Don Banks Midseason Report: Surprise.....

ganesh

Mid season Report

• EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR: Buddy Nix, Buffalo general manager: Nix hired Chan Gailey last year, drafted defensive tackle Marcell Dareus this year, and has built a talented offense around lightly regarded players such as quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, running back Fred Jackson, receiver Stevie Johnson, tight end Scott Chandler and receiver David Nelson. The Bills have responded with a breakthrough season so far, and are 5-2 and tied with New England for first in the AFC East.

-- Kudos to Ted Thompson, Green Bay general manager.

Was Nix responsible for Fred (no), Stevie (no) or fitz?  Chan should be getting coach of the year credit.  Nix has done a great job, no doubt about it, but he's not the reason these guys are succeeding. Chan is.

Edited by NewEra

Was Nix responsible for Fred (no), Stevie (no) or fitz?  Chan should be getting coach of the year credit.  Nix has done a great job, no doubt about it, but he's not the reason these guys are succeeding. Chan is.

Wasn't Nix responsible for Gailey ? The nomination quoted by the OP was not for COTY, it was for Executive of the year.

While it's true that Fred, Stevie and Fitz were brought in pre-Nix--- Buddy, Chan, Whaley, Moody, etc. all work hand in hand on talent evaluation, and those 3 players were never given a chance to be unquestioned fulltime starters until Nix/Gailey. Guys like Chandler, Urbik, Pears, Barnett, Merriman, Dwan Edwards, etc. were brought in by Nix, not to mention the numerous draft picks that have become major contributors.

And of course, he hired the perfect coach for this team. If Nix isn't a candidate for Exec. of the Year (all of the above wasn't necessarily accomplished in one year, of course) then I don't know what type of executive can possibly be considered eligible. He's done a hell of a job thus far, and there's still work to be done. Not bad in such a short time.

Is it too early to maybe give some of the praise that Nix is getting, to Doug Whaley. He is the assistant GM, and, the pro-personel guy. So far, particularly compared to John Guy, it seems the guy bringing in scrubs from other pro rosters seems to know what he is doing...GM of the future? Not saying Buddy doesn't deserve any credit, just not all, if Whaley is doing the job I imagine he is doing.

While it's true that Fred, Stevie and Fitz were brought in pre-Nix--- Buddy, Chan, Whaley, Moody, etc. all work hand in hand on talent evaluation, and those 3 players were never given a chance to be unquestioned fulltime starters until Nix/Gailey. Guys like Chandler, Urbik, Pears, Barnett, Merriman, Dwan Edwards, etc. were brought in by Nix, not to mention the numerous draft picks that have become major contributors.

And of course, he hired the perfect coach for this team. If Nix isn't a candidate for Exec. of the Year (all of the above wasn't necessarily accomplished in one year, of course) then I don't know what type of executive can possibly be considered eligible. He's done a hell of a job thus far, and there's still work to be done. Not bad in such a short time.

Well, Polian has set up a team to support Luck fairly well and has set up a team that should be able to get him as well (come on Miami, win 1 friggin' game (but not against us, preferably against the Cheatriots or the J-E-S-T, Jest, Jest, Jest)). If that ain't long range planning, I'm not sure what is. ;)

Yes but this same leadership team started Trent Edwards over Fitz, Lynch and Spiller over Jackson, kept Brohm on the roster for an entire year, and failed to move Wood to his natural position...just sayin it takes them a while to get it done...

<br />Wasn't Nix responsible for Gailey ? The nomination quoted by the OP was not for COTY, it was for Executive of the year.<br />
. Yes, I know. Fred, Stevie and fitz were also mentioned while giving credit to nix. They weren't his doing. Yes, he brought in chan, the year prior. I like buddy, but chan is the guy making this offense go. Our offense is making this team go. I realize the thread is regarding executive of the year, but the reason he's in the running is because of the Nfls coach of the year....chan gailey. Sad thing is, Harbaugh will most likely win it. The 49ers schedule is a joke and there's a good chance they win 13-15 games because of it. He's done an amazing job, but he's an offensive HC and it's the defense that's winning them ball games. Chan is an offensive HC and its his offense, being run by 7th rounders and undrafted free agents that's winning the ball games. Nix is doing a fine job, but don't give him credit for things he doesn't deserve.

Is it too early to maybe give some of the praise that Nix is getting, to Doug Whaley. He is the assistant GM, and, the pro-personel guy. So far, particularly compared to John Guy, it seems the guy bringing in scrubs from other pro rosters seems to know what he is doing...GM of the future? Not saying Buddy doesn't deserve any credit, just not all, if Whaley is doing the job I imagine he is doing.

My thoughts too. Urbik, Pears, Chandler, Rinehart, etc. are all Doug Whaley.

Huh?

Fitz only became the starter after Edwards fell on his face...again. Then their hand was forced to start Fitz.

The same brain trust was starting Lynch over Jackson and wasted the 8th overall pick on Spiller because Jackson wasn't good enough.

Only read the snippet, but it appears he said he built the team around fitz, Fred, and stevie.....

Is that true??? I had no idea...wow!!!

Not to mention stealing that draft pick from the Ravens for Lee Evans. After 8 weeks (7 games) he's played in 2, and has 2 receptions for 45 yards.

Yes but this same leadership team started Trent Edwards over Fitz, Lynch and Spiller over Jackson, kept Brohm on the roster for an entire year, and failed to move Wood to his natural position...just sayin it takes them a while to get it done...

You know who would have come in, cleaned house of all the dead weight veterans immediately and taken a my way or the highway approach? Gregg Williams.

Gailey built trust here and let starters play their way out of positions while evaluating the whole. But because - holy ****! - things didn't all magically come to fruition in year one, some apparently fail to see the value in this. Bad teams take time to turn around, there are inevitable stumbles, and now, things look good way ahead of schedule. Just enjoy it.

Killjoy. :flirt:

I agree and am impressed that Whaley seems to embrace a 'behind the scenes' guy. I believe it bodes very well for a long, successful future as our GM.

. Yes, I know. Fred, Stevie and fitz were also mentioned while giving credit to nix. They weren't his doing. Yes, he brought in chan, the year prior. I like buddy, but chan is the guy making this offense go. Our offense is making this team go. I realize the thread is regarding executive of the year, but the reason he's in the running is because of the Nfls coach of the year....chan gailey. Sad thing is, Harbaugh will most likely win it. The 49ers schedule is a joke and there's a good chance they win 13-15 games because of it. He's done an amazing job, but he's an offensive HC and it's the defense that's winning them ball games. Chan is an offensive HC and its his offense, being run by 7th rounders and undrafted free agents that's winning the ball games. Nix is doing a fine job, but don't give him credit for things he doesn't deserve.

People within this post have got it dialed-in pretty well… Nix gets credit for hiring Gailey and Whaley… signing solid free agents such as Nick Barnett, Dwan Edwards, picking up solid undrafted players like David Nelson, Donald Jones, and Naaman Roosevelt, and gathering up castoff gems such as Urbik, Pears, Rinehart, and Chandler.

In addition, it's early but the 2011 draft is looking quite stellar on the heels of a so far disappointing 2010 draft.

I think you're giving Nix short shrift here.

You know who would have come in, cleaned house of all the dead weight veterans immediately and taken a my way or the highway approach? Gregg Williams.

Gailey built trust here and let starters play their way out of positions while evaluating the whole. But because - holy ****! - things didn't all magically come to fruition in year one, some apparently fail to see the value in this. Bad teams take time to turn around, there are inevitable stumbles, and now, things look good way ahead of schedule. Just enjoy it.

There was a wisdom and clarity to the Nix/Gailey/Whaley approach.

As you nicely point out, they did not come in with bullhorns blaring and a mandate to slash and burn the roster.

They spent an entire 2010 season evaluating the talent on hand… a humble and wise approach not predicated on the arrogance that they know better than anyone else and can evaluate personnel solely by watching game tape… without knowing about injuries, coaching techniques, and other relevant factors… without watching the players actually practice and without having the opportunity to speak with them and coach them.

Year two of the program is looking damn good. The Bills are ahead of schedule by one year and Nix deserves a great deal of credit.