PFW - The Bills' cornerback woes

dave mcbride

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that our coaches are scared sh*tless to blitz more and have our CBs singled up more often as a result should be proof enough to even the casual observer that our pass defense problems are about much more than pass rush. Our CBs are below average.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't mind drafting nothing but defense with 1 good offensive lineman somewhere in the top 3 rounds. We tend to find great WRs as UDFA. But a pass rusher and cornerbacks are the teams biggest need.

I wouldn't call them great recievers. Nelson is pretty good for how we use him in the redzone, but jones is really not that good. He is good for a UFA, but we either need him to develop a lot, or we need to replace him with a better talent.

The fact that our coaches are scared sh*tless to blitz more and have our CBs singled up more often as a result should be proof enough to even the casual observer that our pass defense problems are about much more than pass rush. Our CBs are below average.

GO BILLS!!!

Please explain this further as I don't understand, wouldn't them not blitzing leave safety help for our corners? Leaving them not singled up.

The best cornerback in the NFL is a legit pass rushing DE/OLB. Until we get that, it doesn't matter who is out at CB.

This is exactly the Bills problem. They are unable to get sustained pressure with just 4 rushers and have been largely ineffective with the blitz as well. The last two games in particular, Sanchez and Romo have literally had all day to stand back there and wiat for the recivers to open. They always will given enough time, against any secondary. In games where the Bills have had pressure, not necesssarily sacks, the secondary has performed, as the interception total would indicate.

Please explain this further as I don't understand, wouldn't them not blitzing leave safety help for our corners? Leaving them not singled up.

I think that's what I said in my post. Yes, not blitzing means more help for your corners who are a liability in man coverage. But we can't sustain pressure simply by rushing four and the QB and receivers have all day to find the vacant areas in our zone coverages. Still, that's preferable to being so vulnerable to the big plays over the top. Good QBs have taken advantage all season long.

GO BILLS!!!

This is exactly the Bills problem. They are unable to get sustained pressure with just 4 rushers and have been largely ineffective with the blitz as well. The last two games in particular, Sanchez and Romo have literally had all day to stand back there and wiat for the recivers to open. They always will given enough time, against any secondary. In games where the Bills have had pressure, not necesssarily sacks, the secondary has performed, as the interception total would indicate.

Yep. It's a "pick your poison" choice by the defensive coaches. Playing the percentages, it's better to make an offense take yards in chunks vs. giving up the big play all at once. Better chance for turnovers. I fully understand why we can't dial up exotic blitz packages more often. Especially against better QBs. Hell, even average QBs. We've had success against a lousy QB against the 'Skins. And a little against Cassel who was forced to play catchup and become one-dimensional. But that's it.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that's what I said in my post. Yes, not blitzing means more help for your corners who are a liability in man coverage. But we can't sustain pressure simply by rushing four and the QB and receivers have all day to find the vacant areas in our zone coverages. Still, that's preferable to being so vulnerable to the big plays over the top. Good QBs have taken advantage all season long.

Sorry, maybe I misread. I agree, their lack of ability to get to the QB has almost turned their defense into a Dick Jauron-esque play coverage and hope the other team makes a mistake.

The article points out that the CBs aren't getting the INTs. They have three total all season, which averaged out equals less than six for the full season. That's not good.

Did I just hear a large explosion on east Long Island?

:lol:

Why do you think I posted this??

The best cornerback in the NFL is a legit pass rushing DE/OLB. Until we get that, it doesn't matter who is out at CB.

How anyone who has been watching and caring about this team could disagree with this is way beyond my comprehension.

Seriously, you said it all. We either stay within the realm of the Levy/Jauron idiocy or we don't.

More pass rush and more blocking will take this team to the playoffs. To use our best resources on the secondary will keep us at a 6-10/8-8 level.

Draft the best players. Fill in leftover holes with free agents. Reaching with picks has killed this franchise for years. There are a couple of positions they might wanna pass on, but they have to collect more talent. Do you want the 4th best OLB, or the 2nd best DE? Or the 4th best CB over the 2nd best LT?

Edited by Matthews' Bag