Spikes, Mcgee, Adams

Rudyc80

The Buffalo Bills have announced that three of their players, DT Sam Adams, KR Terrence McGee and LB Takeo Spikes have been selected to represent the American Football Conference in the Pro Bowl, the NFL's annual all-star game.

Adams will be making his third appearance in the Pro Bowl and first with the Bills, having also represented the AFC and the Baltimore Ravens in 2000 and 2001. Adams has been a dominate stopgap in the middle of the Bills defensive line and has posted 31 tackles, four sacks, and an interception.

McGee, now in his second season, has been spectacular for the Bills returning kickoffs this year. McGee currently leads the AFC in kickoff returns with a 26.6 yard average and is the only player in the NFL with three kickoff return touchdowns this year, including the NFL's longest, a 104-yarder at Miami.

Spikes will be headed to Hawaii for the second time in his career after earning the honor last season with the Bills. The 6-2, 242-pound Auburn product has taken his game to another level this season. On the year, Spikes has totaled 90 tackles (66 solo), two sacks, and four interceptions, two of which he returned for a touchdown, establishing a new career high.

Additionally, cornerback Nate Clements, wide receiver Eric Moulds, and defensive end Aaron Schobel have been named as AFC alternates.

I would say that Moulds is there on reputation and not performance; he isn't a 1000 yarder, is 23rd in the NFL in yards, and he isn't in the TOP FOUR receivers on our team in terms of average yards per catch (Kevin Thomas, Lee Evans, Sam Aiken, Ryan Neufeld). I admit he has had many a ball thrown behind him lately, but his stats in the latest run are abysmal (CIN-47 yds., CLE-38 yds., MIA-68 yds., SEA-93, STL-17).

That Moorman isn't there is a complete travesty. Not only is he the league's best punter, he's the best punter by a lot. He does what he does in conditions that would make most of the punters in the league cry. Most of the early part of the season he was our best player, period.

Who got the nod, that tool Hentrich? That overrated Lechler? Bah. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Pro Bowl selectors.

That Moorman isn't there is a complete travesty. Not only is he the league's best punter, he's the best punter by a lot. He does what he does in conditions that would make most of the punters in the league cry. Most of the early part of the season he was our best player, period.

Who got the nod, that tool Hentrich? That overrated Lechler? Bah.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Pro Bowl selectors.

174119[/snapback]

i wnat to know who the hell made it instead of him. total BS!

Agree on Fletcher. Value to one's team is defined by Fletcher--5 straight 100 tackle seasons, I believe.

Is Moorman a case of too many voters looking at pure stats instead of their overall contribution to the team? Moorman wins the latter hands-down.

Who got the nod, that tool Hentrich? That overrated Lechler? Bah.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Pro Bowl selectors.

174119[/snapback]

The ProBowl is a travesty. I agree with Jim Rome's take: "The Pro Bowl was played this weekend. Nobody cared." :w00t:

When the Bills start winning consistently again, their players will start getting more recognition (even the one's who don't quite deserve it). Moorman DID get shafted, but ask a casual fan if they know who he is, and you'll likely get a look as blank as a white wall.

Moorman is the best punter in the NFL. Not only is he a good bet to hit one 60 yards when you really need it, he's also an excellent directional punter and can pin an opponent inside the 10. He also plays in weather conditions that are often horrible. That he was overlooked by the voters (read that:fans) who are too stupid to realize that punting requires more than a high average per punt is a travesty.

No arguments with the three guys who made it outright. Adams, in particular, had a monster year, even if his stats are average. I was a detractor of his prior to signing him and was underwhelmed with his performances most of last year, but he was practically unstoppable this season.

Moulds and Schobel do not belong as Pro Bowl alternates. Moulds probably has the stats, but he's dropped far too many this year and really has not had the type of year the numbers would indicate. He's been pretty ordinary this year, and I suspect he got there on name recognition. Schobel is a mystery to me. He certainly doesn't have statistics on his side. So maybe numbers aren't everything, just ask Sam Adams. Adams may be the best DT in the NFL right now, but the stats don't bear it out. The problem for Schobel is that he isn't anywhere close to dominating, certainly doesn't command double teams, and in fact, he's been a non factor quite often this season. So again, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't believe Schobel should be an alternate.

season. 

Schobel is a mystery to me.  He certainly doesn't have statistics on his side.  So maybe numbers aren't everything,  just ask Sam Adams.  Adams may be the best DT in the NFL right now,  but the stats don't bear it out.  The problem for Schobel is that he isn't anywhere close to dominating, certainly doesn't command double teams,  and in fact,  he's been a non factor quite often this season.  So again,  maybe I'm missing something,  but I just don't believe Schobel should be an alternate.

174277[/snapback]

Or it could just be that the players that Schobel goes up against week after week (who, if I am not mistaken make up 33% of the Pro Bowl vote) think more higly of his abilities than those of us who sit back and watch. I agree that Schobel has been underwhelming at times, but I think he has really played very well for the last 8 weeks or so. He is improving by the week.

Personally, I don't care all that much who makes the Pro Bowl or not, but I would have thought, of all the Bills who were deserving this year, a case could have been made for Fletcher certainly (although he made a ton of stupid plays during the 0-4 start), but what about Pat Williams? I actually think, down for down, week after week, he is maybe the Bills most consistent defensive performer. Adams may be more dominant at times, but Williams, for as big a guy as he is, takes very few plays off. I thought he might warrant at least a backup roll on the pro-bowl sqaud. The positive of him not making it, is that he will have just a little less leveredge in demanding too much money, thus making my wish of the Bills resigning him a little more likely...

174119[/snapback]

Agreed. He kicks in the most adverse conditions known to man. Moorman's omission is criminal!

Adams' selection was a mild surprise.