who else besides Luck

fansince88

OK, this from a guy that doesn't have the chance to follow or watch college football I have to wonder something and respect the input of the masses that actually know. Who is there besides Luck. We have Fitz for what 4_5 more years at best then if if not all ready he starts to fall off. Tyler isn't the answer at backup let alone starter. So here is the main question, who best to draft to become our future behind Fitzmagic?

OK, this from a guy that doesn't have the chance to follow or watch college football I have to wonder something and respect the input of the masses that actually know. Who is there besides Luck. We have Fitz for what 4_5 more years at best then if if not all ready he starts to fall off. Tyler isn't the answer at backup let alone starter. So here is the main question, who best to draft to become our future behind Fitzmagic?

By your own ruminations, you've answered your own question - if Fitz has 4-5 years, there's really no need to draft a QB in April - probably no need next year either, unless of course there's some overlooked/under-rated value-pick that's so over-the-top obvious to Nix & Co.

(However, after the Bills have taken Levy Adcock/Courtney Upshaw/Donta Hightower in Rounds 1-3 B-), I think Nix would have to look hard at 6' 5" 240-lb. Arizona QB Nick Foles with one of our round 4 picks - if he's still on the board).

I think Robert Griffin III, I believe his name is, sounds like just exactly the kind of QB Gailey would go nuts with - however, since Luck is just about assured the First overall pick, I'm guessing this kid might go back for another year, and put himself in position to be the top pick in 2013.

I like Fitzpatrick's spirit, and who can help themselves when it comes to respecting his story, but I believe Fitz's success is more a product of Gailey than of anything else. Now, prior to this season I stated that Fitz was the best backup QB in the NFL. He's shown that he can win games, make smart decisions, is the sort of QB who can rally a team. He is also erratic at times, and I think, if our O-line weren't playing as good, would be playing much worse. That isn't to say that a lot of QB's wouldn't - look at Brady, for instance; a little bit of pressure and he turns mortal really quick. All this is getting at is Fitz can run Gailey's offense, but I don't think he can carry a team, or ever be exceptional. He has a quick mind, and can make reads, but the ball doesn't always go where he wants it to. So, I think as much as we have a winner in the Fitz/Gailey duo, I think Gailey could work his magic on a lot of other QB's, too, and I think he could do more, and we could be better, with other QB's.

Now, we have to prioritize, and add to our Defense where it is lacking, and maybe strenthen our TE position, but I would like to see us grab a young, talented QB to groom and to get familiar with Gailey's system.

And, I've got to believe that the hold-up with Fitz's contract (here, WGR was right, the Bills blew it by not signing him to a 2 or 3 year extension this summer, for what could've been very low numbers) is that Gailey and Nix both know Fitz is succeeding because he's in Gailey's offense, and they're weighing the chances of not paying him and finding success elsewhere with the certainty of paying him and moving forward with a QB who is capable, but limited.

Edited by sllib olaffub

By your own ruminations, you've answered your own question - if Fitz has 4-5 years, there's really no need to draft a QB in April - probably no need next year either, unless of course there's some overlooked/under-rated value-pick that's so over-the-top obvious to Nix & Co.

(However, after the Bills have taken Levy Adcock/Courtney Upshaw/Donta Hightower in Rounds 1-3 B-), I think Nix would have to look hard at 6' 5" 240-lb. Arizona QB Nick Foles with one of our round 4 picks - if he's still on the board).

Agree that we don't draft a qb in first rounds. Just not real keen on moving on any further with Tyler Pigpen there.

Ryan Tannehill baby, white version of Cam Newton (which Kills me to say cuz I thought Newton would suck). This kid is going to be sitting right there for us and after a few years of development we will have our own version of Bret Favre/ Aaron Rodgers :thumbsup:

Ryan Tannehill baby, white version of Cam Newton (which Kills me to say cuz I thought Newton would suck). This kid is going to be sitting right there for us and after a few years of development we will have our own version of Bret Favre/ Aaron Rodgers :thumbsup:

I agree with that plus if Fitz does get hurt Ryan is running a pro style offense at Texas A&M right now who likes to spread the field out just like Fitz. I think he would be the perfect project and he is a great athelete.

I like that Wisconsin QB, his name is slipping me right now.

Russell Wilson - transferred from NC State after Scott Tolzein graduated.

Kid looks great, but you're gonna hear that he's too short (5' 11"/191 lbs). The trend seems to be toward bigger and taller QBs (6' 3" and up) who can see over the towering (and seemingly ever-growing) offensive/defensive linemen. Also, Wilson was drafted by the Colorado Rockies and played for their minor league all last Spring - seem be some concern that he's conflicted between football and baseball.

Link - NY Times - Russell Wilson

Drafting Tannehill wouldn't suck, unless your name is Ryan Fitzpatrick, but most mocks have RT going in round one - I doubt the Bills are taking a QB in the first round.

I think Nix will take one of the Alabama LBs (Upshaw or Hightower) or an OT (Adcock, or maybe Adams) in the first - if he takes a QB at all, it won't be until day 3 (JMO).

That would be a nice draft. But I think that Tajh Boyd from Celmson fits in very well with the style of play that Gailey uses. If he is available, which he should be in the later rounds:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/31453/tajh-boyds-nfl-potential

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajh_Boyd

A good late round pick for the Bills after drafting a ton of pass rushers.

Kid looks great, but you're gonna hear that he's too short (5' 11"/191 lbs). The trend seems to be toward bigger and taller QBs (6' 3" and up) who can see over the towering (and seemingly ever-growing) offensive/defensive linemen. Also, Wilson was drafted by the Colorado Rockies and played for their minor league all last Spring - seem be some concern that he's conflicted between football and baseball.

Doesn't Wisconsin have one of the biggest O-lines in Div1? How does he see over them?

He's the same size as Vick and Brees.

I don't watch enough college football to provide a fair assessment but Kellen Moore has always seemed to me to be a quarterback a team can win with.

Pros:

Smart, accurate, good pocket presence, decent mobility, four-year starter - lots of evidence on him and that fits Nix's desires, good onfield leader, has played well both under center and in shotgun.

Cons:

not great size and not elite arm strength, questions about competition

...but there are plenty of winning QBs who fit that profile.

Doesn't Wisconsin have one of the biggest O-lines in Div1? How does he see over them?

He's the same size as Vick and Brees.

Yeah they do, and yeah he is...you must keep a table of the all the NFL QB's heights next to your PC just so you can proffer dumb height comparisons of NFL multiple-Pro Bowl QBs to slightly above-average NCAA one-year wonders.

Wisconsin’s most treasured football export has always been its beefy homegrown linemen, and the Badgers have always forged their bruising identity between the tackles. Wisconsin has traditionally relied on heady but unspectacular quarterbacks handing off to punishing tailbacks like Ron Dayne, Anthony Davis and P. J. Hill. Wisconsin’s archetype became a key recruiting tool when Bielema paraded his top eight linemen — more than 2,500 pounds of protection — into a room to meet Wilson on his visit this summer.

“He was taken aback,” Bielema said of the 5-foot-11 Wilson. “These guys are really big.”

(link)

Like I said, you'll hear people say he's too short. I didn't say it, and don't necessarily agree, but his size will be a negative for Wilson come draft time.

In fact, it's probably the size and quality of Wisconsin's o-line that making Wilson look so good. (Last year's starter for the Badgers - Scott Tolzien - had an outstanding season and college career as well, stands 4 inches taller than Wilson, yet went undrafted.)

I agree with that plus if Fitz does get hurt Ryan is running a pro style offense at Texas A&M right now who likes to spread the field out just like Fitz. I think he would be the perfect project and he is a great athelete.

Exactly, thank you.

Link - NY Times - Russell Wilson

Drafting Tannehill wouldn't suck, unless your name is Ryan Fitzpatrick, but most mocks have RT going in round one - I doubt the Bills are taking a QB in the first round.

I think Nix will take one of the Alabama LBs (Upshaw or Hightower) or an OT (Adcock, or maybe Adams) in the first - if he takes a QB at all, it won't be until day 3 (JMO).

would like all those guys but RT will be too irresistible to for Chany to pass on

but the ball doesn't always go where he wants it to.

I was in Vegas on Sunday and the only game on was Jets/Chargers. The Chargers have this highly regarded guy name Phillip Rivers. I saw several passes he threw that were not even in the same zip code as to where he wanted it to go. Every QB has passes like that.

Cons:

not great size and not elite arm strength, questions about competition

I too like Kellen Moore. He is taller than Drew Brees and Michael Vick and only 1 inch shorter than Fitz.

That would be a nice draft. But I think that Tajh Boyd from Celmson fits in very well with the style of play that Gailey uses. If he is available, which he should be in the later rounds:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/31453/tajh-boyds-nfl-potential

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajh_Boyd

A good late round pick for the Bills after drafting a ton of pass rushers.

I too like him but i think he is a sophmore so wouldn't he stay in college and try up his draft status