Dog help; Has this ever happened?

Clippers of Nfl

Im pretty sure everyone knows the sound a dog makes when you step on his feet or slam the door on his hands. That crazy scream of pain. Sounds like a very loud screech. By accident my wife among others have stepped on my dogs foot, so I know that crazy scream.

------

Last night Im chilling watching the tube with the wife. The doggie on the couch with my wife. All of a sudden, my dog does that crazy scream of pain 15 times back to back. I thought he was choking on something. I didnt know what to do. Eventually it passed. It was about 20 seconds of that. I wanted to make sure he was ok. I ran outside and started running laps with him in the driveway. He seemed to be back to normal.

Other relevant info. On his night walk (before the episode), he picked up what looked like a twig or bone. When i noticed it, I tried taking it away, he didnt open his mouth and eventually I let him keep it. I was pretty positive in a sprint, he would drop it. Sure enough, like 20 feet later, he didnt have anything in his mouth. Keep in mind I was sprinting too. So did he swallow that object? Did he drop it?

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Just out of the blue screaming like that.

This morning, Bill appears to be back to normal.

all he was doing was making noise? when the episode stopped what did he do?

after the running with me, this time he did go to sleep for sure.

A friend of mine is a vet in Chicago...I usually talk to her once per week, so when I speak to her in the next day or two I'll run your post by her and see if she has any feedback for ya.

Glad he's okay!

Was the dog sleeping? I wonder if it may have been a possible nightmare. I'm not sure if dogs actually dream or not, but I know that my last dog would from time to time suddenly wake up with a bit of a startling noise. It wasn't that painful screech that you mentioned or constant, but it something would definitely startle her out of her sleep.

A friend of mine is a vet in Chicago...I usually talk to her once per week, so when I speak to her in the next day or two I'll run your post by her and see if she has any feedback for ya.

Glad he's okay!

aj you know that i know that you are the man.

thanks.

Was the dog sleeping? I wonder if it may have been a possible nightmare. I'm not sure if dogs actually dream or not, but I know that my last dog would from time to time suddenly wake up with a bit of a startling noise. It wasn't that painful screech that you mentioned or constant, but it something would definitely startle her out of her sleep.

Both wife and I were not aware if he was sleeping yet. Doh! I too would have thought it was a nightmare if he cried out once. He just kept doing it. Or it must have been some scary ass dream.

If he did swallow something, try just feeling with some pressure on his stomach. Sometimes you can feel a foreign object in there, or you might get him to yelp again, giving you some confirmation that he swallowed something.

If you did think he swallowed something that he can pass, you might try giving him some canned pumpkin to help get him to pass it.

I will tell you right now to take the dog in for x-rays. My dog (a shih-tzu) swallowed a 7 in bone straight down....The painful screams that I heard were unbearable from the bone moving through the stomach...If we waited the bone would have become lodged and then necrosis would have began and he would have died. Not trying to scare you but it is possible he has the twig or whatever in his GI tract that is causing the pain!

take your dog to the vet for xrays asap. its the only way to know for sure if there is something wrong, or at the very least you'll know you dont need to worry.

coulda just been a nightmare. coulda just been nothing. could be a screw tearing up his insides. :o

best wishes to the lil guy!

this is my guess. My dog regularly has nightmares (she's a rescue--former owner was abusive. always assume she is reliving past trauma in dreams...but what's she going to do, tell me?) sometimes she shrieks out sometimes a panicked whimper.

if he's acting ok now I wouldn't worry. Dogs have limited ways to expresses themselves. Sometimes their weirdness is just a dog being a dog.