Question for any coaches

Buffaloed in Pa

My youngest son Kody who at 17 weighing 165 lbs at 5-10 .He just benched 350 and also runs in the 4.5 forty range. I held him out of football this year because of politics at his high school this year. He gets good grades in school also. Is it too hard to walk on in say Div 2 football.

My youngest son Kody who at 17 weighing 165 lbs at 5-10 .He just benched 350 and also runs in the 4.5 forty range. I held him out of football this year because of politics at his high school this year. He gets good grades in school also. Is it too hard to walk on in say Div 2 football.

You held him out of football because of school poltics? How does he feel about that?

If you were my dad I would have kicked your ass. :devil:

agreed with Chef, thats "your bad" for holding your kid out due to YOUR beef with schools politics, as a coach I run into things like this frequently and its a shame...not trying to tell you how to raise your kid, but dam man, let your kid experience these things for himself rather than you running his life and deciding for him

ok off my soap box...your kid sounds like kind of a TANK, benching 350??? seriously??? and runs a 4.5?? even more of a shame the kid couldnt get scouted

its not impossible to walk onto any program, div 2 or even divison 1...you just talk to the coach and attend the tryouts/practices and obviously have to be skilled enough at your partciular position of choice, or be a helluva athlete (which by your description, your kid is an athlete)- and I have a few friends who walked on and were granted scholarships later

good grades and other sports help as well

You held him out of football because of school poltics? How does he feel about that?

If you were my dad I would have kicked your ass. :devil:

The coach at his school made the decision . His next door neighbor and also who owns a chain of lumber stores and a football classic named after his company , his son was set to be the star. Putting my son on scout team running back and telling the 1st team D the plays . Pretty much getting killed play after play with no line. All this while the neighbor kid gets a starting spot as a freshman.. Too many other things to tell.Oh yeah the nighbor kid never ran one scout play. Small town USA

D2?? Screw that...go D1...Penn St. is probably desperate for players....too soon???

D2?? Screw that...go D1...Penn St. is probably desperate for players....too soon???

Never too soon Pooj...never too soon. :thumbsup:

The coach at his school made the decision . His next door neighbor and also who owns a chain of lumber stores and a football classic named after his company , his son was set to be the star. Putting my son on scout team running back and telling the 1st team D the plays . Pretty much getting killed play after play with no line. All this while the neighbor kid gets a starting spot as a freshman.. Too many other things to tell.Oh yeah the nighbor kid never ran one scout play. Small town USA

You never answered my second question. This ain't about you dad.

Not that it would've been ideal but if your son has that sort of physical skill set, couldn't he have started at a different position and then switched to RB once he got scouted? Seems better than not playing at all.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Not that it would've been ideal but if your son has that sort of physical skill set, couldn't he have started at a different position and then switched to RB once he got scouted? Seems better than not playing at all.

We already went this way with my older son who also benched over 350 at 190 and 6 ft ,They made him play L.T and De . When invited to Kent state for a visit ,was asked if the coach didn`t like him . This was for the positions they made him play. Yeah that year the principles kid got to play F.B. The head coach is also the Vice principle.In practice his senior yr he said he was quitting if he didn`t get his shot at F.B. After running for t.d. after T.D. the D. coach told him if they won`t tackle you keep running anyway. 1 week before the season back on the line he went . Principles kid got the position. Oh yeah this coach also bragged about being buddies with Sandusky.Got numerous awards for line play .But was too small to play it at colledge level. The kicker was one the principles kid challenged him at his weight class and my son headlocked him to his back in 20 seconds for the pin. No where to hide in that sport.