I need to rant

plenzmd1

I sell enterprise software for a living..been doing it for 25 years. The last 10 have increasingly been difficult to deal with sales cycles, as you can just not trust anyone anymore. I know most buyers like to think we are dirty, low down, pond scum, say anything to make the sale people, but reality is just the opposite. I would think the # of salespeople who misrepresent or over sell capabilities is less than 5%. Are mistakes made in understanding requirements etc??? yes, but intentional misrepresentation is extremely low. To much time spent with implementation headaches means less time focusing on new customers..not a good way to make a living.

OTOH, I would say I am lied to in at least 50% of the sales cycles in which I am involved. I guess it is a reflection of the direction our society has taken, and it is troubling to say the least. I am one of the last true believers in the goodness of human nature I believe, and each and every time this happens I get a little more disappointed.Plenty of times I am still winning the business. The majority of times if the people I am dealing had been open and honest throughout the sales cycle, they might have been able to drive more favorable terms/pricing/concessions etc. Even through all that,I still trust people, and take them at their word, and am the living example of "you fugged up, you trusted me"

It is no wonder we have to have legal agreements in place to even begin discussions anymore on a business to business nature, none of us trust each :( .

Rant over...be nice to your salespeople out there :thumbsup:

The issue is pervasive all over ... I frequently catch people lying on resumes ... about stupid stuff to boot. 85% of the time if they were honest it would not be an issue. The other 15% are just going to get caught trying to do a job they are not qualified to do.

I sell enterprise software for a living..been doing it for 25 years. The last 10 have increasingly been difficult to deal with sales cycles, as you can just not trust anyone anymore. I know most buyers like to think we are dirty, low down, pond scum, say anything to make the sale people, but reality is just the opposite. I would think the # of salespeople who misrepresent or over sell capabilities is less than 5%. Are mistakes made in understanding requirements etc??? yes, but intentional misrepresentation is extremely low. To much time spent with implementation headaches means less time focusing on new customers..not a good way to make a living.

OTOH, I would say I am lied to in at least 50% of the sales cycles in which I am involved. I guess it is a reflection of the direction our society has taken, and it is troubling to say the least. I am one of the last true believers in the goodness of human nature I believe, and each and every time this happens I get a little more disappointed.Plenty of times I am still winning the business. The majority of times if the people I am dealing had been open and honest throughout the sales cycle, they might have been able to drive more favorable terms/pricing/concessions etc. Even through all that,I still trust people, and take them at their word, and am the living example of "you fugged up, you trusted me"

It is no wonder we have to have legal agreements in place to even begin discussions anymore on a business to business nature, none of us trust each :( .

That's funny...I develop enterprise software, and get so many new requirements from "But I told the customer we can do that!", that I figure only 5% of salesmen DON'T oversell the product.

Interesting, the difference in perspective.

Wait a minute here...you mean you're not dirty, low down pond scum? Who knew

:nana:

The issue is pervasive all over ... I frequently catch people lying on resumes ... about stupid stuff to boot. 85% of the time if they were honest it would not be an issue. The other 15% are just going to get caught trying to do a job they are not qualified to do.

So I should take off that bit about being the forgotten third co-founder of Apple?

I sell insurance. I can't tell you how often people lie about their health to me, then when it comes to application time all of the sudden they have RA or had a brain tumor two years ago or magically developed COPD.

Then I have to tell them, "hey look. If you hadn't been a total ASS and told me your health was bad, we wouldn't have wasted YOUR time with this." To which the usual response is something like "Hey, other than using that walker, I'm in perfect health!"

:wallbash:

Edited by joesixpack

That's funny...I develop enterprise software, and get so many new requirements from "But I told the customer we can do that!", that I figure only 5% of salesmen DON'T oversell the product.

Interesting, the difference in perspective.

That is..again maybe its me and doing it so long...can't take the all the bitchin if something I promised not delivered..I no sellee road map items..much to my bank account detriment sometimes :pirate:

Wait a minute here...you mean you're not dirty, low down pond scum? Who knew

:nana:

Well, at least not for the way i conduct business..now in other areas?????