Young boy wishes to join Girl Scouts

Activities where no/few alternative for girls exists, like ice hockey.

Well I'm not familiar with ice hockey opportunities for girls, but I do know that women's hockey at the NCAA and adult amateur/pro levels is continuing to gain traction, so that's good.

But that's not the point. The point is a cultural double standard - girls who play with boys show "moxy" and "spunk". Boys who play with girls are labelled faggots. This is a trend perpetuated by adults as well as children.

I'm not saying that a private organization, especially one called Girl Scouts, has any obligation to include boys. That's their business. But your stupid sarcastic message about "yay progressives" holds no water. Who the !@#$ cares if a boy wants to be in girl scouts?

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Well I'm not familiar with ice hockey opportunities for girls, but I do know that women's hockey at the NCAA and adult amateur/pro levels is continuing to gain traction, so that's good.

But that's not the point. The point is a cultural double standard - girls who play with boys show "moxy" and "spunk". Boys who play with girls are labelled faggots. This is a trend perpetuated by adults as well as children.

I'm not saying that a private organization, especially one called Girl Scouts, has any obligation to include boys. That's their business. But your stupid sarcastic message about "yay progressives" holds no water. Who the !@#$ cares if a boy wants to be in girl scouts?

It's the double standard, and I think men made out pretty sweet in the original deal, so don't rock the boat.

Two things you may have missed:

1. If you or anyone else really gave a crap about this kid instead of just an abstract notion of "equality" your advice would be less theoretical and more practical. The kid's name is Bobby Montoya. That's a pretty cool sounding name and he should use it to his advantage. Here is some practical advice for him:

He should go to the girl scout director and simply say

Hello. My name is Bobby Montoya. You denied my father the right to be a girl scout. Prepare to let me be a girl scout.

That would definitely work.

2. I didn't know Booster's name was Bobby. Did you?

Edited by ieatcrayonz

This isn't about effeminate boys or girl tomboys-it's about the acceptance of the breakdown of gender roles/identity. If a boy wants to make songs like lady gaga or design clothes so be it-just don't try and tell me he's a girl trapped in a boys body.

This isn't about effeminate boys or girl tomboys-it's about the acceptance of the breakdown of gender roles/identity. If a boy wants to make songs like lady gaga or design clothes so be it-just don't try and tell me he's a girl trapped in a boys body.

I won't try to tell you that, nor will I tell you otherwise. Seeing as I'm not the boy.

I will tell you that I see no generalized breakdown of gender identity in America.

I won't try to tell you that, nor will I tell you otherwise. Seeing as I'm not the boy.

I will tell you that I see no generalized breakdown of gender identity in America.

The family structure has all but collapsed. Out of wedlock births are up to 40%, it was about 5% 40 years ago. You can't tell me that permissive liberal attitudes haven't enabled this.

The family structure has all but collapsed. Out of wedlock births are up to 40%, it was about 5% 40 years ago. You can't tell me that permissive liberal attitudes haven't enabled this.

Did you play Little League? I bet you were the left fielder, because man that came out of nowhere!

This rash of out-of-wedlock births...is it happening because Dads are running off en masse to start new lives as drag queens?

This isn't about effeminate boys or girl tomboys-it's about the acceptance of the breakdown of gender roles/identity.

If you actually knew anything about this subject, you'd know that gender identity is still rather rigid. Those who claim to be of ambiguous gender are an extremely small minority. They also happen to be vocal. Not only that, but these people have been here for generations, they just didn't have the forum in which to speak about it. Kind of like gay people. People didn't start being gay in the 60's, it's just that before the 60's they were pedophiles.