No Penaltys on New Orleans

BUFFALOKIE

EDIT: Oops - "No Penaltys on INDIANAPOLIS" how do I fix the title?

Did anyone else see the two plays I'm talking about?

On a touchdown in the third quarter, the N.O. ball carrier was falling into the endzone and was already wrapped up by one defender when a Colt speared him, making no contact other than helmet to helmet. No hands, no shoulders, not any other contact except the defenders helmet against the ball carriers helmet. I have never seen a more egregious helmet to helmet foul.

Later, in the fourth quarter, when the N.O. receiver got his lid knocked off, I swear he looked lucky to come up walking at all. It was another case when the ball carrier was on his way to the ground when the Indy defender speared, yes speared, with his helmet and shoulder pads directly into the side of the reciever's helmet.

No flag on either play.

I am not in favor of "pussification" of the game and all the new "defenseless reciever/ roughing the passer" rules, and actually, I think Donkykong is one of my new favorite players for how he roughs people up (another thread - dude plays hard, not dirty), but these two instances in this game were terrible. If there was ever a time for the league to fine a player for helmet to telmet contact, this it.

I wish I could link videos like some of you smart guys. Somebody check it out. They were really, really bad fouls, IMO.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

I don't recall either hit specifically - at that point we were pretty much halfway watching in the stadium. I will say that you can hit a ball carrier in the helmet situationally. Perhaps the refs didn't think they were defenseless players? Or maybe they had bad angles and fines will follow?

I know the game was a little chippy so I'd think the refs would be tight on dirty hits, to keep control.

I don't recall either hit specifically - at that point we were pretty much halfway watching in the stadium. I will say that you can hit a ball carrier in the helmet situationally. Perhaps the refs didn't think they were defenseless players? Or maybe they had bad angles and fines will follow?

I know the game was a little chippy so I'd think the refs would be tight on dirty hits, to keep control.

You are right, and I don't know the rules inside-out. I'd have to say though, that in both cases, the ball carrier was "defenselss". First hit, the carrier was falling down with a 300lb man on his back. Second hit, the receiver was also falling down after a strong initial hit by a defender, IIRC. Regardless, "spearing" has always been illegal, right?

You are right, and I don't know the rules inside-out. I'd have to say though, that in both cases, the ball carrier was "defenselss". First hit, the carrier was falling down with a 300lb man on his back. Second hit, the receiver was also falling down after a strong initial hit by a defender, IIRC. Regardless, "spearing" has always been illegal, right?

For a tackle a player is defenseless if progress is stopped or he's in the grass. I couldn't speak to these hits.