Thinking 2005

JoeF

I know we are in the thick of the 2004 playoff race--but I was just taking a little peak ahead to see what was available in the unrestricted free agent market at what may be need positions. Here are some highlights of players in their 4th to 8th years who at which it may be worth taking a look...all are on teams that are up against the cap...

Obviously our priorities are to keep some of our own (Jennings, Price and Williams) and extend guys like McGee and Clements if possible--we will need some help from Moulds to make this happen---but despite Moulds comments earlier in the year--I think he will oblige.

So--my thoughts on need positions:

OG (our situation is Pucillo is a restricted FA who will probably become a street FA--if you catch my drift)

Joe Andruzzi UFA Patriots (8 year vet-last five as a starter-a Chris Villarrial clone)

Casey Rabach UFA Ravens (4 year vet--first year as a starter)

Roberto Garza UFA Falcons (4 year vet-first year as a full time starter)

Rick DeMulling UFA Colts (4 year vet, 3 year full time starter)

Tupe Peko UFA Colts (3 year vet-part-time fill in injury starter this year)

OT (our situation is Jennings and Price are UFA's)--most of these are RT so Williams would have to flip...more of a possibility now...other option would be move Teague to LT, Tucker to C and then sign a G

Kareem McKenzie Jets (4 year vet, 3 year starter) Jets have to resign both Abraham and Ellis

Oliver Ross, Steelers (7 year vet, 2 year starter)

Victor Riley, Saints (7 year vet, 7 year starter)

Walter Jones- probably out of price range with what we have invested in OL already

Orlando Pace-See Jones comment

TE (need insurance for Campbell, Euhus Injuries)

Bubba Franks, UFA Green Bay, 5 year vet, 5 year starter--not as productive as one would assume but absolutely huge (6-6, 265) best year was 54 catches for 442 yards. Lots of touchdowns though

Freddie Jones, Cardinals, 8 year player-8 year starter

DT (Pat Williams, UFA)

Marcus Bell - Lions - 3 rd tackle--having a good year - would compete with Anderson for #2 spot with Edwards moving to Starting line-up if we lose Williams

Monsanto Pope-Broncos-Stater and 3 year vet. Same situation as above

Jason Ferguson, Jets- 8 year vet-quick off snap

Pipe Dreams--

Shaun Rogers

Corey Simon

Kicker is an iffy position--if we decide to upgrade-drafting Mike "Ted" Nugent from Ohio State may be an option--the kid is a phenom...and may be off the board by our pick--the 64th pick :devil: (do the math)....

I know we are in the thick of the 2004 playoff race--but I was just taking a little peak ahead to see what was available in the unrestricted free agent market at what may be need positions.  Here are some highlights of players in their 4th to 8th years who at which it may be worth taking a look...all are on teams that are up against the cap...

Obviously our priorities are to keep some of our own (Jennings, Price and Williams) and extend guys like McGee and Clements if possible--we will need some help from Moulds to make this happen---but despite Moulds comments earlier in the year--I think he will oblige.

So--my thoughts on need positions:

OG (our situation is Pucillo is a restricted FA who will probably become a street FA--if you catch my drift)

Joe Andruzzi UFA Patriots  (8 year vet-last five as a starter-a Chris Villarrial clone)

Casey Rabach UFA Ravens  (4 year vet--first year as a starter)

Roberto Garza UFA Falcons (4 year vet-first year as a full time starter)

Rick DeMulling UFA Colts  (4 year vet, 3 year full time starter)

Tupe Peko UFA Colts (3 year vet-part-time fill in injury starter this year)

OT (our situation is Jennings and Price are UFA's)--most of these are RT so Williams would have to flip...more of a possibility now...other option would be move Teague to LT, Tucker to C and then sign a G

Kareem McKenzie Jets (4 year vet, 3 year starter) Jets have to resign both Abraham and Ellis

Oliver Ross, Steelers (7 year vet, 2 year starter)

Victor Riley, Saints (7 year vet, 7 year starter)

Walter Jones- probably out of price range with what we have invested in OL already

Orlando Pace-See Jones comment

TE (need insurance for Campbell, Euhus Injuries)

Bubba Franks, UFA Green Bay, 5 year vet, 5 year starter--not as productive as one would assume but absolutely huge (6-6, 265) best year was 54 catches for 442 yards.  Lots of touchdowns though

Freddie Jones, Cardinals, 8 year player-8 year starter

DT (Pat Williams, UFA)

Marcus Bell - Lions - 3 rd tackle--having a good year - would compete with Anderson for #2 spot with Edwards moving to Starting line-up if we lose Williams

Monsanto Pope-Broncos-Stater and 3 year vet.  Same situation as above

Jason Ferguson, Jets- 8 year vet-quick off snap

Pipe Dreams--

Shaun Rogers

Corey Simon

Kicker is an iffy position--if we decide to upgrade-drafting Mike "Ted" Nugent from Ohio State may be an option--the kid is a phenom...and may be off the board by our pick--the 64th pick  :devil: (do the math)....

174813[/snapback]

You missed TE Anthony Becht who is rumored to be headed out of NY. Id prefer Franks over him but would prefer Becht over Jones!

You missed TE Anthony Becht who is rumored to be headed out of NY. Id prefer Franks over him but would prefer Becht over Jones!

175036[/snapback]

Good God man...Anthony Becht is a complete waste. I watch every Jets game, and let me tell you, this guy has been almost completely written out of the Jets offense. He had the ball thrown to him three times last week against the Seahawks, with one easy drop that would have been a TD, he blew the route on a potentially big gainer, and made a catch for a short gain. He's terrible.

Good God man...Anthony Becht is a complete waste.  I watch every Jets game, and let me tell you, this guy has been almost completely written out of the Jets offense.  He had the ball thrown to him three times last week against the Seahawks, with one easy drop that would have been a TD, he blew the route on a potentially big gainer, and made a catch for a short gain.  He's terrible.

175047[/snapback]

Yep, I saw Becht on the list but thought Franks and Jones were better targets.