this would hurt more then help? Many of us are in other teams markets. I am in NC and would have to watch Panthers games and miss out on much better games. Maybe if you live in Houston you'll have to watch them play Indy at home when you could have got Buffalo @ NY.

Blackouts are inherently unfair because not all stadiums are the same size, nor do they draw from the same population base. I've been saying for years it would be a percentage combining the two stats and creating a league-wide average.

Wouldn't ticket price be the thing that evens things up?

I've heard this argument a few times before. It's usually made by some politician trying to make himself sound like he's all for the fans when he knows it something that will never come about anyway. The problem I have with it I don't see any way you can legally enforce this after the fact. I could see it going to court and assume the group wins, you certainly could change the rules that from now on if you take money you can't black out the game. But with prior money a team could argue that wasn't the rules in effect when I took the money. Had that been the case I wouldn't have taken the money, I just would have moved the team instead. There are plenty of cities who signed these deals where they agreed to buy up all the left over tickets, thus guaranteeing every games a sell out. That's a simple way to fix it if those are the new rules, you take the money, the city promises to the remaining tickets, now all games are sold out so the black out rule never comes into effect and team still gets money for the stadium. Again though likely only the larger cities can afford to do this.

Does the population base matter? Do they struggle to sell out in GB, Minny, KC.....?