PFW - The Bills' cornerback woes

dave mcbride

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stats for our starting CBs are fairly awful (and it's not all the pass rush):

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/18/bills-cbs-get-some-blame-for-struggling-d

certainly we need 1-2 corners.

but again the consistently good teams/organizations are built from the inside out.

we need linemen-bot O and D and LBs first. We have zero depth on the D line--if Dareus or williams go down we are awful there. We have one legit LB and the rest a bunch of scrubs. We need a tackle and more depth on the O line.

Yes we could use CBs and a WR......but we need those way less than interior players.

We need the best blocker or playmaker we can find. We don't have a single player who fits that description (unless you are a complete homer)

This coming Draft may very well be loaded with WR talent...Plus there are some nice UFA WR's that will be available...I honestly think much of our Defensive woes (outside of a Pass Rusher) will be addressed by a Coaching change on that side of the ball...I'm sure The Bills will look to add a UFA or two on Defense as well...Anyway...I'm beginning to believe more and more that a WR will be Drafted by Buffalo in one of the 1st two Rounds...It's a massive need, and at this point it's easier to try and bring the Offensive side to Playoff caliber...If The Bills can land a play-making WR while re-signing Stevie, and just get the Defense to be respectable, they should be right in the chase... B-)

This coming Draft may very well be loaded with WR talent...Plus there are some nice UFA WR's that will be available...I honestly think much of our Defensive woes (outside of a Pass Rusher) will be addressed by a Coaching change on that side of the ball...I'm sure The Bills will look to add a UFA or two on Defense as well...Anyway...I'm beginning to believe more and more that a WR will be Drafted by Buffalo in one of the 1st two Rounds...It's a massive need, and at this point it's easier to try and bring the Offensive side to Playoff caliber...If The Bills can land a play-making WR while re-signing Stevie, and just get the Defense to be respectable, they should be right in the chase... B-)

If we don't have a pass rush or a cover guy, why change coaches? What can a coach do in that situation- its like trying to drain the water out of a boat by poking holes in it.....

double thumbs up.....McKelvin would be a beast if he played for a team with a pass rush...

I agree with the need for more pass rush but disagree on McKelvin.

McKelvin lacks the ball skills and smarts to be an effective CB. He is another draft bust for the Bills IMO.

If I had my choice of the CB's vs pass rushers in RD#1 and 2, I'd pick the pass rusher in RD#1...if his name is Courtney Upshaw (read what I said about him when the DraftTek computer picked him for us) or Brandon Jenkins.

OLB34 in the middle of RD#2 looks lean right now, while CB in RD#2 looks good. CB's from the simulator in RD#2:

Chase Minnifield Virginia

Johnthan Banks Mississippi State

Coryell Judie Texas A&M

Stephon Gilmore is there too, but I don't like his lack of aggressiveness, takes bad angles, not as "football fast" as Minnifield, Banks, or Judie.

We have glaring needs, we are 5-4, we have one of the best RBs in football, the team is quite young at important positions, yet we are 1 game from first place into week 11, have a huge win over New England, and did it without a healthy KW all season. We are coming back.

Well done. With a few difference makers, things will change quickly.

Wait for WR in this draft...it's deep. I think there are some gems like Stevie was. Who knows where they'll end up by April but I like these 7 guys if they end up RD3 or later:

, Illinois

, Baylor

, Stanford

, WVU

, Washington

, Arkansas

, VaTech

If we don't have a pass rush or a cover guy, why change coaches? What can a coach do in that situation- its like trying to drain the water out of a boat by poking holes in it.....

You don't think Coaching has anything to do with this Defense being flat out terrible 2 years in a row dispite 11 Draft Picks on Defense including the #3 Overall DT?...You don't think Coaching has anything to do with the fact that most Offenses look like they have been studying our Playbook more than our Defense has?...You don't think Coaching has much to do with Sanchez and Romo...2 average NFL QB's, carving us up like a Thanksgiving Turkey? You don't think Coaching has anything to do with the fact that we Draft seemingly good Prospects and they continuosly underachieve? You think Edwards is an NFL calibre Defensive Coordinator? :blink:

Look...Everyone knows the Bills need more Pass Rush and a CB...But there is not an NFL Defense that does not have a need or two...This Bills Defense is flat out terrible despite the fact that they have some talent...Coaching and Player development is severely lacking on this Team and it's painstakingly obvious...Edwards could not Coach his way out of a paper bag...He's brutal and every Offensive Coordinator in the NFL would tell you if they could...Edwards is the equivalent of a bye-week forfeit for most Offensive Coordinators that face him...He makes Perry Fewell look like Buddy Ryan in his Bears days...Edwards sucks... B-)

Wait for WR in this draft...it's deep. I think there are some gems like Stevie was. Who knows where they'll end up by April but I like these 7 guys if they end up RD3 or later:

, Illinois

, Baylor

, Stanford

, WVU

, Washington

, Arkansas

, VaTech

Where is the Kid from Notre Dame projected to go? B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

You don't think Coaching has anything to do with this Defense being flat out terrible 2 years in a row dispite 11 Draft Picks on Defense including the #3 Overall DT?...You don't think Coaching has anything to do with the fact that most Offenses look like they have been studying our Playbook more than our Defense has?...You don't think Coaching has much to do with Sanchez and Romo...2 average NFL QB's, carving us up like a Thanksgiving Turkey? You don't think Coaching has anything to do with the fact that we Draft seemingly good Prospects and they continuosly underachieve? You think Edwards is an NFL calibre Defensive Coordinator? :blink:

Look...Everyone knows the Bills need more Pass Rush and a CB...But there is not an NFL Defense that does not have a need or two...This Bills Defense is flat out terrible despite the fact that they have some talent...Coaching and Player development is severely lacking on this Team and it's painstakingly obvious...Edwards could not Coach his way out of a paper bag...He's brutal and every Offensive Coordinate in the NFL would tell you if they could...Edwards is the equivalent of a bye-week forfeit for most Offensive Coordinators that face him...He makes Perry Fewell look like Buddy Ryan in his Bears days...Edwards sucks... B-)

What I know is that we had an undersized 4-3 under our previous staff, and our current staff believes in running a 3-4 defense. We are in transition and don't have a lot of good players yet. The secondary is mush, as the high drafted players haven't panned out. The linebackers are terrible and aside from Dareus and Williams (who hasn't played much), the line isn't good. If you don't blitz, there is no pass rush. If you do blitz, there is no coverage.

, Illinois

, Baylor

, Stanford

, WVU

, Washington

, Arkansas

, VaTech

BTW Astro...I gotta say...I may not agree with everything you write everytime, but you're johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to Draft info around here...And for that reason alone you are one of my favorite Posters...

Thanks!!! B-)

What I know is that we had an undersized 4-3 under our previous staff, and our current staff believes in running a 3-4 defense. We are in transition and don't have a lot of good players yet. The secondary is mush, as the high drafted players haven't panned out. The linebackers are terrible and aside from Dareus and Williams (who hasn't played much), the line isn't good. If you don't blitz, there is no pass rush. If you do blitz, there is no coverage.

The Bills will continue to add talent on Defense...And they'll get a Coach that will max out that talent...Can't give the 4-3, 3-4 excuse...Look what Wade is doing in Houston...From 30 to 1 in one Year...Coaching is HUGE!!! Talent is too, but Coaching is HUGE... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

BTW Astro...I gotta say...I may not agree with everything you write everytime, but you're johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to Draft info around here...And for that reason alone you are one of my favorite Posters...

Thanks!!! B-)

The Bills will continue to add talent on Defense...And they'll get a Coach that will max out that talent...Can't give the 4-3, 3-4 excuse...Look what Wade is doing in Houston...From 30 to 1 in one Year...Coaching is HUGE!!! Talent is too, but Coaching is HUGE... B-)

Wade is a hall of fame defensive coordinator, and he isn't working with LBs that I can't even name. I don't care if we go offense or defense- we need playmakers, cause there isn't a single one on the team!

I think the offense can vastly improve with the addition of ONE player, a high quality wide receiver (the O-line needs depth, something they don't need to spend a high draft pick to get). The defense needs a couple high quality guys (OLB and CB), plus some upgrade in the overall front 7 talent.

I'm not sure what the draft answer is, but between those 3 positions (WR,CB,OLB) I hope they choose the best talent.

The fact that our coaches are scared sh*tless to blitz more and have our CBs singled up more often as a result should be proof enough to even the casual observer that our pass defense problems are about much more than pass rush. Our CBs are below average.

GO BILLS!!!

That's why our moron D-coach needs to zone blitz, wish Labeu never left we should have made him the DC instead of letting him walk.

Wade is a hall of fame defensive coordinator, and he isn't working with LBs that I can't even name. I don't care if we go offense or defense- we need playmakers, cause there isn't a single one on the team!

I agree The Bills need more playmakers...But outside of a few NFL teams everyone is in that boat...It's what you do with the talent you're given...Before Gailey got here who would have thought Stevie Johnson would even be considered an NFL #1 WR? David Nelson was undrafted and now he's making plays on most Sundays...Chandler was cut by SD and Dallas...It's what you get out of what you've got...Then you add when you can...

The Bills are not without talent, heck even playmakers on Defense...Granted there is a need for more (especially Pass Rushers), but there's not many DC's in the league who would not love to have George Wilson, Dareus...heck even Carrington and Nick Barnett...Barnett said it yesterday, "We have talent, no one can say we don't. We've got guys who can run with any guys, jump with any guys, hit any guys..." So right now, as the Bills stand today, their #1 Need on Defense is a Coach who can hang, game-plan, and sometimes outsmart opposing Offenses...And Edwards has proven he can't get that job done...After 11 Draft Picks over 2 years this Defense is actually statistically WORSE than last year...WORSE! How is that even possible?...I'll tell you how...Terrible Coaching...That's how...

I'm not saying The Bills don't have talent problems on D...I'm not saying injuries and the lack of an off-season are not factors...But when you look at a Team like Houston...A Team who had no off-season as well AND switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4...It's hard to make excuses when all Bills Fans were hoping for was an average NFL Defense...Can you imagine how much better this Team would be overall if The Bills simply had the 16th ranked Defense? And I firmly believe a quality NFL Defensive Coordinator could take this Bills talent and produce an average Defense...So Edwards has GOT to go...He sucks and he's greatly over-matched as far as x's and o's, along with game-plans, are concerned...Not to mention Edwards and his Staff can't develop a young player to save their lives...At least that's my take on it... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

The stats for our starting CBs are fairly awful (and it's not all the pass rush):

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/18/bills-cbs-get-some-blame-for-struggling-d

Defensive Needs in order:

1. Defensive Coordinator......the talent on this D is not great, but the coordination is probably the league's worst. See what Houston did adding Wade Phillips. Worst-to-first type of defensive improvement. They were WORSE than us last year. We lost Kyle Williams but they are without Mario Williams this year.

2. Pass Rusher......it's a 3-4 so that means an OLB

3. Pass Rusher......both strong and weak are weak in this LB corps

4.ILB......It's a 3-4, the LB's are the playmakers

5 Cornerback.......the CB's on this team are not shutdown, but they don't have to be. If a Revis is there in the middle of the first round.....yeah, but nobody knew Revis was going to be Revis. McKelvin was supposed to be Revis. Aaron Williams was an early second round pick in a good draft. The Bills need to eventually learn the lesson that DB's are the ICING on the cake, not the cake.

Where is the Kid from Notre Dame projected to go? B-)

Brandon Jenkins to the Bills at RD1#18, Michael Floyd to the Bears at #19.

I'd still take Jenkins given our OLB needs PLUS the availability of good WR's through RD6.

1 18 Buffalo Brandon Jenkins OLB34 Florida State P1

1 19 Chicago Michael Floyd WRF Notre Dame P2