JETS INJURY UPDATES

ROCCEO

Abraham hopeful for return in playoffs

(12-22) 13:59 PST HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) --

Jets Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham jogged Wednesday for the first time since spraining his right knee earlier this month, but probably won't play again in the regular season.

Abraham hurt his lateral collateral ligament against Houston on Dec. 5 and will miss his third straight game Sunday against the New England Patriots. Though there is an outside shot he can play against St. Louis next week, the most realistic timetable is in the first round, should the Jets clinch a postseason berth.

The Jets need one win in their final two games to make the playoffs.

"I'm pointing more toward the playoffs, but the Rams game would be nice," Abraham said. "I have to see how I feel after this week. The playoffs is the big thing for me right now."

Abraham has 91/2 sacks this season and was voted to the Pro Bowl despite playing in 12 games. Even when he does return, Abraham will be limited.

"I'm sure when I come back I'm not going to be able to play as many plays as I played because I've been out for over a month," Abraham said. "I'm just trying to come back and do a little bit at first and hopefully we can slide in the playoffs and not worry about rushing into anything."

There is no timetable for when Abraham can start moving forward in his rehab.

"I'm making a little more movement on the leg, I'm trying to see how far I can push it right now," he said. "I did a little jogging today but that's pretty much it. I haven't tried doing movement things or anything viable to me coming back any time soon. I'm still taking it week by week."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n...1659EST0423.DTL