Hooray for PDANet!

With Verizon, do you have to pay?

Yes and no. It uses your data plan so if you don't have unlimited, it will cost you if you use it a lot. But you are not charged the monthly "hot spot" fee that Verizon wants for their own tethering. There is a one time charge for PDAnet if you opt to buy it. I did not, so when I used it after the initial 30 days, I'd get a pop up once in a while reminding me to buy it.

http://junefabrics.com/android/

With Verizon, do you have to pay?

From my understanding, you can get away with it for free as long as you don't abuse it. If you start using ridiculous amounts of data each month, Verizon can come after you and charge you for the data since your unlimited plan doesn't cover tethering to a computer.

Yes and no. It uses your data plan so if you don't have unlimited, it will cost you if you use it a lot. But you are not charged the monthly "hot spot" fee that Verizon wants for their own tethering. There is a one time charge for PDAnet if you opt to buy it. I did not, so when I used it after the initial 30 days, I'd get a pop up once in a while reminding me to buy it.

http://junefabrics.com/android/

Root your droid. Tether for free.

Root your droid. Tether for free.

I don't have a droid (Motorola Droid X) anymore. Work took it away and gave everyone iPhone 4, because everyone else had problems. I didn't, I had my phone rooted the first few days I had it. And I was willing to find solutions to my issues rather than whining about it like everyone else.

I don't have a droid (Motorola Droid X) anymore. Work took it away and gave everyone iPhone 4, because everyone else had problems. I didn't, I had my phone rooted the first few days I had it. And I was willing to find solutions to my issues rather than whining about it like everyone else.

I have an Evo. Took me awhile to root it but now I wish I had done it from day one. Runs so much faster, the free tether, and removing all the crap that the network pre-installs. It's fun to play around with different Roms too.

Don't know much about the iPhones, but I've heard you can do something similar called 'jailbreaking'.

Jailbreak your iPhone and you can tether like crazy.

I have an Evo. Took me awhile to root it but now I wish I had done it from day one. Runs so much faster, the free tether, and removing all the crap that the network pre-installs. It's fun to play around with different Roms too.

Don't know much about the iPhones, but I've heard you can do something similar called 'jailbreaking'.

It's similar, but it doesn't let you do things like switch out the kernel.