Did the Madoff family know?

boyst

While the wife seems totally naive the sons had to have some idea something was fishy. I mean, who'd lie and say they knew?! But this is just amazing, I may not have ever heard all about this but the sons turning the father in - then being asked to post bond - wow.

That they both planned to kill themselves, as well. This story is just so deep in emotion that it makes you wonder if it is too deep in emotion - as in all an act. Anyone else feeling the same?

So far I think the sons wife is the smartest of the bunch.

The wife came off, either through 60 minutes edits or natural, as a very innocent naive person. Reminds me of any midwestern wife out there who was just the wife. Hard to remember she was the other half of a billionaires success.

The son just came off as bitter by the end of it and I think he had the right to be, obviously. How could he have not have known?! That wife, though, she gets solid credit for being a great wife.

The wife came off, either through 60 minutes edits or natural, as a very innocent naive person. Reminds me of any midwestern wife out there who was just the wife. Hard to remember she was the other half of a billionaires success.

The son just came off as bitter by the end of it and I think he had the right to be, obviously. How could he have not have known?! That wife, though, she gets solid credit for being a great wife.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

So your definition of a solid wife is one who is so subservient to her husband that she sat back in silence (or blissful ignorance) as her husband stole hundreds of millions of dollars from people AND then had the good sense to commit suicide with him because he got caught?

I guess we look for different things in a woman.

I'm still having a hard time feeling bad for any of these folks. Whether she knew it or not, she lived a very good life on the backs of others. In fact, even after all is said and done and he's in prison, the scraps she still has from this mess still allow her to live a better life than I'll EVER live, and that makes me sick. This is why when there is violent revolution in other countries and these power brokers get caught they and their entire families die some quick deaths...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

So your definition of a solid wife is one who is so subservient to her husband that she sat back in silence (or blissful ignorance) as her husband stole hundreds of millions of dollars from people AND then had the good sense to commit suicide with him because he got caught?

I guess we look for different things in a woman.

He means the sons wife, not Madoffs wife.

That was a very rough interview. Really tough to watch. Madoff left a trail of destruction, to be sure.

I dont think the wife knew and Im not surprised she didnt. Think about it....your spouse know EVERYTHING youre doing 9-5? You could be doing a ton of stuff s/he will never know about.

Edited by RkFast

That was a very rough interview. Really tough to watch. Madoff left a trail of destruction, to be sure.

I dont think the wife knew and Im not surprised she didnt. Think about it....your spouse know EVERYTHING youre doing 9-5? You could be doing a ton of stuff s/hes will never know about.

And why would she have any idea or question how he was making his money?

And why would she have any idea or question how he was making his money?

My wife doesn't know exactly what I do at work (not positive she even knows generally - hell, sometimes I'm not even sure myself).

I have to imagine that if I'm a billionaire Ponzi-scheme fraudster masquerading as a hedge fund manager, I'm pretty sure I can stifle any spousal interest in my job by exclaiming "I made 30% today on Angora goat futures!" or such.

My wife doesn't know exactly what I do at work (not positive she even knows generally - hell, sometimes I'm not even sure myself).

I have to imagine that if I'm a billionaire Ponzi-scheme fraudster masquerading as a hedge fund manager, I'm pretty sure I can stifle any spousal interest in my job by exclaiming "I made 30% today on Angora goat futures!" or such.

I imagine he stifled it by saying "honey, I just bought you a new Rolls."

Bernie fooled Wall Street, thousands of investors and the SEC for 20+ years. It isn't too hard for me to believe that he fooled his wife and kids as well. No one knew what was up until the money ran out and Bernie couldn't pay the redemptions.

As for Mark's suicide, he, his brother and mother were harassed around the clock. I don't think that the people who lost everything were at all interested in distinguishing between Bernie and his family. Imagine living with the guilt and shame that your father wiped out thousands of people's savings, many charities - and I'm pretty sure several synogogues and a famous Holocaust Survivors charity were heavily invested in Madoff- while you got rich.

Bernie fooled Wall Street, thousands of investors and the SEC for 20+ years. It isn't too hard for me to believe that he fooled his wife and kids as well. No one knew what was up until the money ran out and Bernie couldn't pay the redemptions.

As for Mark's suicide, he, his brother and mother were harassed around the clock. I don't think that the people who lost everything were at all interested in distinguishing between Bernie and his family. Imagine living with the guilt and shame that your father wiped out thousands of people's savings, many charities - and I'm pretty sure several synogogues and a famous Holocaust Survivors charity were heavily invested in Madoff- while you got rich.

His sons are the ones who turned him in.