Rep Jackie Speir to Live on Food Stamps for a Week

Chef Jim

How thoughtful of her

In a release, Speier said she “wants to experience firsthand how a growing number of Americans are forced to live in this tough economy.

Forced to???

“I am gonna spend the next 5 days subsisting on $4.50 a day, to experience what is is really like,” she said in a video statement. Speier shopped with a nutritionist and a chef who offered tips on getting the best bang for her buck.She said her goal was to get people to “appreciate that there are many people in this country, silently, going hungry every single day and what’s it really like.”

Shopped with a nutritionist and a chef? WTF?

How thoughtful of her

Forced to???

A whole five days? On food stamps? Yeah, I live on $4.50 a day for food, too...it's called a diet, you dumb cow.

And no doubt after this ridiculous stunt they'll trot out the one and only bonehead they can find to say "Now Rep. Speier really understands me!"

Assuming a basic pantry, and I mean real basic, its not that hard to get by on that budget and eat well doing it. As long as you're willing to cook, $4.50 a day gets you through the week.

Next week's lesson will be how to ferment food scraps and leftovers so that you can also get drunk on only $4.50 a day. That's more challenging.

It's a service that comes with food stamps these days I hear...

Rep. Jackie Speier (D-San Mateo) is trying to feed herself with nothing more than $4.50 a day, the amount of money most people on food stamps get each day.

Thats $22.50 a week, which is exactly what Speier spent when she visited Safeway today.

Either someone needs some help with basic math or they went and changed the calendar on me again...I get $31.50 no matter how many times I do the math.

EDIT: Now I see...her weeks are 5 days.

Edited by BadgerVid

Here's an idea! Stop letting food stamps cover junk food, soda, and candy, and they'll all have plenty more money for actual food :devil:

This woman's an ass

Nonsense! She's 'entitled' to buy whatever she wants with food stamps; it's her 'right' to spend taxpayer money set aside for families to meet basic nutritional needs and feed themselves to buy crap.

Though I would like my gubment mandated nutritionist and private chef to accompany me to the store more. Darn lazy bureaucrats.

QFT

I can't believe these are covered to begin with

I love this topic. There are very few topics in which I feel completely confident that I am right and the other side is dead wrong. I don't know if you remember on the old boards about the time I was working for Walmart on Black Friday, and a couple came up to my register with a $500 flat screen, a $200 Blu-ray player, and a cart load of Blu-rays and paid with her EBT Cash Assistance. Oh did I wanna tell her off. I'm working my way through college and she's going home with a larger TV than I'll probably ever own.

I've sold Easter candy on Food Stamps.

I've sold piles of junk food to a woman on EBT who then pulled a wad of $20s out of her bra to pay for her cigarettes. REAL classy.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I love this topic. There are very few topics in which I feel completely confident that I am right and the other side is dead wrong. I don't know if you remember on the old boards about the time I was working for Walmart on Black Friday, and a couple came up to my register with a $500 flat screen, a $200 Blu-ray player, and a cart load of Blu-rays and paid with her EBT Cash Assistance. Oh did I wanna tell her off. I'm working my way through college and she's going home with a larger TV than I'll probably ever own.

I've sold Easter candy on Food Stamps.

I've sold piles of junk food to a woman on EBT who then pulled a wad of $20s out of her bra to pay for her cigarettes. REAL classy.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IGfe2tAUbM

1320113116[/url]' post='2297323']

Assuming a basic pantry, and I mean real basic, its not that hard to get by on that budget and eat well doing it. As long as you're willing to cook, $4.50 a day gets you through the week.

Next week's lesson will be how to ferment food scraps and leftovers so that you can also get drunk on only $4.50 a day. That's more challenging.

Good luck feeding yourself well on $30 a week.

1320593983[/url]' post='2302356']

I've been on a salad diet. I get a week's worth (well a work week anyway) of salads at Trader Joe's for under $30

But then we spent a $100 out on Friday night. :wallbash:

A weeks worth of lettuce isn't sustainable nutrition. He said you could eat well on $30 a week. I'd like to see that shopping list.

A weeks worth of lettuce isn't sustainable nutrition. He said you could eat well on $30 a week. I'd like to see that shopping list.

Box of cereal $2.99

Gallon of Milk $3.99

Bag of rice $4.00

Box of pasta $2.00

Frozen Veggies (3 bags) $7.50

2 whole chickens $5.50

2 lbs of pork roast $6.00

I'm a couple of dollars over but this was just a quick search. But then they'd have to actually learn how to cook.