Only one team in the NFL lost money in 2010

BuffaloBill

Maybe Ralph is smarter than we think

While on the field things may finally be turning around for the Lions their situation in the front office may not be the best. I know many on this board have complained about the Bills management but they have kept the team financially viable. The regionalization concept may be what keeps the Bills in WNY, in addition to a stadium that does not financially kill them.

Maybe Ralph is smarter than we think

While on the field things may finally be turning around for the Lions their situation in the front office may not be the best. I know many on this board have complained about the Bills management but they have kept the team financially viable. The regionalization concept may be what keeps the Bills in WNY, in addition to a stadium that does not financially kill them.

I don't think people accuse Ralph of being dumb...just cheap. Cheap guys with millions usually makse millions more. If you look at the profits of each NFL team, Buffalo is actually in the top 5 for the last decade. (note PROFIT not REVENUE). The Bills have a stadium that they do not own, and lease for less than almost any other team in the NFL, they sellout most of their games, get an equal share of NFL tv money, and don't even come close to spending as much on payroll as 25 of the other teams in the NFL. It's a simple formula for making tons of money. The problem is, it doesn't help the long term financial situation / viability of the team unless the new owner is willing to keep everything the eexact way it is now. If the next owner wants a new stadium....which most do....or wants to get more stars or retain all the Bills are drafting....which we all hope they would...then the current financial model will fail. Much like the lions has. Because the Lions are basically in the same situation as the Bills, except that they have a new stadium and spend a lot more on payroll.

DC Grid- I am not sure if they are in the top 5, but I know they are pretty high on the list. They are more profitable than other teams in far larger markets. I thin you nailed one of the benfits on the head- little in stadium costs. Jeremy Jones must be mortgaged to the nose with is new stadium. That is why he charges more for parking than we do for most tickets.

Think about the potential profit increase if Bills were to raise ticket prices $20 accross the board and sell naming rights

I don't think people accuse Ralph of being dumb...just cheap. Cheap guys with millions usually makse millions more. If you look at the profits of each NFL team, Buffalo is actually in the top 5 for the last decade. (note PROFIT not REVENUE). The Bills have a stadium that they do not own, and lease for less than almost any other team in the NFL, they sellout most of their games, get an equal share of NFL tv money, and don't even come close to spending as much on payroll as 25 of the other teams in the NFL. It's a simple formula for making tons of money. The problem is, it doesn't help the long term financial situation / viability of the team unless the new owner is willing to keep everything the eexact way it is now. If the next owner wants a new stadium....which most do....or wants to get more stars or retain all the Bills are drafting....which we all hope they would...then the current financial model will fail. Much like the lions has. Because the Lions are basically in the same situation as the Bills, except that they have a new stadium and spend a lot more on payroll.

Maybe Ralph's just trying to get everything he can out of it now so that he can leave the team to Erie County when he dies. Then you'll see some real professional mis-management.

DC Grid- I am not sure if they are in the top 5, but I know they are pretty high on the list. They are more profitable than other teams in far larger markets. I thin you nailed one of the benfits on the head- little in stadium costs. Jeremy Jones must be mortgaged to the nose with is new stadium. That is why he charges more for parking than we do for most tickets.

Think about the potential profit increase if Bills were to raise ticket prices $20 accross the board and sell naming rights

I think you're right...they might not be top 5...but they are up there. I had heard the stat that since 2000 they were overall top 5 in profit, but the best supporting material I could find had them ranked 9th last year...still pretty darn high.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/134157/4/Forbes-Bills-Among-NFLs-Most-Profitable-Teams

I think you're right...they might not be top 5...but they are up there. I had heard the stat that since 2000 they were overall top 5 in profit, but the best supporting material I could find had them ranked 9th last year...still pretty darn high.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/134157/4/Forbes-Bills-Among-NFLs-Most-Profitable-Teams

Speculation that driving the profit up to increase sale price is a little bit of a stretch. after all the team made $40M on a business supposedly worth neary $800MM. If making money were the sole motivation N investment elsewhere would make much more sense. Owners want sports teams because there are very few of them and it is like a "prize" to own one.

Do you think everyone would not have a problem with a $20 price increase for tickets?

Do you think everyone would not have a problem with a $20 price increase for tickets?

I have season tickets and I would not mind paying an additional $20 per game if we had a good team on the field (like we do now) and if we had assurances that the team was staying in B-lo. I would especailly not mind it if the ended the Toronto series.

I have season tickets and I would not mind paying an additional $20 per game if we had a good team on the field (like we do now) and if we had assurances that the team was staying in B-lo. I would especailly not mind it if the ended the Toronto series.

Exactly. And if you don't have these things you would not pay the increase. No guarantees that the team will always be good and right now nothing saying the Bills are staying.

Total speculation on my part but my guess is that the Bills haven't had a money losing season since 1962. The NBC contract with the AFL kicked in the followng year, which also coincided with the Bills getting better and attracting more fans to their games. Posters always mention the fact that Ralph bought a franchise for $25,000 that is now worth $750 - $800 million. But it's not just the value of the franchise. It's the fact that Ralph has made X million each and every year since somewhere in the mid 60's! Not too shabby!