Honestly Depth is the problem

PNW_Bills_Fan

As fans we are always trying to find someone to blame. The quick start shows that we have some talent. In recent weeks we have shown that we don't have the depth of the great teams. With Shawn Merriman and KW going down our defense doesn't have the depth to recover. Say what you will about Merriman, he was still someone teams had to pay attention to. Our D did not get a lot of sacks early, but we were getting after the QB. As I watch the games I see a difference in the amount of pressure we are getting on the QB. On "o" our line has been hurt. We had a Third String LT and a Second string LG in the game. Now we have 2nd string LT, LG and C. This is going to affect us. I still think this team can win some games this year, but it is not the team we started with. We need more depth. This team is moving in the right direction. It just takes time to pick up something that is broke and fix it to the point that people don't noticed it has been refurbished. This is just my 2 cents.

As fans we are always trying to find someone to blame. The quick start shows that we have some talent. In recent weeks we have shown that we don't have the depth of the great teams. With Shawn Merriman and KW going down our defense doesn't have the depth to recover. Say what you will about Merriman, he was still someone teams had to pay attention to. Our D did not get a lot of sacks early, but we were getting after the QB. As I watch the games I see a difference in the amount of pressure we are getting on the QB. On "o" our line has been hurt. We had a Third String LT and a Second string LG in the game. Now we have 2nd string LT, LG and C. This is going to affect us. I still think this team can win some games this year, but it is not the team we started with. We need more depth. This team is moving in the right direction. It just takes time to pick up something that is broke and fix it to the point that people don't noticed it has been refurbished. This is just my 2 cents.

Worst excuse ever. Sorry, but it's the coaching. Every team in the league are playing backups at this point in the season. We all saw how mediocre of a team the Jets were on Thursday. Dallas is a mediocre team also. The problem is that we have another dinosaur of a head coach who's much too slow to change and adjust. Also, George Edwards? Are you serious? George Edwards wouldn't last two games if he were the DC of the Jets or Cowboys. George Edwards should be selling cars, not coaching our players who have looked more lost than I've ever seen from a Buffalo Bills team.

Our backup players are NFL players too. They're not as bad as they look. Our coaching has let this team down big time these last couple of blowout games. Chan Gailey looks like just another failed head coach in a long line of retread head coaches who are better coordinators than head coaches. We all know their names so I won't even bother listing them. I get the feeling Chan goes to sleep at 8, while the other coaches stay up till 12.

This team should have hired Perry Fewell. The NFL is a young coaches game and that trend will only be continuing.

Kyle Williams and Wood are legit losses. The rest are not as severe (some people think Merriman was a big loss, I'm not sure). The team was flat in Dallas, and it was apparent after about five minutes that the game would be ugly. I keep hoping that the play calling will get more innovative, and if they just run the standard two plays against Miami (handoff to Fred, or go five wide and dump off a short pass) I will be seriously disappointed.

Kyle Williams and Wood are legit losses. The rest are not as severe (some people think Merriman was a big loss, I'm not sure). The team was flat in Dallas, and it was apparent after about five minutes that the game would be ugly. I keep hoping that the play calling will get more innovative, and if they just run the standard two plays against Miami (handoff to Fred, or go five wide and dump off a short pass) I will be seriously disappointed.

The very fact that the Bills are running a two play offense should tell you that the Dallas game was about coaching and not a "they were flat" issue.

If they don't give Spiller at least 10 touches today I'm going to blow a gasket.

Worst excuse ever. Sorry, but it's the coaching. Every team in the league are playing backups at this point in the season. We all saw how mediocre of a team the Jets were on Thursday. Dallas is a mediocre team also. The problem is that we have another dinosaur of a head coach who's much too slow to change and adjust. Also, George Edwards? Are you serious? George Edwards wouldn't last two games if he were the DC of the Jets or Cowboys. George Edwards should be selling cars, not coaching our players who have looked more lost than I've ever seen from a Buffalo Bills team.

And, friends, that's saying something!!!

It'll be interesting to see how Levitre, maybe our best but kinda small OL, handles center across from a 360-pound monster. Hope he does well, but the poor guy has been shuffled around like a girl in a gang-bang.

Interesting simile....

The very fact that the Bills are running a two play offense should tell you that the Dallas game was about coaching and not a "they were flat" issue.

If they don't give Spiller at least 10 touches today I'm going to blow a gasket.

I swear to God, if we throw deep on a 4th & 1 or 3rd & 2 today, I'm going to go ape-stevestojan.

Our backup players are NFL players too. They're not as bad as they look. Our coaching has let this team down big time these last couple of blowout games. Chan Gailey looks like just another failed head coach in a long line of retread head coaches who are better coordinators than head coaches. We all know their names so I won't even bother listing them. I get the feeling Chan goes to sleep at 8, while the other coaches stay up till 12.

This team should have hired Perry Fewell. The NFL is a young coaches game and that trend will only be continuing.

I agree with you here. The 2nd and 3rd string players were selected becuase they could play and were NFL caliber material. If they weren't, they'd be selling insurance on Edward's used car lot. The coaches have to be creative enough to be able to ajust the scheme on the fly and used the players they have to their utmost potential. None of this, "Well player X isn't good in coverage, so we can't blitz and leave him on an island" crap. Edwards and Gailey both are scared to take the chance and let the players play and learn. I'm going to the San Diego game and now I'm wishing it was earlier in the season. I was hoping to go knowing that the Bills would have something to play for. But the way they've been playing the past month, I'm not so sure they will.

OK. So ask yourself why Geoff Hangartner is depth for the Panthers.

Would that be the Panthers team that is 20th for points scored and 17th for sacks given up? :unsure:

Not sure I see your point, Sis?

I swear to God, if we throw deep on a 4th & 1 or 3rd & 2 today, I'm going to go ape-stevestojan.

I agree. We're at the point of needing a SkunkPost episode of Buffalo Bills Homicide Hotline on this theme.

Would that be the Panthers team that is 20th for points scored and 17th for sacks given up? :unsure:

Not sure I see your point, Sis?

I don't see your point at all. Are all those sacks on Hangartner? When was the last time Hangartner scored points?

My point is pretty obvious. The front office dumps veterans every year that could be serviceable depth rather than pay them. The Bills routinely go into seasons with the apparent "team building" thought process that being 0 to 1 players deep at a position is "getting 'er done". Then, every year, like clockwork, players go down with injuries and the homers trot out the "whoa is us, if we didn't have an injury this year" excuses.

Connect the dots: instead of striving to be $30M under the cap, a team can spend some money wisely on depth that isn't green as freshly mowed grass in springtime. Do they had out trophies for having the most street free agents and UDFAs on a team? Having competition on the roster is, in fact, not a bad thing at all assuming your aim is to win championships. Think the Green Bay Packers lamented not cutting a few veterans, say AJ Hawk, last year to make their bottom line look a little better?

You cant replace your 2 best players, The problem is a lack of overall talent. Our defensive coordinator is bad but you still cant polish a turd.

There are many problems.

The lack of depth is obviously on Buddy Nix.

Buddy has done a real nice job scooping up scrap heap starters like Pears, Urbik, Chandler, Rhinehart but they have fared terribly in the offseason unrestricted free agent market in his two chances at it and the drafts haven't produced as needed.

If this regime doesn't make it, it will likely be because of the drafts. Too much reaching and overdrafting for need. They would have been better off squandering a few bucks in free agency to fill needs and actually drafting talent that warranted the selection.

Spiller was a ridiculous reach for perceived need. Could he become that game-breaker? Maybe, but RB's have always a been dime-a-dozen. Even when the presence of a good one was actually reflected in the win column, which it doesn't today.

Troupe and Carrington were also poor value, drafted for need. Dareus was a bit of a no-brainer dictated by such an early selection but also a definite need because Troupe and Carrington showed so little promise in the year before. Aaron Williams was a desperate reach, IMO. Shepard may end up being a full time starter someday but he was poor value dictated by need.

The net result in two drafts they have netted one starter out of 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. For a talent bereft team that is a killer.

When the Bills had their fast start, Buddy said his biggest concern was lack of depth. I agree. Good teams, like the Pack, are better able to manage injury to starting players. That was obvious last year. I doubt that our strength & conditioning coaches are at fault. Almost every team loses key players for all or a substantial part of the year. Having a supporting cast that is ready and able to play makes all the difference. We are competitive when fully healthy. As a young/rebuilding team, not so much when we are not.

When the Bills had their fast start, Buddy said his biggest concern was lack of depth. I agree. Good teams, like the Pack, are better able to manage injury to starting players. That was obvious last year. I doubt that our strength & conditioning coaches are at fault. Almost every team loses key players for all or a substantial part of the year. Having a supporting cast that is ready and able to play makes all the difference. We are competitive when fully healthy. As a young/rebuilding team, not so much when we are not.

At the rate Buddy is adding talent to this roster it will take about 5 years to get any depth. You just can't be that passive in today's NFL. Their choice to shun free agency and trades has lead them to make desperate decisions on draft day.