Joe Frazier has passed

bbb

I don't see another thread on this, but if there is one just put this into that one please.

I'm not going to link to anything about his death. I'm sure you've all seen it, but instead to this article that Tim Graham wrote on the 30th anniversary of the Thrilla in Manila.

Slow murder

Sad news. Philadelphia never embraced Joe, erecting a statue for a fictitious fighter, slighting one of the greatest accomplishments and characters this city has ever seen.

I saw him a couple of times within the past year. The first, was in a hotel elevator at 3am in the city. The second was on Forbidden Drive, which is very popular with jogging/cycling/walking enthusiasts. I was told afterwards that Joe still ran 10 miles/day and that that part of Philly, was one of his favorite parts of the city.

RIP Joe, one of the all-time greats. Best ever Miller Lite commercial too.

Been seeing and hearing this alot the last couple days. I don't think so. Unlike Ali, Joe had only a handful of Title defenses (4, I think) with Ali being one of them. After Foreman bounced him around the ring for a couple rounds, Joe never wore the Belt again.

Since when Isn't THAT the mark of an 'All-Time Great'. Schmelling, Tunney, Baer, Marciano? I think they'd be rolling in their graves hearing this talk about Frazier.

Been seeing and hearing this alot the last couple days. I don't think so. Unlike Ali, Joe had only a handful of Title defenses (4, I think) with Ali being one of them. After Foreman bounced him around the ring for a couple rounds, Joe never wore the Belt again.

Since when Isn't THAT the mark of an 'All-Time Great'. Schmelling, Tunney, Baer, Marciano? I think they'd be rolling in their graves hearing this talk about Frazier.

I was really really surprised to see that he had only 4 title defenses. He was the champ when I first knew boxing when I was 8 and had it until I was 10 or 11, so at that age, it seemed like he had it forever! I honestly thought he might break Joe Louis' 12 year record! So strange how time is warped depending on your age.

HBO is running their “Thrilla In Manila” Documentary from a few years ago, told from Fraziers POV about his history with Ali. Pretty good stuff about their incredible fights, complex relationship and the lingering bitterness that never ended for Frazier.

HBO is running their “Thrilla In Manila” Documentary from a few years ago, told from Fraziers POV about his history with Ali. Pretty good stuff about their incredible fights, complex relationship and the lingering bitterness that never ended for Frazier.

Thanks - I set my DVR. Is their footage of the fight?

Thanks - I set my DVR. Is their footage of the fight?

Yes, a decent amount. You forget how brutal that last fight was and how much it took out of both guys; Ali literally collapses to the canvass after Frazier's corner calls it off after 14. It basically ended Frazier's career and Ali was never the same.

Yes, a decent amount. You forget how brutal that last fight was and how much it took out of both guys; Ali literally collapses to the canvass after Frazier's corner calls it off after 14. It basically ended Frazier's career and Ali was never the same.

That was really great. Thanks for letting us know about that....It's crazy that Frazier lived in that room above his gym. He didn't seem to come out as unscathed as he tried to make it sound. He was pretty hard to understand, and he was only 63 when it was filmed.

With all anger he had, I'm surprised that Ali was able to show up at the funeral today. I figured Frazier would have saw to it that he not be allowed in.

Being a kid, I had no idea about the racial dynamics in that whole thing. I just rooted for Ali because he seemed funny. Now, knowing the stuff Ali did to him, I'd have rooted for Frazier.

Dr. Ferdie Pacheco came off as an ahole most of the time, but at least he tried to get Ali to quit.