Would you rather have Green and Dalton?

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, IT'S JUST A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION! I loved the Dareus pick and I think he will be great and I'm sure Williams will be fine. But Dalton continues to look like the real deal and AJ Green was as close to a sure thing as there was in this draft.

So with the NFL going to a passing league, would you rather have Green and Dalton or Marcel and Williams?

No.

Thread over.

Why? Are you the official thread closer or is it because Williams and Dareus have been so dominate it's not up for conversation on a Football Board?

This is the type of response that is exactly what is wrong with this Board in comparison to way back when...In the "old days" around here we fought scratched and clawed all the time...But we had Football conversations...We gave our opinions and we had back and forth...Now threads are littered with this type of response when someone asks a legitimate question about Personnel...And it is a legitimate question especially concerning Dalton vs. Williams...Williams looked terrible in pre-season, not much better before he got hurt, and now he's still out...Dalton is a ROOKIE starting QB who is showing promise and seems to be improving every Game...So you'd rather have Williams the next time Fitz takes a shot to the ribs?

Plus, because this Team started 5-2 we can't question the Orginization who took a RB in the Top 10 with Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch already on the Roster?...

Okey doke... B-)

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, IT'S JUST A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION! I loved the Dareus pick and I think he will be great and I'm sure Williams will be fine. But Dalton continues to look like the real deal and AJ Green was as close to a sure thing as there was in this draft.

So with the NFL going to a passing league, would you rather have Green and Dalton or Marcel and Williams?

Good question and great thread idea. I don't have an answer because frankly I have no idea whether Williams will be any good. Green is clearly good; so is Dareus.

Without Green, this offense is doing decently, even though it lacks the kind of edge at WR we'd like to see. Without Dareus, this defense might as well be a pile of mulch with a big f---ing white flag stuck in it. Green is a fantastic talent, and Dalton could be a good one, but there is no other logical response to this question.

We take a shot at a stud receiver next year. It was imperative that the Bills needed to shore up the D this year. Dareus was completely necessary. AJ Green is a luxury pick for a team devoid of defensive stalwarts. It's the same reason why I didn't like the Spiller pick. He could end up being a dynamic back but the Bills were in no position to take a player like him.

I like Green A LOT...

But I'd rather have Dareus and Dalton... ;)

If you allow me to summarize. This poster would not rather have Green over Dareus.

Without Green, this offense is doing decently, even though it lacks the kind of edge at WR we'd like to see. Without Dareus, this defense might as well be a pile of mulch with a big f---ing white flag stuck in it. Green is a fantastic talent, and Dalton could be a good one, but there is no other logical response to this question.

If you allow me to summarize. This poster would not rather have Green over Dareus.

We take a shot at a stud receiver next year. It was imperative that the Bills needed to shore up the D this year. Dareus was completely necessary. AJ Green is a luxury pick for a team devoid of defensive stalwarts. It's the same reason why I didn't like the Spiller pick. He could end up being a dynamic back but the Bills were in no position to take a player like him.

Why? Are you the official thread closer or is it because Williams and Dareus have been so dominate it's not up for conversation on a Football Board?

This is the type of response that is exactly what is wrong with this Board in comparison to way back when...In the "old days" around here we fought scratched and clawed all the time...But we had Football conversations...We gave our opinions and we had back and forth...Now threads are littered with this type of response when someone asks a legitimate question about Personnel...And it is a legitimate question especially concerning Dalton vs. Williams...Williams looked terrible in pre-season, not much better before he got hurt, and now he's still out...Dalton is a ROOKIE starting QB who is showing promise and seems to be improving every Game...So you'd rather have Williams the next time Fitz takes a shot to the ribs?

Plus, because this Team started 5-2 we can't question the Orginization who took a RB in the Top 10 with Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch already on the Roster?...

Okey doke... B-)

To summarize it was clearly not a good idea to discuss Green over Dareus. There is not much to discuss. The answer is No by 99.9% of the board.

Not to mention that if the "Good old days" mean second guessing and nit picking every move the Bills management makes, Including no brainer decisions to take a game changing defensive force over a peripheral WR then you can have the good old days.

Now Lets talk about how we should have taken Mason Foster and Sam Acho over Kelvin Sheppard and Searcy. :D

Edited by Why So Serious?

I like the Dareus pick just fine but I'd probably have taken a LB like (Ayers or Reed) over Williams but that's nothing against Williams just thought OLB was a bigger need.

To summarize it was clearly not a good idea to discuss Green over Dareus. There is not much to discuss. The answer is No by 99.9% of the board.

Allow me to summarize, "99.9%" of the board has yet to respond to this thread.

The OP did not give respondents the option of splitting the picks ("Green over Dareus"). Simply, which combo would you rather have at this point.

All you had to do was add your opinion without embarrassing yourself.

I personally would see an AJ Green pick in a different, much more positive light than the Spiller pick.

In order to put Spiller on the field, you'd typically have to put Fred Jackson on the bench. The better Fred Jackson plays, the more painful that is to do. Even if Spiller plays very well, you have to ask yourself whether he's going to be that much of an improvement over Jackson!

Yes, there are ways to use Spiller here and there even while keeping Jackson as the featured back. Spiller at WR! Spiller at backup RB, because Jackson needs a break every now and then! Two RB sets! But the bottom line is that the Bills didn't draft Spiller to be a WR, Jackson doesn't need a rest all that often, and a two RB set isn't going to keep defensive coordinators awake at night.

Compare an impact like that to what AJ Green would have provided the Bills had he been the pick. With him on the roster, Stevie Johnson would become the team's second-best WR. One of the keys to the Jets' success was their DBs' ability to cover Bills' WRs one-on-one, freeing up other players to rush the passer. A one-two punch of Stevie Johnson and Donald Jones is much less threatening to the other team's defensive secondary than a one-two punch of AJ Green and Stevie Johnson!

AJ Green would be on the field almost every offensive snap; as opposed to Spiller who gets put on the field in very limited doses. AJ Green's presence would exert significant influence on almost every passing play, whether the ball was thrown his way or not. There have been efforts to have Spiller exert influence too. Spiller as a decoy. Spiller as a blocker. Etc. But these sources of influence are considerably less than a dominant go-to receiver like Green would exert every time the QB dropped back to throw.

I personally would see an AJ Green pick in a different, much more positive light than the Spiller pick.

In order to put Spiller on the field, you'd typically have to put Fred Jackson on the bench. The better Fred Jackson plays, the more painful that is to do. Even if Spiller plays very well, you have to ask yourself whether he's going to be that much of an improvement over Jackson!

Yes, there are ways to use Spiller here and there even while keeping Jackson as the featured back. Spiller at WR! Spiller at backup RB, because Jackson needs a break every now and then! Two RB sets! But the bottom line is that the Bills didn't draft Spiller to be a WR, Jackson doesn't need a rest all that often, and a two RB set isn't going to keep defensive coordinators awake at night.

Compare an impact like that to what AJ Green would have provided the Bills had he been the pick. With him on the roster, Stevie Johnson would become the team's second-best WR. One of the keys to the Jets' success was their DBs' ability to cover Bills' WRs one-on-one, freeing up other players to rush the passer. A one-two punch of Stevie Johnson and Donald Jones is much less threatening to the other team's defensive secondary than a one-two punch of AJ Green and Stevie Johnson!

AJ Green would be on the field almost every offensive snap; as opposed to Spiller who gets put on the field in very limited doses. AJ Green's presence would exert significant influence on almost every passing play, whether the ball was thrown his way or not. There have been efforts to have Spiller exert influence too. Spiller as a decoy. Spiller as a blocker. Etc. But these sources of influence are considerably less than a dominant go-to receiver like Green would exert every time the QB dropped back to throw.

That's all well and good, but then you're giving up Dareus to get him. I would not trade Dareus for Green straight up in a million years. The relative quality of players the Bills passed on for Spiller is nowhere near the quality of either of these two. So I'm not sure what point this conversation is trying to advance, other than that you would draft Green over Spiller if they were both available at the same pick in a draft.

That's all well and good, but then you're giving up Dareus to get him. I would not trade Dareus for Green straight up in a million years. The relative quality of players the Bills passed on for Spiller is nowhere near the quality of either of these two. So I'm not sure what point this conversation is trying to advance, other than that you would draft Green over Spiller if they were both available at the same pick in a draft.

I agree that Dareus was too good an option for the Bills to pass up.

I would disagree with anyone who'd contend that the selection of AJ Green would have been Spiller-like.

For me, a dream scenario would have involved the following:

1) Instead of taking Spiller 8th overall, the Bills trade out of the pick. They end up with a late first or early second round pick in the 2010 draft, and a first round pick in the 2011 draft.

2) The first rounder the Bills acquired by trade turns out to be the 4th overall pick of the 2011 draft.

3) The Bills pick Dareus and Green back-to-back.

A scenario like that would have made me very happy! :D Hopefully I'm not coming across as overly greedy here.