Condiment Discussion

ajzepp

I've pretty much been a Hellmann's - Heinz - French's guy my whole life. But a few weeks ago a friend of mine and I were having some burgers and I noticed that she had some other weird looking mustard in the fridge. It was Plochmans yellow (www.plochman.com). I didn't really give it much thought...until I took a bite. I thought it was ridiculous that I was enjoying a basic yellow mustard this much. It was delicious! It just got me thinking about how much stuff there is in the condiment aisle at the grocery store, and how rarely I've ever given notice.

The only other time recently I found something new that I loved was when I was introduced to Remoulade sauce. This stuff is amazing, and I keep it around for whenver I fire up some shrimp poboys.

I'm curious what other stuff you guys use that might be worth trying? Are you guys the basic Heinz/Hellmann's/French's type or have you ventured out and found some other great products? I know there are lots of folks with amazing taste in food on this site, so hoping you guys bring some solid suggestions!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pretty much been a Hellmann's - Heinz - French's guy my whole life. But a few weeks ago a friend of mine and I were having some burgers and I noticed that she had some other weird looking mustard in the fridge. It was Plochmans yellow (www.plochman.com). I didn't really give it much thought...until I took a bite. I thought it was ridiculous that I was enjoying a basic yellow mustard this much. It was delicious! It just got me thinking about how much stuff there is in the condiment aisle at the grocery store, and how rarely I've ever given notice.

The only other time recently I found something new that I loved was when I was introduced to Remoulade sauce. This stuff is amazing, and I keep it around for whenver I fire up some shrimp poboys.

I'm curious what other stuff you guys use that might be worth trying? Are you guys the basic Heinz/Hellmann's/French's type or have you ventured out and found some other great products? I know there are lots of folks with amazing taste in food on this site, so hoping you guys bring some solid suggestions!

A condiment thread? Really? :lol:

I use Plochman's the rare times I use mustard.

To steer this back to football -- you should buy some Andre Reed Over the Middle (OTM) sauce: http://www.andrereedotm.com/

It's basically BBQ sauce but it's really good. I've taken to using this on burgers instead of ketchup/mustard.

A condiment thread? Really? :lol:

I use Plochman's the rare times I use mustard.

To steer this back to football -- you should buy some Andre Reed Over the Middle (OTM) sauce: http://www.andrereedotm.com/

It's basically BBQ sauce but it's really good. I've taken to using this on burgers instead of ketchup/mustard.

I didn't say I was proud of it :P

You been usin' Plochmans all this time and didn't tell me about it??

Salt and pepper.

You know,I admit I've completely underestimated the power of salt and pepper my whole life. You watch shows with these celeb chefs like Ramsay or that bodybuilder guy who does the Restaurant Impossible show, and they berate the HELL out of people for not using salt and pepper, particularly on steaks and burgers. I've tried to get better with it, particularly when I fire up the Foreman, and it does make a difference for sure.

Horseradish is one of the most under appreciated condiments IMO.

I believe it. What are some things you'd be most likely to dab some horseradish on?

You know,I admit I've completely underestimated the power of salt and pepper my whole life. You watch shows with these celeb chefs like Ramsay or that bodybuilder guy who does the Restaurant Impossible show, and they berate the HELL out of people for not using salt and pepper, particularly on steaks and burgers. I've tried to get better with it, particularly when I fire up the Foreman, and it does make a difference for sure.

Salt = the wonder ingredient. A pinch of it in a chocolate dessert is amazing.

Regarding pepper. I only use fresh ground pepper in my pepper mill.

While counter to popular choice I like ketchup and mustard on my onion rings.

I think I saw on a TV show or something where someone put a pinch of salt in their cola and that made it taste better. Not sure if that's true or not.

I think I saw on a TV show or something where someone put a pinch of salt in their cola and that made it taste better. Not sure if that's true or not.

When we were kids hanging out at the local gas station (yes I grew up in Mayberry) the local old farts used to tell us if we put beer nuts in our cokes we'd get a "stiffy". :lol:

vinegar on my fries is a godly combination. But I particularly enjoy Heinz jalapeno ketchup myself. Put that stuff on anything and it adds some real flavor.

Does anyone else prefer room temperature ketchup over cold ketchup? It just has a completely different flavor.

I don't undertand people that put ketchup on their fries. A potato (see Thanksgiving side dish thread) is so good on it's own.

And vinegar huh? Are you Belgian?

I don't undertand people that put ketchup on their fries. A potato (see Thanksgiving side dish thread) is so good on it's own.

And vinegar huh? Are you Belgian?

No, but I live in Lockport NY, and one of our staples is a place called Reids Drive Thru (Which isn't an actual drive thru, but don't question it). If you've ever been, they have dozens of bottles of vinegar for your fries. I grew up with it, and it is amazing. Try it sometime, but make sure the vinegar is room temperature, otherwise you just get cold soggy fries.

Edited by Buff_bills4ever

No, but I live in Lockport NY, and one of our staples is a place called Reids Drive Thru (Which isn't an actual drive thru, but don't question it). If you've ever been, they have dozens of bottles of vinegar for your fries. I grew up with it, and it is amazing. Try it sometime, but make sure the vinegar is room temperature, otherwise you just get cold soggy fries.

Love me some malt vinegar on fries. Anybody who likes salt & vinegar chips should give it a try.